International Cafe - your favorites

lovevacadays

Where is the IC on Crown and Star

For the lady who said Beignets are from New Orleans ...sorry dear they are from FRENCh North Africa .. ye olde French Colonies ...where I am originally from
.Fried stretched out dough ..not really doughnuts.... usually sprinkled with sugar sometimes with honey ...YUMMY !!!
In Tunisia they are HUGE in other places Algeria Morroco a little smaller
You can get them in Paris
I do not know what they look like in NOLA

I just want to thank everyone for this thread, I have gained 10lbs just reading it...I will be on the Emerald for Thanksgiving with my Hubby and 8yr old daughter so thank you for all the important info, any info that has to do with food is important info to me. Happy Cruising Everyone, Enjoy :)

[quote name='chloedmom']Nerr: what is a sacher torte?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]Sacher Torte originated in Austria. It's a chocolate layer cake with a thin layer of apricot jam under the chocolate frosting. Delicious. [/COLOR][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
To clarify on Wines and Vines. There is a charge for the specialty cheeses. No charge for the tapas or sushi, both of which are only available mid to late afternoon and evening. You do not have to get wine to get the free food. We often brought food over from the International cafe when there were no seats there and had salad and sushi.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]To those who asked, no, there is no IC on the [I]Grand[/I]. There is a "Lobby Bar" in that area instead, which has (who'd have guessed?!) a bar and also facilities for making specialty coffees. There is no food case, however. I do recall pastries being out early in the morning on a couple of occasions but my cruise on her was four years ago and my recollection is a bit fuzzy. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='billet']the chicken salad and croissants have always been free. I have also read that the sushi and tapas are free. They were not free in March but it does seem like they are now from a few of the reports :)
The IC is one of the places to get brewed and speciality coffee.
Definitely a good place to stop EVERY day.

p.s. please do not tell anyone about the IC it is still a secret stop for most.[/quote]

On Star (Oct/Nov 09)...both were free, and served in Vines in the Piazza on Deck 5 (Plaza).

Ciao for now!!!

[quote name='rdsqrl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]To those who asked, no, there is no IC on the [I]Grand[/I]. There is a "Lobby Bar" in that area instead, which has (who'd have guessed?!) a bar and also facilities for making specialty coffees. There is no food case, however. I do recall pastries being out early in the morning on a couple of occasions but my cruise on her was four years ago and my recollection is a bit fuzzy. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

That's correct - the Grand does put out some pastries in the AM and cookies in the PM at the Lobby Bar. It's in a small platter of sorts along the bar.

I was on the Crown for cruises in November 2008 and 2009. I always say the chicken salad is my favorite in the IC, but I think it was a lot better in 2008. It was big chunks of chicken along with the dressing, celery, cashews, etc. This year, it was more like the chicken salad on a sandwich - more shredded. Probably depends on the cook. Still good, but not as good IMO. I loved the shrimp salad, too. I went down in the AM a couple times and got fruit, muesli and yogurt parfaits for breakfast. That made me feel a little better about the bad stuff I was eating at other times. ;) LOL. Cookies are good, too.

Archived