After Enjoying Others - My Golden Princess and Alaska thoughts

kooljamming

Ketchikan

This was a short day in town. I wanted to test my courage and do the zipline but thought to save it for Mexico for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the review, KJ. I am seriously considering Alaska for a future cruise, and DH and I went to an Alaska talk when we were on the Ruby in August. We saw this zipline thingy mentioned and are REALLY keen to do it :D That would be my main reason for going! OK, so perhaps the scenery might be worth seeing as well ;)

Anyway, back to the purpose of my post: How much did it cost to do it? From what you say it sounds a little pricey?

...So, all in all we had a fabulous cruise and are looking forward to sailing with Princess again. We just probably won't choose Alaska again. Too cold and boring.

Wow! This is one of the few negative things I have seen written about Alasks. I can understand the "cold" part, but please could you elaborate on the "boring" bit? I am interested in your thoughts, thanks :)

>>I think we may do the 10 day RT SF after our Hawaii cruise<<

I went on this cruise and loved every minute of it. There is nothing like sailing under the Golden Gate. The walkers on the bridge, stop and hoot and holler as you go under. Too cool.

I love Alaska. Have been twice and going again in July. It is absolutely my favorite place to go at the moment. Yes it can get chillly but I tell myself it is easier to get warm than cool. The garden in Juneau is gorgeous....too bad you missed it.

Apparently they are listening, they are adding the screen to most of their ships.:rolleyes:

Avoid most major public venue??? Are you kidding?? Since you haven't been on a Princess cruise yet, why not wait and see and then form your own opinion.

I am hoping they are truly adding Movies Under the Stars and not Movies All D@mn Day as a cheesy, cheap gimmick. We don't have to have everything on deck that we have at home. We don't have to be able to do everything on board we can do on land. I welcome a nice movie under the stars, with the only sound the one coming from the screen and the only movement, the ones of the actors. The response from the 'experts' here was to avoid the deck or stay home.:eek: After all they have been there and done it all, so please be kind to newcomers taking their advise.

Wheelhouse Bar: It was a new group, The Baby Dolls. I included a link of their performance in the New Years Eve album

Zip line: I can and will do it cheaper in Mexico. Overall excursions are expensive in Alaska. I will try it in Puerta Vallarta in February

Enjoy the pics, they were taken with many of you in mind;)

As for Alaska, I don't care how you get there, just get there if you can :-)

I hadn't seen anybody mention....they missed their "foreign port" ........

How does this effect the Passenger Services Act ???? I'm sure somebody knows how that works....I'd like to think they can't fine ya if for safety reasons ya can't make it

They refunded the port charge but with my luck there could be a $300 charge pending:eek::D

I know someone is about to post, well foreign ports or any isn't guaranteed so I should have known about PSA

I am hoping they are truly adding Movies Under the Stars and not Movies All D@mn Day as a cheesy, cheap gimmick. We don't have to have everything on deck that we have at home. We don't have to be able to do everything on board we can do on land. I welcome a nice movie under the stars, with the only sound the one coming from the screen and the only movement, the ones of the actors. The response from the 'experts' here was to avoid the deck or stay home.:eek: After all they have been there and done it all, so please be kind to newcomers taking their advise.

Enjoy the pics, they were taken with many of you in mind;)

As for Alaska, I don't care how you get there, just get there if you can :-)

Don't all cruiselines have their cheap gimmicks? Who really cares if these gimmicks are easily avoided? What I don't understand is how one would enjoy a movie under the stars but complain it "blares" all day.....the sound quality does not change from afternoon to night.

You have some great pictures! Thanks for posting.

Don't all cruiselines have their cheap gimmicks? Who really cares if these gimmicks are easily avoided? What I don't understand is how one would enjoy a movie under the stars but complain it "blares" all day.....the sound quality does not change from afternoon to night.

You have some great pictures! Thanks for posting.

What makes it horrid is that along with the sound you have people talking, laughing, crying, moving. It became very bad non-stop background noise. I watched Star Trek, at night, and even though it was cold I enjoyed it. What I loved about my first cruise on Princess was the fact they didn't stoop to the gimmick of Carnival with the water slide and RCCL with the this, that and the other. I saw it as what cruising was meant to be, which was a beautiful vessel taking you to wonderful places. It would be nice if they stayed true to the acronym and keep it under the stars. I almost cried leaving the Sapphire Princess in February. This was NOT because it was the aft balcony, anniversary, and no kids vacation :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Glad you enjoyed the pics:D

Doesn't the Golden have 3 pools as shown on the pics like the other grand ships? I think if one does not like the MUTS, don't go at that pool. You can't hear it from the other two pools which one is beautiful at the aft. Personally, we like MUTS and glad they have it. It is truly a relaxing experience so for those who don't like it while can't they use the other two pools? I could see a valid complaint if that was the only pool.

Doesn't the Golden have 3 pools as shown on the pics like the other grand ships? I think if one does not like the MUTS, don't go at that pool. You can't hear it from the other two pools which one is beautiful at the aft. Personally, we like MUTS and glad they have it. It is truly a relaxing experience so for those who don't like it while can't they use the other two pools? I could see a valid complaint if that was the only pool.

I think (could be wrong) there are only 2 where kids are allowed....maybe not?

The indoors and this main pool. The indoor can be stuffy after a few long hours. I understand this is a plus for some but if it is under the STARS, why is it sometimes on all day. If they change it to Movies All Day, then so be it. I hope you are not suggest the little kiddies in the aft pool area. Even I draw the line there;) Think kids, think mom watching kids by the pool:eek:

>>I think we may do the 10 day RT SF after our Hawaii cruise<<

I went on this cruise and loved every minute of it. There is nothing like sailing under the Golden Gate. The walkers on the bridge, stop and hoot and holler as you go under. Too cool.

I love Alaska. Have been twice and going again in July. It is absolutely my favorite place to go at the moment. Yes it can get chillly but I tell myself it is easier to get warm than cool. The garden in Juneau is gorgeous....too bad you missed it.

Did you really? What kind of activities do they offer? I heard from many that the nature talks are great, I'd love to attend those! We've sailed under the GG twice, both times going to the Mexican Riviera, and it is a hoot! BOY does it get cold in SF at sailaway!!! It makes it nice though because SF is our home port, so I can pack as much as I want:p What ship did you go on? Did you get to go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm?

Hey KoolJamming, out of curiosity, if you were to do this trip again, with or without the kids, would you recommend a balcony? I'm just thinking for the scenic cruising portion, was it very windy at times where you would think you couldn't use the balcony? Thanks in advance!

Your always so good about pictures!!! I just don't have the patience, we have some pics from other cruises, but even then, I don't know how to post them:o

I think (could be wrong) there are only 2 where kids are allowed....maybe not?

The indoors and this main pool. The indoor can be stuffy after a few long hours. I understand this is a plus for some but if it is under the STARS, why is it sometimes on all day. If they change it to Movies All Day, then so be it. I hope you are not suggest the little kiddies in the aft pool area. Even I draw the line there;) Think kids, think mom watching kids by the pool:eek:

I think once your kids are grown you don't think kids too much you think married young adults, so no I wasn't thinking that as I know that is for adults only. I was not aware the Golden has the sliding doom indoor pool like the Diamond so that is good for the colder places. We found we could do without MUTS during the day because it was too loud around the pool with people having fun but the kids did enjoy watching it that we saw as they saw by the pool.

Hey KoolJamming, out of curiosity, if you were to do this trip again, with or without the kids, would you recommend a balcony? I'm just thinking for the scenic cruising portion, was it very windy at times where you would think you couldn't use the balcony? Thanks in advance!

Your always so good about pictures!!! I just don't have the patience, we have some pics from other cruises, but even then, I don't know how to post them:o

Given the choice I would not-go-without-a-balcony;). With 2 kids that choice is rare. I would never cut back on excursions for accommodation. We had the aft on Sapphire Princess and it became apart of our vacation experience. Regardless of wind or rain, there is something specular about waking up and being greeted by the beauty of the outdoors. We just booked the hump balcony (they stick out from the ship, so you have a full view of aft and bow) on RCCL for Valentines Day's sailing.

thanks for the review KJ. we went on the golden last year with my two teens (14 and 16 at the time) and they loved the program and they are still in touch with many they met last year. this year we did the Sapphire and they had even more fun. the teen program is one thing that makes family vacations easy for me. they dont complain about the trip being boring and i dont have to ask them twice if they want to go. LOL

as for the Golden overall, it is a great ship. sorry about the dining issues. i had that similar thing happen to me on the Sapphire in the anytime dining. i was traveling as a single adult and didnt want to eat alone each night. for some odd reason they would never seat me with a group etc. seriously, i did shower and dress nicely, i promise. :D thankfully by the 3 night, my teens had me meet another single mother with her teen. at least we had dining partners the rest of the trip.

We just probably won't choose Alaska again. Too cold and boring.

i have been to Alaska twice and love the low key nature of the trip. everyone has different ideas about what a cruise vacation should be. personally i loved just wandering around the ship or sitting in various lounges in the common areas just doing nothing. LOL Alaska must not be for everyone.

Thanks for the review, KJ. I am seriously considering Alaska for a future cruise, and DH and I went to an Alaska talk when we were on the Ruby in August. We saw this zipline thingy mentioned and are REALLY keen to do it :D That would be my main reason for going! OK, so perhaps the scenery might be worth seeing as well ;)

Wow! This is one of the few negative things I have seen written about Alasks. I can understand the "cold" part, but please could you elaborate on the "boring" bit? I am interested in your thoughts, thanks :)

i highly recommend the voyage of the glaciers. we cruised from Whittier to Vancouver. the glacier days were amazing. we got so incredibly close to them. much closer than we did last year on the Golden doing the inside passage. the Glacier Bay day was amazing due to the picking up of several Park Rangers who narrated parts of our cruise and pointed out various wildlife up and back.

hope you get to Alaska. it is like no other place. yes, it can be chilly and/or wet but with the proper clothing it is not a problem. ;)

i had that similar thing happen to me on the Sapphire in the anytime dining. i was traveling as a single adult and didnt want to eat alone each night. for some odd reason they would never seat me with a group etc.

We had the very same problem on Sapphire Princess (w/o the kids). We were ONLY offered table for 2. We wanted to share and offered to wait. Not knowing if this was similar on the Golden we changed our sail date to get confirmation with TD (missed kids registration). Every time I shared my experience about Sapphire, someone came and implied I was being negative. Most of the people sitting around us were denied the opportunity to share a large table. Our tables were not connected but our conversation flowed freely. Thanks for posting so others going on Sapphire Princess can be ready for this possibility. We found our own tablemates for 2 nights but ate by oursleves the other 5.

I agree, Alaska is a place like no other;)

[quote name='kooljamming']We had the very same problem on Sapphire Princess (w/o the kids). We were ONLY offered table for 2. We wanted to share and offered to wait. Not knowing if this was similar on the Golden we changed our sail date to get confirmation with TD (missed kids registration). Every time I shared my experience about Sapphire, someone came and implied I was being negative. Most of the people sitting around us were denied the opportunity to share a large table. Our table was not connected but our conversation flowed freely. Thanks for posting so other going Sapphire Princess can be ready for this[B] possibility.[/B]

I agree, Alaska is a place like no other;)[/QUOTE]

you are welcome. i generally don't like to spin the negative but i found this seating "policy" very odd. when i cruised on the Golden last year, my companion and i were sat at a bigger table with several couples. i loved having dinner with new and interesting people each night. there was always good conversation. my kids even joined us a few times and enjoyed talking to other adults, too.

as for the Sapphire: what was really funny, in a sad way, was the couples that were sat on each side of my table also thought it was odd that 1) i was sat alone when there tables that could've accommodate everyone in that section, 2) they were also puzzled as to why they were sat as a couple when they had requested sitting at a larger table. :confused:

i have to wonder if this wasn't some new strategy or policy. it definitely does not add to the cruising fun. as for Alaska, yes, i am currently contemplating another Alaska cruise next year. ;)

[quote name='dreams_of_travel']you are welcome. i generally don't like to spin the negative but i found this seating "policy" very odd. when i cruised on the Golden last year, my companion and i were sat at a bigger table with several couples. i loved having dinner with new and interesting people each night. there was always good conversation. my kids even joined us a few times and enjoyed talking to other adults, too.

as for the Sapphire: what was really funny, in a sad way, was the couples that were sat on each side of my table also thought it was odd that 1) i was sat alone when there tables that could've accommodate everyone in that section, 2) they were also puzzled as to why they were sat as a couple when they had requested sitting at a larger table. :confused:

i have to wonder if this wasn't some new strategy or policy. it definitely does not add to the cruising fun. as for Alaska, yes, i am currently contemplating another Alaska cruise next year. ;)[/quote]
Its a conspiracy!!! They don't want anyone talking to eachother!!! LOL, Hey, it could happen:rolleyes: lol, they don't want those who know they're drinking syrup coffee, to tell those who don't know they're drinking syrup coffee:D Okay okay I'll be serious now. Thanks KoolJamming! We wanted the balcony (of course) but then thought what a waste of $$ it would be if the weather was unbearable to sit and use the balcony. I don't mind cold, cold I can do! Just give me a blanket and nice warm PJ's and I'm good to go, but if its cold and windy, well that's another story! If we could use our balcony 6 out of the 10 days it would be worth it!

[quote name='CrusinAgain']I think once your kids are grown you don't think kids too much you think married young adults, so no I wasn't thinking that as I know that is for adults only. I was not aware the Golden has the sliding doom indoor pool like the Diamond so that is good for the colder places. We found we could do without MUTS during the day because it was too loud around the pool with people having fun but [B]the kids did enjoy watching it[/B] that we saw as they saw by the pool.[/quote]

To kids Muts on Princess is like the water slide on Carnival....FUN!
Sadly, a few posters who I am pretty sure haven't actually used the kids program recently, are putting it on par with Carnival and RCCL. On paper and my experience there is a clear difference. Parents with young kids might take the advise to retreat to the other quiet areas to get away from the movies they have already seen 10 times. Not a bad idea expect they might take the kids, where allowed but not necessarily welcome, or the dreaded walkie talkie. In my book it perfectly OK to have a line that is not 100 percent accommodating to everyone, even kids;) If I choose it knowing this then I will make the necessary adjustment.

[quote name='kooljamming']
Sadly, a few posters who I am pretty sure haven't actually used the kids program recently, are putting it on par with Carnival and RCCL.[/quote]

Not sure who you are referring to as many of the positive posts I've seen here regarding the children's program are from people who have traveled within the last year or even the last few months. I guess you would see me as one of the biggest cheer leaders and since my most recent experiences were on the Diamond Princess on our B2B Alaska cruise in July and our cruise on the Golden last Christmas, I think my comments are pretty current. I completely respect your opinion regarding your assessment of the Princess children's program based on your one experience, but I think the assumption that it reflects the opinion of all those who cruised recently is not necessarily the case and is not really fair.

It's cool that you think Carnival and RCCL are better for kids, but that's not my experience. We had our worst experiences with the children's program on our cruises with Carnival and RCCL. And yet even I wouldn't judge their entire program based on only two cruises with Carnival and two cruises with RCCL. I still am guessing they probably have more to offer than what we experienced and perhaps under different circumstances my kids might have a better time. I certainly wouldn't write off the whole program based on such limited experience. I think you are selling the Princess children's program a bit short just because you had one less than stellar experience on one ship.

[SIZE=3]For the OP sometimes maybe we expect too much from a vacation or cruise. Of course the higher the expectation the greater the disappointment.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We all have a right to voice our own opinion and if something is out of your control all you can do is voice your opinion. However, somethings are under your control or even partially under your control and these items you do have some control over. If you don't like MUTS don't watch it. If you want a bigger table ask the MD for another table. If the waiters are too slow a talk with their head waiter will fix that in a hurry. If you don't want to be in a crowded cabin don't book four people in it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Our cruise on the Island August 17 Vancouver to Whittier was a delightful cruise in some of the worst weather we have ever encountered in Alaska. We also did a review on it. We are very sorry yours was not as enjoyable.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Jack[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]for the[/SIZE]

Wow! This is one of the few negative things I have seen written about Alasks. I can understand the "cold" part, but please could you elaborate on the "boring" bit? I am interested in your thoughts, thanks :)[/quote]

Yes I can. You have to look where I am coming from. I was born and raised in the Seattle area and the parts of AK we visited, the SE section of AK, is very similar in scenery to where I live. We took the coach tour to the Yukon and we all fell asleep on the way back. Nothing much to look at. All we saw for most of cruising were evergreen trees and rocks. We saw no wildlife, an occasional waterfall, and a few glaciers. Our family talked and decided we want to cruise in the warm tropics for a change of scenery. We are not "outdoorsy" people and prefer to vacation where we have things to do.

[quote name='Wishing on a star']OMG, whoever came up with M.U.T.S ought to be shot...

I think that on the Ruby, they at least have breaks and other activities on deck.
:confused:[/QUOTE]

I believe on the Ruby you'll be able to go to the Neptune Pool, where you'll be on the back side of MUTS. I don't remember it being a problem during our Crown sailing, as we usually sat one deck up from the pool and well behind the screen (and listened to our own music). I didn't remember it at all on Sapphire, but we were in Alaska and mostly sat on our balcony!

We'll get to experience it first-hand on Ruby next March. Maybe this time we'll even take in a night-time showing. ;)

Pauline, I enjoyed your review and loved the photos. I loved Alaska and would love to go back someday.

[quote name='NotWthOutablcony']Hey KoolJamming, out of curiosity, if you were to do this trip again, with or without the kids, would you recommend a balcony? I'm just thinking for the scenic cruising portion, was it very windy at times where you would think you couldn't use the balcony? Thanks in advance!
Your always so good about pictures!!! I just don't have the patience, we have some pics from other cruises, but even then, I don't know how to post them:o[/QUOTE]

We had an uncovered balcony on Dolphin deck for our Alaska cruise. It was wonderful! It wasn't windy at all, and we were very lucky that we didn't have any rain until we got to Juneau and Ketchikan. We did the southbound from Whittier to Vancouver and sailing College Fjord and Glacier Bay was magnificent. We stayed on our balcony for almost those entire two days -- wearing jeans and short-sleeve t-shirts. It was only when we went to the top deck that we had to dress warmly--I wore scarf, hat, gloves, but I saw plenty of people in shirt-sleeves. This was end of May, early June, so very early in the season.

And it doesn't matter which side of the ship you're on when sailing those two areas because the captain turns the ship so all sides have equal viewing times. Our naturalist was good, too. I've read one review where she didn't say much. Ours kept up a steady narrative.

[quote name='CruisinEars']
Yes I can. You have to look where I am coming from. I was born and raised in the Seattle area and the parts of AK we visited, the SE section of AK, is very similar in scenery to where I live. We took the coach tour to the Yukon and we all fell asleep on the way back. Nothing much to look at. All we saw for most of cruising were evergreen trees and rocks. We saw no wildlife, an occasional waterfall, and a few glaciers. Our family talked and decided we want to cruise in the warm tropics for a change of scenery. We are not "outdoorsy" people and prefer to vacation where we have things to do.[/QUOTE]

that is an excellent explanation. it makes total sense, too. i would imagine this happens to those who live in Florida not wanting to go to the caribbean. or Californians not wanting to go to Mexico. i could be wrong about this but seems logical.

Karatemom - I sincerely respect that this program worked for your family. I am sorry if I misread another post stating those who did not enjoy the program were digruntled.

Hi Jack - Give a girl a break. You commented only on the negative aspects of the review. Throw me a bone and brownie points on the excursions and pics;) The thoughts and pics were to share my experience as honestly as possible. I assume you did not enjoy either:eek: I do hope others can learn something and have fantastic vacation in Alaska, regardless of ship. I would not put the albums together or post the review if that wasn't my sincere wish. The cruise did not meet my expectation however Alaska surpassed it.

Archived