Taking your own tray to the HAL Lido Deck

sands28

I had not heard about the No tray rule.

No trays in the Lido ?
I guess you two haven't been reading much here for the last 9 or 10 months!! :) There have been several loooooong threads discussing the removal of Lido trays. Here is one of the longest ones:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=880024

I have designed and built a custom fold up tray specifically for Lido dining.It folds down to 7" X 10"....about the size of a new 'netbook' computer. It comes in four designer high-gloss colours and has a built in ashtray in one corner.

I figure that handles the tray AND smoking issues adequately.

I bet you could iron on it too:eek:

Out of curiosity I wrote to HAL and asked if this is possible. Here is the reply I received:

"This might be a question about the trays that we would have to ask the ship specifically about if they would allow trays to be brought to the lido. If you can provide the ship and or booking number we can research this a bit further."

From the above it appears that there is no Corporate policy and it may even be different on the same ship at different times.

I thought I "needed" the tray but found out that the world keeps on spinning even thought you don't have one...If you are a water drinker, bring a cheap 16 ounce plastic glass and if you're a coffee drinker bring some sort of a big mug...Water comes in a juice glass that has just come out of the dishwasher and it's so warm that it needs to be filled with a lot of ice, ergo, there is little room for water....and if you need/like more than a few ounces of coffee you're out of luck....Several times at breakfast, there were no cups, you usually have to stand in line while the "coffee guy" fills the cup....if you're lucky the "refill man" will come by your table but you can't always count on it....your own big mug is the way to go.

If there is 2 or more at your table, I didn't think it was a big deal to go back and get other items, desert, more pancakes etc. There is "usually" not the same kind of line that we're use to when everybody with a tray had to wait until the line moves forward. Most everybody will be standing in a short line for different items; eggs, pancakes, fruit etc. It works much like the juice section..

There was plenty of help on our recent full ship, for those that looked like they needed help or for those that asked....And there is a big stack of trays, behind the wall, that is used for dirty dishes...Suppect they are washed after being used so I guess you could "borrow" one...

I would like to think that when the time comes to re-supply the dishes, they would go with the bigger platters that Princess uses...

This and all the tray threads have been interesting.

Today my dh and I stopped at Panera Bread to purchase bread. We passed a women eating her bagel on a small tray. As we drove out of the parking lot there she was heading to her car with the small brown tray in hand. All I could think was she must be going on a cruise.:D

marion

Archived