Take your own luggage onboard?

christian19

I just read a review that says you can take your own luggage to your room when you embark instead of letting the porters take it. I'm packing light anyway and would love to have ALL my luggage as soon as I'm able to go to my room instead of waiting for it to come around. Is this possible? Do they just run your luggage through the scanner with the other carryons? Thanks. First time cruiser here.

We frequently take our luggage on ourselves. You can take bags that are larger than airline carry-on, but as noted earlier, it has to fit through the scanner. The only down side is when you board early you and your luggage go everywhere until they let you in the cabins, normally 1PM.

Although we didn't take our main luggage with us upon boarding, we took our Carry Ons. This past Oct for our Hawaii Cruise on the ROS, and after boarding, they were there to have everyone drop off in a holding area near the elevators, our carry ons and at 1 PM, they delivered to our rooms, so we didn't have to tote around for a couple hours.

I just measured our largest bag;

L 25" not including the wheels

W 20

D 12

We've carried that one aboard at Port Canaveral and Port Everglades. Don't know how much bigger of a bag the scanner will accomodate but from what I could see it looks like the depth would be more of a controlling factor than L and W, at least on this particular bag.

We frequently take our luggage on ourselves. You can take bags that are larger than airline carry-on, but as noted earlier, it has to fit through the scanner. The only down side is when you board early you and your luggage go everywhere until they let you in the cabins, normally 1PM.
If you give your bag to the porters, when it is delivered it just sits in the hall until you claim it. So why do you have to take your luggage everywhere you go? Why is setting your carried on bags somewhere out of the way any different than the cruise line leaving your bag unattended outside your cabin door?

Thom

If you give your bag to the porters, when it is delivered it just sits in the hall until you claim it. So why do you have to take your luggage everywhere you go? Why is setting your carried on bags somewhere out of the way any different than the cruise line leaving your bag unattended outside your cabin door?

Thom

Not sure where exactly "out of the way" would be. The doors to the cabin areas are closed and locked til 1pm (or whenever they are ready for pax) so you could not leave your bags by your door. I would also guess that unattended bags may get taken away (and possibly destroyed) as they are done at airports or other public venues. I don't think I'd chance it.

Newbie when we boarded the ROS last Oct, & I assume they did the same on each deck, we were on the 9th deck, they had crew members there, making sure your Carry ons had Room Tags and we were told to leave with them & left in an area next to the outside Elevators. By 1 PM, they were taken to your room. When we got done with lunch and went back to check our room, our Carry ons were already in our room.

When we first started travelling, (flying and cruising) we did a lot of "toting our own" bags around...and while we do like to unpack as quickly as possible when we board, over the years we have come to realize that utilizing the porter and the RCI staff is just so much more convenient that we let them do it.

I guess it's just become a part of the whole "travelling experience" for us and we include the risk / rewards of having others "do for us" as an added enjoyment.

Thom

If the bags are outside your cabin or placed in a staging area where they will place them outside your cabin, I don't think there is any real problem. We were not offered that option. I'm just not going place them somewhere out of the way where there maybe a chance they could be moved without me knowing it. It's not usually that long of a wait until 1, just something to consider.

Archived