Ages for separate rooms

When I looked into this I was told that the cruise line does not care who is in a room once you are boarded. It is up to the parents to decide but they want you to book it as though there was a child and adult in each cabin. We actually opted for a suite for the next cruise though. My kids are still a bit young to be trusted (11 and 14)

We took our 2 boys a couple of years ago and they had their own room right across the hall from us. They were 14 and 15 at the time. It really worked well for all of us. We are going again in March and will have separate rooms again.

We decided to change our reservation to two rooms so that the teenagers could stay up a bit later than us and sleep in a bit later, as is the case at home on weekends!! I told my TA that I didn't want any trouble at the pier that might start our vacation off on the wrong foot so to be sure RCCL knew that the kids were teenagers and they were going to be in a room without adults. This seemed to be no problem at all. I wanted to avoid any key for the room problem that might occur if we fibbed and said that each teen was going to have an adult with them. Being up front meant that everything would be taken care of without having to change the keys after we were on board. I'm not sure if the seapass cards doubles as the room key, but I know we would have to change something once on board if we didn't have the kids registered to their room and the same for us. A couple of things not to forget, tell whomever your booking with to be sure the kids are put at the same table as you in the diningroom and depending where their room is located in regards to yours, they may have a different muster station and location for their life boat drill. I'm very happy with my decision to have the two separate rooms. I think its going to make the cruise a lot more enjoyable for everyone and certainly will ALMOST cut out the arguements that could arise between teens and parents. You shouldn't have any trouble booking your teens into their own room. Best of luck. :p

We booked a cruise for March in connecting rooms. My 4 and 7 year old kids are in one and DH and I are in the other. When I booked by calling RCCL, the person said that if the cabins were "close", it didn't matter if the parents were in one cabin and the kids were in the other. Now I'd never consider letting my kids sleep across the hall from us at their ages, but our adjoining cabins will make it very nice!

My sister and her husband had their 17 year old son in a separate room. They were not allowed to book it that way but once on board were able to change the room keys with no problem at the pursers desk.

Thanks! I thought I could book them separately, but wanted to be sure! Now if I book online - how do you get the same table, etc? Wait to get on board? For this situation, is it better to book over phone? We used a TA this past year and were disappointed with them. I thought I would try to book this next cruise myself.

Personally, I don't have experience booking online. But, if you do, just put the rooms in the correct names. RCCL does not have a problem with this as long as the rooms are quite close together. As far as the diningroom, I believe if you are not speaking to a TA, you would have to check on that as soon as you board the ship. That's not a problem either, many people change their seating arrangements at the beginning and sometimes midway through the cruise. If you would like to email me, I can tell you who I booked with, and also saved a bit of $$$$$$.

Archived