Celebrity Summit & San Juan Question

OK now you all have me really freaking out- i cruised last year out of San Juan on RCCL and our flight got in from BaLtimore to San Juan around 2:00 and i had no problem getting to the airport in plenty of time for our 5:30 flight.

Now i am booked again to do a f amily cruise in January on Celebrity which leaves at 8:30 but our flight gets into San Juan at 4:00p.m. I thought that was fine but now i am really nervous and our tickets (6 of them) are not changeable.

Don't freak out - its too late for that. But go and buy trip ins. I would check back with the airlines. Sometimes they have a schedule change. If that is the case see if you can be put on a flight earlier or the day before. (when flying to San Juan always and I mean always fly at least a day before) Two years ago I flew out of Dullas instead of bwi because the rates were better. What luck the flights from BWI were all cancelled that day because of sleet and our flight was a go. The people on our cruise arrived a day later. We met at the get together. WE all will keep our fingers crossed for you.

Good luck

Helen

Robinhill, don't freak out yet. You MUST be at the pier 90 minutes early so that's 7:00 p.m. If everythings goes okay and there are no trip delays, then you have 3 hours to get to the port which should be plenty of time. I wouldn't chance it however if it were me, knowing that you aren't there by 7:00 p.m. you are considered a no-show. we live in Houston and have been delayed many, many times waiting on planes to come from other locations to get here to take us on our destination.

I don't know what airline you are flying on, but we usually fly Continental and get the advance purchase tickets which say "no change". However, you can always change them for a fee. When you try to change far ahead of time, the fee is pretty steep, say $150 per ticket, but if you call 24 hours ahead of when your original flight is scheduled, say you are leaving at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, then call 10:00 a.m. Friday and change to a flight for Friday and the fee is then only $50 per ticket. You are still taking a chance that the flight might be full or you might not get the flight you want, but at least it's an option.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Peter

Where have you been all my life, lol

YOu have answered so many questions

So you recommend El San Juan for dancing on Saturday and Sunday night in the lobby??

Also would recommend Waterculb Hotel for eating dinner and bar - how far is this from the Intercontinental or Lupi's

Any other tips would be great - you are so so informative

thanks Carol

Peter

Where have you been all my life, lol

YOu have answered so many questions

So you recommend El San Juan for dancing on Saturday and Sunday night in the lobby??

Also would recommend Waterculb Hotel for eating dinner and bar - how far is this from the Intercontinental or Lupi's

Any other tips would be great - you are so so informative

thanks Carol

Carol

I'll answer to Peter - but my name is Roger :)

ESJ on Saturday evening will be awesome. Sunday will be slower, but not dead. October isn't exactly the high season and most everyone has to work on Monday. Any of the ESJ bars are great, not to mention the place is absolutely beautiful. Waterclub for cocktails at the roof bar.

Eat lunch at Mi Casita across the street - I highly recommend Barrachina for dinner.

Waterclub is a 2 block walk. Lupi's is a 2 block walk. Mi Casita is across the street. ESJ is 1 block from the Intercontinental.

There's also a street level open air restaurant/bar that I can't remember the name of to save my life. I drift in there from time to time. It's right next to the Waterclub on Calle Tartak. If you walk out if the Intercontinental, turn right on Isla Verde avenue, then turn right at the first street (less than a block) . walk towards the ocean 1 block (if you go any further you'll get wet), then left on Tartak. Waterclub and this place is on the left less than 1 block.

Get out and explore - Isla Verde is very safe.

feel free to email me - Roger.Hackler at Comcast dot net. I'll give you my number and will be happy to speak with you.

Roger

OK now you all have me really freaking out- ...

As noted earlier, really no reason to freak. A 4 pm arrival is way better than 6pm. One bit of advise. Let's say you have a bit of a delay and land in San Juan at 6:30. The moment your plane is off the runway you would whip out your cellphone and call Celebrity (there will be a contact number printed on your Xpress Pass documents) to let them know you are on the ground and heading for the ship. Since you booked your own air the will not hold the ship for you, but they will keep the reservation open and at least one gangway down until moments before sailing.

Relax and enjoy the adventure of your trip.

... Let's say you have a bit of a delay and land in San Juan at 6:30. The moment your plane is off the runway you would whip out your cellphone and call Celebrity (there will be a contact number printed on your Xpress Pass documents) to let them know you are on the ground and heading for the ship. Since you booked your own air the will not hold the ship for you, but they will keep the reservation open and at least one gangway down until moments before sailing...

While this sounds like great advice, I'm not sure if it is true or not. I read on their web site a while back that there are some recent TSA legal requirements for them to submit a final guest manifest to the government 60 minutes prior to sailing and as a result they are requiring everyone to be checked in and on board 90 minutes before sailing. Still - I'd imagine that if flights are generally delayed there is a greater chance of them waiting for arrivals - so it would be a good idea to do as you suggest.

Archived