Louisbourg partially open vs. Cabot Trail or others sites?

I called Louisbourg directly. That said that up until Oct. 15th, everything will be open. Oct 16th to the end of the month, only the fortress is open. All of the other buildings will be closed but you can walk around the area and look at the outside of the buildings. There will not be the actors in costumes.

I read some of the other posts but still can't figure out if we should cancel our ship tour to Louisbourg since it is so highly recommended on the posts. I did call the cruise line to see if the price was going to be adjusted (since the description they have online is not accurate and they are not. Still $59 pp).

My question:

Is it worth going now?

If not, what is a good alternative? I did read about Cabot Trail but I am not sure. Do you have to drive along the edge of a cliff? I am afraid of heights. We are also considering the ship's tour: TREK TO BADDECK & THE BELL MUSEUM. There doesn't seem to be many private tour offered compared to other ports. Anyone done this one?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS Still can't decide what to do in Saguenay because there is very little info out there about this port. Any ideas?

I just gave my comments here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21255975&posted=1#post21255975

The Cabot Trail goes up and down hills along the edge of the ocean. However the road is wide with shoulder and guard rails so it is not that scary. to be extra secure drive in the clockwise direction so you are on the inside of the road.

I would not pay the money for the ship's tour to Louisbourg. You are just going to have to come back.

I do not live in Cape Breton, but I have been there many, many times and love it! I do not know about private tour companies there. You can do a search on Cruise Critic, using words such as Sydney, private tour, etc. You can also do a google search.

The road goes along an inland arm of the sea which looks more like a lake. Bras D'or means arm of gold and they are very beautiful in the sunlight. There are no cliffs. Check into renting a car as well. Again a google search on Cruise Critic will have information about that.

Archived