Lighters or Matches?

Ptown

Does anyone know for sure what the new policy is at the airport for having lighters in your carry-on. I understand that you can not have lighters, (Bic, Zippo) but what about a book of matches in you carry on luggage? I have not been able to find a clear answer on this. :confused: Thanks in advance.

Dave

This is from the TSA's website:

NO MATCHES OR LIGHTERS OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.

ONLY the following types of lighters (LIMIT 2) and matches (LIMIT 4 books) are allowed in CARRY-ON BAGGAGE, or ON YOUR PERSON:

• Lighters fueled with liquefied gas (example, Bic™ lighters)
  • Lighters fueled with absorbed liquid (example, Zippo™ lighters)
  • Safety matches

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT SOME MANUFACTURERS MAKE BOTH PROHIBITED AND PERMITTED LIGHTERS. IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT WHETHER OR NOT YOUR LIGHTER OR MATCHES WILL PASS CHECKPOINT INSPECTION, WE RECOMMEND YOU LEAVE THE ITEM BEHIND, AND NOT INCLUDE IT IN YOUR TRAVEL PLANS.

Having a background in law and being a smoker, I was curious about the new law because I use a zippo lighter. I looked at the law, which is supposed to take effect 60 days after the President signs it (he signed it about a week and a half ago). Nowhere could I find any mention of zippo lighters. The only reference I found to lighters was to butane type lighters. Zippo's don't use butane. I called the TSA and asked if zippo's were still allowed and the person I spoke with told me the law was intended to cover any flammable devices (his words, not mine). I then asked him what the exact date was when the new restrictions would go in effect and he said they already were in effect. I asked him how that could be if the law does not go into effect until 60 days after the President signs it. His response? We don't have to wait for the law to go into effect. So it appears the TSA is interpreting the new law to mean anything -zippos, bics, matches, acetylene torches, welders, etc. Gotta love that government bureauracy.

Archived