St. John: What are the "must see" sights and attractions?

swdke

St. John: What are the "must see" sights and attractions?

Also, if I rent a car, is this the best way to get around and check out the recommended sights?

I don't recommend renting a car unless you are going to St. Martins. You can walk to most everything - a car would be an unnecessary burden/hassle.

City Market

Barbour's General Store

Area where ship docks - old historic area

Hi I did this crib sheet for my forthcoming visit, hope you find some useful information on it for your excursion. I got all this info from the net so you will need to check things like bus times for accuracy, I have a feeling that they might be peak time schedules:

Easy port with no tendering. Dock at Marco Polo (Pugsley) A

Only 10-15 mins walk from town centre.

FREE WIFI AT JAVA MOOSE

Java Moose Cafe has WIFI Prince William Street and their location in the Old City Market.

Saint John Marina

There is a boardwalk that goes partially around the harbour -- it's a pleasant walk that will lead you to the centre of Saint John.

Walkable, some hills but pedway and escalators

The people in this city are extremely friendly and hospitable. They will greet you off the ship and answer any questions you have.

Saint John - Canada's oldest incorporated city. A seaport, the second busiest in the Maritime Provinces after Halifax. Very historical. The city is known as "The Loyalist City" and was the home of many loyalists who fled from south of the border during the American Revolution. Benedict Arnold came to Saint John, for example.

The major attraction is the Reversing Falls, but tide times may not fit the ship's schedule in port.

The downtown area is very nice and can be interesting just walking around. Places worthwhile to see include the City Market (very unique), Market Square and King Square.

From Market Sq opp Hilton on Waterfront, use escalators, pedway system thro Brunswick Sq shopping centre, tunnel and escalator (inside connection) to Old St John City market.

Exit on street at top of market and walk down towards ship via historic Trinity Royal area.

Things to see:

Imperial Theatre, Old Market,

King’s Square for people watching

Trinity Royal heritage preservation area

Queens’ Square for peace and quiet

Fort Howe, Carleton Martello Tower.

United Empire Loyalist Burial grounds - top end of City market, straight ahead 1 block

Hopewell Rocks - highly recommended

Internet: PRUDE Community centre, 3rd floor, Old St John city market.

Shopping - Brunswick Sq shopping, Lawton’s Pharmacy 1st level

FeelGood store 89 Germain St.

Good food:

Holly's Soho Cafe at the top of the escalator in Market Square where the locals go

9.45 and 12.45hours Bus tour from Loyalist square $18

Reversing Falls Walking distance 40 minutes 5 miles round trip

CHECK what time reversal takes place

Bus to Reversing Falls :

?? Bus going to the falls from City Hall - It is now Route #1 leaving at least every 20 minutes.

Coming back from the falls - it is now Route #2 leaving atleast every 20 minutes.

The fare is now $2.50 CDN - OK to use $USD

• 1 month later...

HOPEWELL ROCKS! If your time in port allows, be sure to go to the Hopewell Rocks. It is well worth the trip and the scenery along the way is not what you would expect to find inland.

We used Freedom Tours at a cost of $90 Canadian dollars per person. There is a minium of 4 people needed for them to do the tour. They will pick up right from where your ship docks and return you there on the way back. They use a mini van with a driver and a tour guide. Food is on your own and they make at least 4 rest stops for the restrooms and food.

The best part, they know when the tide will be low so you can enjoy walking on the bottom of the ocean and manage to get you there before the tours buses so you have complete access to the beach to take photos and walk around in an uncrowded environment.

My co-worker sailed the week before me and booked the ship's tour at $170 per person (US) and arrived when the water was already covering the bottom steps on the beach! Their included lunch was a make your own buffet sandwiches.

Need I say more....!

MARAPRINCE

Archived