Pacztours question

smiles998

Hello,

We are hoping to go to the Xunantunich Ruins in Belize. Pacztours dot net has a really good rate, but I can't find much information on the boards about this company.

Has anyone used them before or have any imformation about them? :confused:

Thanks for any help. :)

Hello,

We are hoping to go to the Xunantunich Ruins in Belize. Pacztours dot net has a really good rate, but I can't find much information on the boards about this company.

Has anyone used them before or have any information about them? :confused:

Thanks for any help. :)

Yes, we used Pacz Tours when stayed for a few nights in San Ignacio, Belize. We used the company because they are one of only two companies authorized to give tours of the Actun Tunichil Muknal ("ATM") cave. The other company, Mayawalk, is oriented towards larger groups, while Pacz is oriented more towards individual travelers.

We had a very satisfactory experience. There were a total of four people on our tour, ourselves and one other couple. Luch was included, but given the remote site it was quite simple (but not at all unsatisfactory). The tour itself was somewhat physical, and the tour guide was very encouraging and helpful in transporting camera equipment in dry bags and getting us up to various ledges within the cave. He was well-informed, interested, and courteous. This tour was really the highlight of our trip to Belize.

I recommend Pacz Tours. However, I do have two things to consider.

First, whlie we also considering visiting Xunantunich with Pacz, ultimately we elected not to do so and instead stayed that afternoon in San Ignacio. If you've been to other Mayan ruins there may be some reptition here, part of our reasoning for staying in San Ignacio. Onthe other hand, the ATM cave tour is unlike any other tour you may have been on. The cave was used for Mayan rituals, and when it was found a number of years ago all the artifacts were left in the cave. In essence, you're in a museum with pottery, remains, etc., but no glass or other barriers between you ant the exhibits. This is something typically offered only to archeologists, not tourists. If you have the time I would place a visit the ATM caves ahead of Xunantunich.

Second, I hope you're not planning to do this with only one day in port at Belize City . . . unless you have a very long day in port. The distance from Belize City to San Ignacio takes 2.5 hours by bus, somewhat less if eing driven directly. You might not have a lot of time to visit. If at all possible spend a night or two in San Ignacio (we enjoyed our stay at Martha's Guest House).

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much GTJ,

Unfortunatly, we will only be there from 10am to 6pm, and from your post, I do not think will have enough time to see much of Xunantunich.

You have really peaked my interest in experiencing the"ATM" cave though. I am seriously thinking of going back when I can stay for a few days and do somthing as adventures as that. :)

Thank you so much GTJ,

Unfortunatly, we will only be there from 10am to 6pm, and from your post, I do not think will have enough time to see much of Xunantunich.

You have really peaked my interest in experiencing the"ATM" cave though. I am seriously thinking of going back when I can stay for a few days and do somthing as adventures as that. :)

We were in Belize twice last year, both on the way to our wedding as well as on our honeymoon. On our first visit Belize was a port-of-call when we were on the Norwegian Spirit, heading from New York to Cozumel (where would alight and proceed to the wedding site in Oaxaca). We were in Belize for just the day and we visited local sites . . . Altun Ha and a city tour. After the wedding we honeymooned throughout southern Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize. After having visited Tikal in Guatemala we crossed into Belize and stayed two nights in San Ignacio. Thus, we had all day to do the ATM cave. If you have not already done so, take a look at the Wikipedia page on the cave. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actun_Tunichil_Muknal Afterwards we returned to Mexico and boarded the Carnival Fantasy in Cozumel for our trip back to the United States.

Remember, Belize City is a tender port. While you may be scheduled to arrive at 10:00 a.m., you may not get ashore until 11:00 a.m. Heading to Cayo is a great idea . . . you just may not have enough time to do it justice.

Archived