Tulum Ruins - Food at site and bathrooms

lovevacadays

We will be doing the Tulum tour in November. I read some threads that said there is food at the site. Seems like there is a Subway which we aren't interested in. Also, a mention of taco stands. Anyone know any additional details as to food offered there? I also saw a brief mention of margaritas. Being a margarita lover I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Also, I live in Southern Cal so have done the Mexican Rivera cruise 7 times. I never mind eating and drinking there as I know most places use purified water and ice machines. Any thoughts on the safety of eating or having a margarita at Tulum?

Also, does the ferry have restrooms? I know there is a stop mid-way through the bus tour but I am a big water drinker so don't want to get in a "desperate" situation if you know what I mean. So thinking bathroom on the ferry, bathroom about 20-25 minutes into bus ride and then bathrooms at Tulum. Does that sound accurate?

Also, we are doing the Tulum tour with shopping time in Playa Del Carmen before boarding the ferry. This is through Princess. Anyone know how long we will be in Playa Del Carmen before boarding the ferry? Also, my friend and I will do some shopping but will want to do a shot of teguila there since we are in Mexico. Kind of a tradition. Is there a good, easily accessible bar by the ferry dock we can go into?

Thanks for any info you can provide

• 2 weeks later...

We took the tour through NCL.

First- The tender boat to shore was rather large. I didn't look, but there may very well have been restrooms on board. (Word of caution- If your tender has open air seating, up top, in the back: Unless you want to get absolutely soaked with spray from the bow, choose inside seating. My wife and I didn't dry out till we actually got to Tulum!)

Second- I didn't notice restrooms on the bus, but they did stop about half-way at a souvenir shop, complete with restrooms, snacks, etc.

Third- At the Tulum site there is a large, modern tourist area with many different kinds of food and beverages to be purchased. Many of the vendors deal in pesos as well as American currency. We even got pesos from an atm. Interesting.

Tulum- as an archeological site is very impressive. Perhaps just as impressive is the view overlooking the ocean. Absolutely beautiful. If you go, you won't be disappointed.

Our particular tour was an all day affair. We had absolutely no time for shopping, either in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. Your tour may be different.

Any thoughts on the safety of eating or having a margarita at Tulum?

We did not actually eat anything there. We got a small box lunch on the bus as part of our tour. I did have a delicious beer, however!

This is a very popular tourist attraction. I doubt seriously if there would be any issues of food safety there. You will feel very safe and confident once you see it.

It's been quite a while since we visited Tuluum but there was a bathroom at the Playa Del Carmen pier area where the ferry puts in. Oddly enough to use it you needed to show a machinegun toting soldier/policeman? your ship's boarding card to gain access. With that level of security I expected something a little more...well perhaps a little less like the bathroom in Trainspotting. It was kinda shabby and the men's room had a slanted trough with a dribble of water at one end. It wasn't dirty, per se, but neither did it look so fine as to warrant an armed guard to gain entry.

• 1 month later...

They had a few taco stands at the entry to Tulum.. very cheap and yummy. Our tour offered snacks but we wanted something more. Can't remember about bathrooms at Tulum..but I believe our bus had a restroom and on the way there we stopped midway at a place to shop and use the restroom. The ferry had a bathroom as well and drinks served.

We went to Tulum while on a land vacation in Sept 08. There are bathrooms at Tulum - basic at best. Other than that I found that the introduction to Tulum (entrance) was as if you were in an American outdoor/indoor mall with pizza, Subway, souvenir shops etc.

If you watch various demonstrations - even from afar - they will expect you to pay for the demonstration. (I was waiting for my partner to come out of the bathroom, I looked over at the Mayan "flying men" (not sure the correct name) - not even close to the demonstration - and before I knew it, I was being asked for money for my momentary view.)

IMHO it was way to touristy and while Tulum is in a beautiful setting I have been to other sites that were much more impressive and interactive.

Enjoy Tulum, you will not be disappointed by the setting and if there are your first Mayan ruins, you will learn a lot! Have fun.

Archived