Casual Dress on SENSATION

Snow Wight

What do most of the men wear in the dining room for dinner (not formal night)?

I'm fighting with DH because he is insisting on wearing jeans. I'm trying to get him to wear khakis, but I'm losing the battle. He claims that he will be on vacation and he wants to relax and be comfortable.

Been on the Sensation twice and both times were about the same.... most men seem to follow the dress code. They wear khaki's, slacks, etc. Don't see very many in jeans... or at least the two times I have gone, I haven't. Many do wear jackets on non-formal nights.

What is more comfortable about jeans anyway? :p Especially in the Caribbean... if I were a man, I would think a comfy pair of dockers or khakis would be more comfortable... then again, I'm not a man... never understood why people thought jeans were more comfy!!!!

Show him the recommended dress for each type of night on the Carnival website. My husband has in the past worn Dockers on casual nights. He "outgrew" them between cruises and replaced them with slacks. As far as shirts, he likes golf/polo type shirts. Shoes, he went from tennis shoes to deck shoes on casual nights.

As far as jeans, no way would he go to the dining room in those.

Don't pack jeans! Jeans are heavy and take up way to much room. My DH and I wear a pair to fly in. That is the only pair that goes. Pack the docker, he will thank you for it. If he has to wear jeans the lido is open for business.

Thanks for all of the replies...I don't know what I'm going to do with him.

I showed him what Carnival has in the brochure and on their website about the dress code. His reply is that it doesn't say "no jeans in the dining room, it only says no shorts, t-shirts or bathing suits."

Since he is being stubborn, I hope that he is the only one wearing jeans and feels out of place, so I can say..."I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!"

Gina, worst comes to worst.. you can always use the "gold card" (and I ain't talking credit card... ladies, you KNOW what I'm talking about, LOL)... You can just ask him to do this "for you"... that you would appreciate it and want to enjoy the vacation and would like him to dress like most of the others. Tell him you know all the ladies will be snickering at you and it will ruin the vacation for you (hey, sometimes you have to pull out all the stops)... last resort... the gold card. It is going to be a vacation, and if mamma ain't happy.... well, daddy sleeps on the couch :D LOL...

Comeback: It doesn't say no jeans, but neither are they included in what is acceptable. ;)

And you could show him this thread.

The gold card also works very well. On second thought, don't show him this thread or he'll find out about that gold card!:D

Definitely DON'T show him this thread... can't give away the secrets, LOL...

Okay, so tell him you intend to go to dinner wearing a peekaboo bra and thong... I mean, it doesn't SAY they aren't allowed... then he will say "well, common sense tells you they wouldn't be allowed" and then you say "EXACTLY"... show him pictures of the dining room. Explain to him you will be served a 5 course meal by people wearing tuxes, on white linen with full place settings. Explain to him this ain't no Golden Corral honey :D LOL... Or, you could always tell him that he can enjoy the Lido Buffet while you dine on a nice gourmet meal... oh girl, have some fun with this one! LOL!!!!

LOL Fldad, it's a good note to make ;) It's a shame when we, as women, have to use that card... but it IS highly effective. It should of course, only be used as a last resort... Too many rejections with the card, and eventually it gets deactivated :eek:

Last time I checked, both our names were on that "gold card":D

Seriously though, I'm a shorts and t-shirt person. I wear shorts in the winter as long as an arctic wind hasn't kicked up. If it gets too cold for that, I'm a jeans and t-shirt person. Out of respect for the guidelines and for the cruising experience of others, as well as my DW, I will not wear jeans or t-shirts in the dining room. I will also wear a nice suit on formal nights. I don't think it's too much to ask since I get to wear what I want 99.999% of the other times.

You are probably going to be disappointed in this reply. We are also cruising on the Sensation on Jan 6 and my husband will be wearing his nice jeans and a dress shirt with a nice dinner jacket on the regular night dinners. However, on formal night he will wear a suit. The rule is no shorts and swimming suits allowed in the dining room! So your bf will not be the only one in jeans. Furthermore, it's wrong for other people to put anyone down because they don't wear suits all the time. Get a life people! :D People can look just as nice in jeans and a jacket as in a suit. What is more disgusting to me is that there is a topless deck on the Sensation:eek: .

However, I am very thankful that swimming suits are not allowed in the dining rooms.

Happy cruising!

First of all, who put anyone down? :rolleyes: Get a life? :rolleyes:

Many people don't feel jeans are appropriate in a formal dining room... and have every right to feel this way. I have been on the Sensation twice... and I have SEEN what people wear in the dining room... Which is what the OP was actually asking :rolleyes:

And what exactly are "nice" jeans? LOL... Jeans are jeans... Sure, I wear them as well, where appropriate... but never knew there were different classifications... denim is denim. And in my opinion, once you see the dining room, realize it is more than a Red Lobster, and read the suggested attire, jeans in the dining room aren't appropriate.

There is a topless deck on all Carnival ships... difference being, you can choose not to go there... disgusting? Only if you make it that way... If you choose not to sunbathe topless, don't go up there. I won't stoop to the comment of "get a life", but we are talking a topless deck, and topless sunbathing is a common practice across the world... Far from disgusting.

You live your life the way you see it, and let other people live their life the way they see it as best to live. My reply was telling snowwhite that her bf will not be the only one on the ship in jeans, and it is not unappropriate to wear a good pair of jeans to regular dinners. She deserves an honest opinion from everyone.

If all people liked the same things, this would be a boring planet. :cool:

I figure there will be more people then we think in jeans. A friend just got back from their cruise, and she said that what surprised her was that people were wearing bathing suits in the dining rooms. I didn't think that swimming suits were allowed in there. Not that it really matters, I guess the ship is big enough that I can eat elsewhere instead of seating by someone in a bathingsuit.

Of course I don't want to offend anyone, like I said I just didn't think bathingsuits were allowed at dinners.

Happy cruising!!!

...I don't know what I'm going to do with him.

I showed him what Carnival has in the brochure and on their website about the dress code. His reply is that it doesn't say "no jeans in the dining room, it only says no shorts, t-shirts or bathing suits."

Since he is being stubborn, I hope that he is the only one wearing jeans and feels out of place, so I can say..."I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!"

And how old is your son, mommy, and why doesn't he listen to you?

You won't see any bathing suits in the dining rooms on Carnival :rolleyes: Like I said, it's not Golden Corral. The atmosphere in the dining room is such that I can't even imagine anyone attempting it, but if they did, they would not be allowed in. Your friend may have gone on one of the more casual lines... and they may not have a formal dining room, or one that has a dress code.

In your original post, you informed those that did not agree with you to "get a life". There was no cause for that. Obviously the OP does not want her BF to wear jeans in the dining room... she was asking for opinions, in which many gave theirs without resorting to telling others to "get a life". There are more tactful ways to give your opinion. What you WILL see is that MOST people will respect the suggested attire and other PAX and you won't see many jeans.. sure, you will see a few, but the majority will not be in jeans. The atmosphere in the formal dining room is such that jeans don't quite fit in. And as Carnival states, for those wishing to dress CASUAL, there are other dining options, such as the Lido buffet.

Gina..This is what I do and it works great!

Wait till day 3 (3 days after the whoopie) and then ask. You ALWAYS get your way. If you try this on day 2...I can't promise success and if you dare hold out and wait till day 4.. He will be too mad to be co- operative!

Day 3 is magic!!!

Gina..This is what I do and it works great!

Wait till day 3 (3 days after the whoopie) and then ask. You ALWAYS get your way. If you try this on day 2...I can't promise success and if you dare hold out and wait till day 4.. He will be too mad to be co- operative!

Day 3 is magic!!!

ROFLMAO!!!! And SOOOOO right!!!!! Too funny!

When we got our Welcome aboard package, it stated that t-shirts or shorts are not allowed as dinner attire. It said nothing about jeans not being allowed, nor did it say that bathing suits are not allowed. I agree that people can dress up in "nice" jeans, dress shirt, a tie, and a dinner jacket and still look very nice. You probably shouldn't wear your bathing suit though.

Some women wear slacks, and yes some men wear nice jeans and a jacket to supper on Carnival ships. I do agree that they need to be a good pair of jeans, such as with no holes and not be faded and ragged. Does he have some that would go really well with his dress shirt, tie, and jacket?

I think the point about the topless deck was meant to say that people have different ideas. Some people like it and some don't; topless sunbathing is not the norm in all societies. Just like, some people like getting really dressed up, and some people like it more casual but yet nicely dressed. This is something you and you man will have to decided on, because as you can see everyone has just to many different ideas and thoughts on it. You might also want to glance at your welcome aboard booklet if you haven't already. Do you know anyone else going on your particular cruise to see what their doing? Good luck.

I guess it might take up too much paper to actually point out what they don't recommend in the dining room, so they just put their suggested attire instead, which is:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Like I said, they don't mention that bra and panties are prohibited, nor buttless chaps... so I guess that is fair game too? :p

...Carnival should just make the dining room "clothing optional". They would save a ton of money because I suspect most that did show up would lose their appeitite rather quickly....OK...I am being bad...sorry....:eek:

fldad23girlz <-- making a note about Izzy Bee's methods and underlining it in red

And to think that for years I have been missing all this good info on the way you ladies manipulate us guys...I have learned a lot of stuff about a lot of subjects other than cruising! :D

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

GC, this was the first thing I thought of too but you beat me to it! :D The required dress is clearly listed. THEN it states the option for people who don't want to follow the requirements. Easy as pie.

And how old is your son, mommy, and why doesn't he listen to you?

Unfortunately, most of the time I do have to act like DH's "mommy" because he acts like a kid. If he would just wear what Carnival is suggesting that he wear in the dinning room then this wouldn't be an issue.

Archived