Ideas on touring Astoria

ppwlee

Hi,

Looking for last minute advice on what to do in half day in Astoria. Our pacific coastal cruise will stop by and we will be with our 2 yr old too. What would be the best way to spend 3-4 hrs in Astoria and how to get off from the port (taxi??) We are thinking about cannon beach but not sure if it's practical. Thanks.

You can take the Riverfront Trolley for $1 RT. It will take you to the Maritime Museum. Astoria is a quaint old town. The Astor Column has great views of the Columbia.

Cannon Beach is great, and so is Seaside! Are there ship's tours, beings you're on a limited time frame?

I not only have been trhough and to Astoria many times, I've stopped there on a cruise. We took the Trolley, then walked around, went to Flavel House.

With just a few hours in town, I don't think I'd recommend a trip to Cannon Beach, unless it was with a ship's tour. You'd need to rent a car if you went on your own, and I just don't think you'd have enough time to really make it work. If you do decide to rent a car and head to the beaches, I'd recommend Seaside instead of Cannon ... it's about 20 minutes closer to Astoria than Cannon, and very child-friendly.

The column just got a new staircase in June. The old theater has been restored, we were able to see dance recital rehearsals.

There is a firehouse museum in Astoria. It was closed on the day we were there.

Check out the Maritime Museum. The trolley tracks will lead you right to it.

Hint- The trolley will pick you up anywhere along the line, just wave your fare and it will stop for you. If you get lucky enough to ride the trolley, ride it to the end and back. You will pass the 'Goonies' house. It was fun watching (and participating) in getting the trolley ready for the ride back. Perfectly safe for a 2 yr old.

The trolley line is at the beginning of the pier. There are a limited number of taxi's in town. When we went in June a gal needed to get to the Coast Guard station and it was difficult for her to pre-arrange something.

My son moved to Astoria last year. I still haven't been able to get out there from Alabama to see him. He has recently made an Astoria DVD that is being test marketed by the Old Grey Cab. It is his first try at a project like this. It has just about all of the sites in town, lots of pictures to remember your trip by. (Tell them Eric's mom told you about it.)

We were there for half a day.......it was our coldest and windiest stop on our Alaska cruise! ;) Anyway, I agree with taking the trolly over to the maritime museum....the trolly and museum are fun for all ages. (we actually took the trolly to the end and then back to the Safeway so we could get a cup of Starbucks coffee. Then we walked back to the Maritime, toured the museum, and then walked through the downtown and back to the ship...cute town).

We were there for half a day.......it was our coldest and windiest stop on our Alaska cruise! ;) Anyway, I agree with taking the trolly over to the maritime museum....the trolly and museum are fun for all ages. (we actually took the trolly to the end and then back to the Safeway so we could get a cup of Starbucks coffee. Then we walked back to the Maritime, toured the museum, and then walked through the downtown and back to the ship...cute town).

I was there Tuesday 9/22 while the NCL Star was there, and Astoria had a record high temp of 92 degrees that day. The day before it had been 86 degrees. Sometimes fall is the best time of the year for the Oregon coast.

I was there Tuesday 9/22 while the NCL Star was there, and Astoria had a record high temp of 92 degrees that day. The day before it had been 86 degrees. Sometimes fall is the best time of the year for the Oregon coast.

We were there in early May.......got off the ship, walked about 50 feet and turned around to get a jacket, hat and gloves! Towards the end of our cruise, we had record high temps (in the 90's) in Vancouver and Victoria! Just have to be prepared for any type of weather on the Alaska cruises.;)

Archived