How does P&O compare to Carnival?

UKCruiser_2008

We have been on just one cruise, on the Carnival Triumph last year. We thought it was excellent - it's a relaxed kind of cruise but everyone is polite and (fairly) well-behaved. Some drunkeness but what you would expect from people having a good time on holiday. The food and service were excellent and at around £400 per person for a 7-night cruise with a large balcony stateroom it was such good value for money.

How do the British-run cruises compare? I am getting the impression that standards are either very high with older, sensible passengers or it's a party ship which is run like Butlins (like the Ventura). Are the standards of food and service higher in the USA?

Carnival ships can certainly be amazingly good value. Of that line I have only cruised o/b Carnival Conquest and I didn't think the service was particularly good and the food was average. I also think the standard of food on board P&O ships has deteoriated over the years but the service always seems to be of a pretty high standard and the dress code tends to be more formal. Age groups vary depending on the time & type of cruise, eg school holidays/USA spring break you will probably get a younger, rowdier crowd, shorter cruises to the sun will probably be younger whereas longer cruises and those to Alaska/Baltic tend to be older on average. I think standard of service can vary tremendously and you may be very lucky or unlucky with your waiter/cabin steward etc and a good Captain usually helps the general morale of crew. I don't have a huge loyalty to any particular line (so many of the ships are under the Carnival umbrella anyway now) but look at itinerary and price first and then check the reviews. Hope this helps a bit.

Archived