Explorer Western (w/ Belize) themes/shows?

Has anybody out there done the Explorer Western itinerary (w/ Belize) and can you help with what the menu themes and ice show nights are? Also, if you know what the formal nights are and if there are nights that Adventure Ocean does organized kids dinners? Trying to do some final planning and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kurt

Explorer 5/04

Grand Princess 5/02

Century 7/00

Sovereign 6/96

Big Red Boat 4/90

Kurt,

I've sailed Explorer twice and will be sailing her again this summer on the western route that includes Belize. So, I ca't answer specific questions about that route but I can answer questions about the ship, in general. The real reason for answering you is that I also live in Hudson. Small world.

Marcy

Marcy,

I guess it is a really small world!

As long as I have found a fellow "Hudsonite" with Explorer experience...

1. Did you try Portifino's? Comments?

2. Was dress code first evening pretty casual?

3. Any advice for nice spots which maybe are not obvious?

4. We will have our kids, girl 10 and boy 7 with us. Did kids seem to be enjoying Adventure Ocean? (we do not "dump" the kids, but they will want to go there some)

Thanks,

Kurt

Explorer 5/04

Grand Princess 5/02

Century 7/00

Sovereign 6/96

Big Red Boat 4/90

Hi Kurt!

I probably see you or your family in Acme all the time! It's seems to be the social highlight of our week.

We met a group of about 30 cruise critic people on these boards and we met them the night before the ship sailed in Miami for dinner and to get to know each other! We were with them most of the trip and had so much fun.

At the Meet and Mingle party, my husband and I won dinner for 2 at Portofino's. The food and service were excellent, but personally, I won't pay to go there this trip as I feel I've already paid enough for the cruise. Also, I love the dining experience in the Main Dining Room and we had nice table mates.

The dress code the first night was casual, although I did have a pair of pants/skirt for each family member in our carry-on since I don't feel comfortable in the dining room in shorts.

Nice spots on the ship? Be sure to find the observation deck in the bow of the ship. I think you take the stairs from deck 4 up to the bow.

I have a 12 year old boy and 15 year old girl. The older one felt the kids club was so-so and preferred to meet kids on her own. My son loved the kids club and would bolt from dinner (early seating) to go to the room, change into shorts, and check himself in. He often stayed past 10 p.m. and didn't want to leave until 1, it costs $5/hr from 10-1. We allowed my son to sign himself in and out. He had to call us on the walkie talkie if he left and tell us what he was doing. He definately didn't feel "dumped."

If they have spots left, I highly recommend swimming with the dophins in Cozumel. (This year we're going to Paradise Beach). We didn't book with the ship but did it directly on-line. In Cozumel went went swimming with the sting rays with Nativeway. (This year, swimming at 7 Mile Beach). Belize and Costa Maya will be new for us. We're booking with Coral Breeze in Belize for snorkeling with the sharks and rays.

Have you tried the roll-call board for other cruise critic people sailing with you? And, have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle?

Please, ask away with any questions!

Marcy

Archived