Lamanai or Landrover/river expedition?

Lisichka

I so can't decide on this one, and am hoping someone here has done both. The landrover expedition is a carnival tour and about $100pp. The Lamanai is of course an independent tour with all of it's associated risks.

There will be 2 adults and 3 kids (all boys, ages 11, 13 and 14).

I so can't decide on this one, and am hoping someone here has done both. The landrover expedition is a carnival tour and about $100pp. The Lamanai is of course an independent tour with all of it's associated risks.

We have only done the landrover tour and our boys (both 15) really enjoyed it. Of course, we live in the country so we like getting out in a jeep in the mud. We though it was worth the $100.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Lamanai tour through NCL (because of the associated risks). If you are willing to take those risks with an independent tour, you will not be disappointed. They know that you have to be back at a certain time. I don't think they would take on a tour like this without being reliable in that regard. It's an all-day excursion for sure. There is the boat ride up the New River to the ruins which is an adventure in itself. The boys will really enjoy it. (Sighted: One baby croc, numerous large iguanas, mosquito bats, snail kites, local fishermen and Mennonites!)

The Lamanai ruins are absolutely awesome. We heard, then saw a group of howler monkeys. The most incredible screaming noises you have ever experienced. They kept it up the whole time we were there. Then to see and actually climb to the top of the Mayan pyramid!! Incredible (but not the safest climb. There is a large rope to help you ascend and descend. Don't wear a skirt or dress unless you want everyone below you to see your goodies.

This tour was a once in a lifetime adventure for me. Loved every minute of it.

Archived