Cozumel - decent shore or pickup dive?

w&k

Folks- need some help here. We're doing a trip in a couple months that includes Cozumel, and we would like to dive if possible.

We don't want to get involved with deposits, reservations, etc. as DH has been having some eye problems, so we're trying to keep things spur-of-the-moment. To add to the fun, we have an odd port time of 10am to 7pm.

I looked at the Chankanaab website for their shore dive, but it doesn't have a whole lot of information. Also, I vaguely remember that someone used to have a hut on the cruise ship piers waiting for divers, but it's a long time since we have done a west side trip.

It's just the 2 of us, and I guess we could gut it up and do the ship's dive if we just HAD to get wet (moo).

If anyone could help with 'just show up' alternatives to the ship's cattleboat, I would appreciate it.

Wendy

One possible shore dive is at Scuba Club. It's a short walk from the dive shop to the entry steps. Not a great dive, but one can get wet here without a schedule or problems.

Very clear water. It's a short taxi ride from the cruiseship docks. Google them and let them know you're coming, etc. Chankanab is another, we have done several dives at both and other locations up and down the coast--all about the same--sandy, a little coral, and sometimes a lot of macro life.

Folks- need some help here. We're doing a trip in a couple months that includes Cozumel, and we would like to dive if possible.

We don't want to get involved with deposits, reservations, etc. as DH has been having some eye problems, so we're trying to keep things spur-of-the-moment. To add to the fun, we have an odd port time of 10am to 7pm.

I looked at the Chankanaab website for their shore dive, but it doesn't have a whole lot of information. Also, I vaguely remember that someone used to have a hut on the cruise ship piers waiting for divers, but it's a long time since we have done a west side trip.

It's just the 2 of us, and I guess we could gut it up and do the ship's dive if we just HAD to get wet (moo).

If anyone could help with 'just show up' alternatives to the ship's cattleboat, I would appreciate it.

Wendy

I have never been to Coz when there wasn't 3 or 4 dive ops looking for divers at the pier. With the time y'all are going to be there, it should not be a problem finding a dive op with a cold call. Just do a little research about times and locations of a few dive ops you might like to use. We have used Papa Hogs before like that.They use small boats, us, a DM and the Capt. was all that was on the boat. Although we have dove close to shore, we have never done a "shore dive" there.

We've done shore dives from Blue Angel--I think they'll give you a tank for $10-$12. They are located about half way between the two cruise terminal areas. You won't see the best of Coz reefs from there but there's usually a lot of sea life around and it couldn't be easier. Another idea--go to Blue Angel prepared to dive from shore and you may be able to hook up a boat dive while you're there. They have a couple of boats and if they're not fully booked I'm sure you'd be able to jump on. We did our open water certification with Blue Angel and found them really easy to work with.

--Ellen

We do our shore dives off of Del Mar Aquatics, across from Casa Del Mar. Its where many of the snorkel boats come in so there are quite a few fish, many hand fed from the snorkel & glass bottom boats.

I think a tank rental was $7.

We do our shore dives off of Del Mar Aquatics, across from Casa Del Mar. Its where many of the snorkel boats come in so there are quite a few fish, many hand fed from the snorkel & glass bottom boats. I think a tank rental was $7.

We also like the area out in front of Casa del Mar for shore diving. It is really getting a lot better (not like pre Wilma but coming right along) with more fish and small corals forming again. You can also rent a tank from Aqua World ($7.00) which is also right across the street from Casa del Mar or just south of Del Mar Aquatics. When you enter the water head south/southeast to get to the plane. There is still pretty good large coral formations just east of the airplane wreck. The plane isn't holding the aquatic life it had before the storm but it is still worth burning a tank to see. Night diving is also getting a lot better here again.

We will be in Cozumel in mid November for a week and will dive daily with Dive with Martin but we also will do plenty of shore dives and I will post pictures of each area in our webshots page.

Another place to shore dive is at the Blue Angel dive shop. It is next to the Caribe Blue hotel.

We have not tried this shore dive but I will in November along with the airplane and Dzul Ha.

Is or pre Wilma was the night diving decent around Blue angel?

Is or pre Wilma was the night diving decent around Blue angel?

I've only done the shore dive there once, in December 2005 right after wilma. The site was pretty scoured at that time. I've read it has made some recovery, but it probably isn't quite as good as it once was. It should be a decent night dive since that's when quite a bit of the smaller stuff comes out of hiding.

Archived