Back from 1st Disney cruise

wwinfl91

HI everyone,

We returned this Saturday from our first Disney cruise on the Magic. It was our 20th cruise overall. We had wanted to go on Disney for sometime but the higher prices tended to discourage us from trying it in spite of the fact we live in the Orlando area and Disney was only an hour away. We ended up getting a Florida resident deal for an outside cabin for about $100 a day per person and decided to give Disney a try.

Just a little background on us. We are in are early 60's with no children or grandkids. As mentioned above this would be our 20th cruise with the most on HAL followed by Princess and RCL. We are non-smokers and enjoy wine or a drink occasionally.

We drove over to Cape Canaveral getting to the port around 11:30 AM. Dropping off the luggage and getting checked in was a breeze. By a little before 1 PM we were walking up the ramp to board the ship with our carry-on luggage which included 2 18 packs of diet Pepsi which my wife prefers.

We had not been able to pre-reserve Palo's so we headed to the place where we could do that. We had also requested late dining but had been assigned early so we could accomplish two tasks by visiting one location.

Both tasks were done with no problems and by then it was close enough to being able to get to our cabin which was on deck 2 so we could drop off our carry-on luggage and then go get some lunch.

The cabin was a cat 9 and was large with a big port hole, more like a small picture window. The bed was correctly arranged as a queen. We dropped off our luggage and went to Parrot Cay to have our first meal on the ship. The food was plentiful and good and service was good. By the time we returned to our cabin one of our checked bags had arrived outside the door and before we had to leave for the lifeboat drill the other had come.

So that this doesn't become a full review which I hope to do. Let me say the food was good to very good. The service was excellent. The ship is in excellent shape and the crew is constantly working at keeping it that way.

We were surprised at how every member of the crew really seemed to be concerned that we were having a good time and asked us constantly how they could make it happen.

I will be putting together a full review of the cruise for CC but for now let me say we really enjoyed our first Disney cruise and given a reasonable price we would go on additional ones.

Have a great next cruise.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, "neighbor". :)

We've been on two seven-nighters and one three-nighter, and have our fourth coming up next month. We keep coming back, despite the cost, because we just love the kind of pampering the crew lavish on us. :D

Looking forward to your full report!

I'm glad you enjoyed your first Disney Cruise!!! I'm hoping to be able to afford to bring my 6 year old on her very first Disney cruise. I know she's going to absolutely love it... but its out of our budget at the moment... but we're saving up and maybe next year we can do it!

I've been on 3 so far, years ago... the last one being during 9/11, we were on our honeymoon... made for quite a memorable cruise!! And I gotta say that the DCL handled it all BEAUTIFULLY!! They made arrangements for the passengers that we not able to fly home to stay at one of the Disney resorts until they could make arrangements to get home, assisted them in getting rental cars and assisted them in contacting family members who were concerned about them. Really did an amazing job.

I look forward to reading your review!! (I'm going there next!)

After rereading my review I realized I had forgotten to mention that if you have hard shell full sized luggage it will NOT fit under the bed in your cabin. This was the first cruise ship we have ever been on that our Samsonite luggage wouldn't slide under the bed. We stored one of themon the floor in one of the closets and left the other against the wall where it was mostly out of the way. I don't know how four people each with a large suitcase would fit in the cabin but luckily there were just two of us and two suitcases.

I also just posted a review of our visit to Castaway Cay on the "private island" board if anyone is interested.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived