Packing Advice needed for a nervous bride!

With less than two weeks to go before we leave for our Carnival wedding, I'm wondering how much is too much to pack...we're doing back to back cruises so we'll be gone a total of two weeks with several days in Miami. How are other cruise brides packing?

I'm currently planning to bring my dress as a carry on (especially important for the plane ride down) but I would also like to bring a small suitcase with wheels which will carry some of our breakable wedding items. The problem is that this means that my veil and shoes will need to be checked which I'm not so comfortable with.

Should FI also be hand-carrying his suit? We're not marrying until the 5th day of our cruise but I'm worrying about not having everything that we will need.

Can anyone provide any advice/reassurance?

:) Hey There:

First I would like to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding. Much luck, love and happiness to you and your future husband.

DH/I are in the process of working on arrangements to have our vows renewed for our 10th anniversary in July. Granted I may not be flying but my wedding gown (yes I'm wearing it again) will not leave my sight until I drop in off in my cabin.

I have some advice for you and hopefully it will help you out.

1 ~ Is it possible to pack your veil and shoes with your gown? Ask your bridal shop if they have a cover for your veil and a clear plastic bag with a handle to place your shoes in. Maybe you can hang your veil/shoe bags on your hanger and tuck it in your dress for extra protection. I bet bridal shops have dealt with this request before so maybe they can help you out.

2 ~ If you are really worried about the suit, then bring it with you.

3 ~ Check with the airlines first to make sure they can accommodate your request about bringing your gown/suit/wedding breakables on the plane. There are so many rules for flying so might as well check and be on the safe side.

4 ~ If you have a steamer bring it with you in case you need to steam out any wrinkles in your gown/suit the last minute unless the cruise line will do it for you (not sure what they would charge or if you actually want them to touch your gown).

Hope this information is helpful and I wish you all best. Have a wonderful wedding and a fantastic honeymoon.

Congratulations!

Trish

Check with your airline, but...

The airline I am flying on counts the gown as my one and only carry on. Each passenger is also allowed a small bag, like a purse or a briefcase, but only one carry on. We are still trying to figure out how to fit his tux, our shoes, gifts for our attendants and valuables that can't be checked into the one carry on that he'll get. Anything else needs to fit in my purse -- you can bet it'll be a really big one! :eek:

I actually packed my shoes and veil in the same garment bag with my dress, and it was totally fine, (granted i didn't have to fly) but i was definitely not as nervous

I also went on a back to back cruise, and I will tell you honestly I way overpacked.

Good luck!

B

cbcoffeegirl -- I'm not sure I'd recommend that. We've flown 3 times in the past two months on a couple different airlines and seen some pretty strict enforcement of the one carryon (rolly bag or whatever will fit in their bin) and the "personal item" (diaper bag, purse, briefcase). I wouldn't set myself up for stress/upset when they tell me that I can't take both bags and have to check one....especially if I'm using up my checked bag limit already.

(Horror story sort of -- we cruised in 2003 and had delta airlines tell us we had to check another bag b/c my DF was carrying on a smallish rolly bag and then a 1 ft by 6 inch "personal item" -- happened to be our toiletry bag, but was smaller than a purse, diaper bag OR briefcase/laptop bag but b/c it matched our luggage (I think) and the woman was an unfriendly little creature, she insisted he had to check either the 1 ft. by 6 inch apparently not personal item or the rolling bag (which was much smaller than their required size, btw....) SO we were going to have pay extra to check the damned thing b/c we were already checking 2 bags each. Nevermind that he didn't have ANYTHING else...no coat, no book, nothing....he wasn't pushing the rule, which was printed on their website (which I tried to point out...she just said....you're going to have to check one of those......). I had a shoulder type purse and a rolly bag of the same size. Instead we managed to get the (VERY small) toiletry bag inside his rolly bag and were fine, but very irritated by the strange interpretation of the rules........

SO, with that as our background experience, I will be checking with my airline and following their policy to the letter......and I'd recommend anyone who wants to avoid stress before their wedding to do likewise.

Archived