Tips for Barbados

starbounca

Hi just leaving a few tips for all you visiting Barbados...I have seen too many tourist come here and get the round around ...... i'll put as much as i can now ..i'm leaving on carnival victory today

1. Walk to town. it is not that far if you take a taxi you would prob be charged 6 US and for what a 2min drive the view is lovely on the way to town

2. for cheap souviners go in small stores

3. Broad street which is mainly duty free can be very expensive try swan street where things are a lot cheaper even cheaper that duty free prices

4. Liqour in the sea port will be the same price or almost the same price onboard i think the night before docking here

5. take tours privately you will save hundreds of dollars....the thriller ride is great also the malibu tour

6. If you just want a piece of Bajan life just go to a bus terminal and get on a bus.... The fare is $1.50 bbds which is about 75c US but you have to pay with dollar bills...If you get on a bus the bus would go to its destination turn around and come right back to town the bus drivers and local folk are very friendly.......on this you see the houses and everything...it is like a island tour without the tour guide but if you find an older woman on the bus they like to talk they would give you the run down...Barbados is small and anywhere is less than 2hrs so you ahve plenty of time......once you get in a bus or van either the small white ones or the big yellow ones the fare is $1.50 bds anywhere in that route if you choose not to get off the bus and return to town you may be charged another $1.50 depends on the driver

7. be specific of taxi prices and work out a price before you get in the ppl car ..... you would't wnat that when you get there prices change.....if they say $50 then that is to get you to your destination not and back.....my suggestion if you are just going to a beach or something get a bus or a van the fee is $1.50 Us to anywhere in that route.... to make it back on the ship more reliable take a taxi.....but if you are within the 2-3hr time frame take the van or bus back to town.......eg if going to rockly beach walk to town ask for directions to the river van stand get in a number 11 small white van and tell the conductor you want to go rockley...along the way he will put his hand at you you give him money and he would give you back change(NB on the big blue bus.....which is government owned has a fare box so you wont get back change) he will put you by a bus stop when leaving there is a taxi stand by rockley beach or you can stay by the bus stop on the left hand side of the road and wait for anything with teh sign bridgetown big blue buses will take you to the bus terminal white van would take you to the van stand .....walk back to the port...

when i decided to write this didn't expect to stay this long and i have to go get ready....

what else?

8. Bajans especially taxi drivers like to fake the american accent :confused: which i thing i sstupid cause ppl come her to experince local culture which include our language........ and it is not very good if you come across an unfake person you will experience real bajan it is just broken english...( a way of rebillion against the slave master who wanted them to speak proper english)

If there are any questions you can post them here but you won't get a reply until after wednesday unless i find a cheap internet cafe in one of the ports...for you who are boarding on sunday 27th i'll be the one in the line with about 50 bags and huge boxes..cause bajans love to shop.. on the cruise i will be the one walking around with the cutest baby:Dlol

Also please note camoflage is not allowed here:mad: not even a scarf so don't bring it off the boat it may be taken away or you may be charged......Ignorance will not be an excuse....

I'm going to get ready check in is from 11 and i want to be there early to get the most of my cruise but luckly for me i can come back off the ship and if i forget anything i can simply go back home and get it......until next wednesday

Happy sailing everyone!!!!!

can aslo be emailed at starbounca@hotmail.com

From what I understand.... the no "Camo" thing is because of military and para military. They don't want anyone to be impersonating their military or police. So if you have Camo on you better have credentials or you will get in trouble. At least that is the explanation I got last January when I was there on Celebrity.:cool:

Love Barbados. For me, Crane Beach (the northern section) is heaven on earth. Can't explain it, it's just a feeling.

And yes, Barbados is very strict about the camo attire. On our last cruise there a gal was trying to get off the ship wearing a camo t-shirt and was very upset that she could not disembark. The notification about not wearing camo was on the front of the Capers for that day. I guess some people don't read.

Love Barbados. For me, Crane Beach (the northern section) is heaven on earth. Can't explain it, it's just a feeling.

And yes, Barbados is very strict about the camo attire. On our last cruise there a gal was trying to get off the ship wearing a camo t-shirt and was very upset that she could not disembark. The notification about not wearing camo was on the front of the Capers for that day. I guess some people don't read.

You would really have to not pay attention to miss the 'No Camo" rules. They announced it quite a few times and it was on the front of the capers as you said. They made it very clear on my Victory cruise last March.

We loved Rockly/Accra beach and the new boardwalk.

Hey habby...long time no see(post):). When will you be visiting us again?

Sorry for the hijack.:D

FYI for other posters...The Boatyard has now been renamed Taboo.

Only the military are allowed to wear camouflage in Barbados. It has something to with an incident in the 1970s. A suspected coup attempt involving gun-runners led by Sidney Burnett Alleyne, who were all sporting mercenary camouflage gear. The government of the time banned camouflage except for the legitimate military, primarily to stop anti-government movements from adopting it as an unofficial uniform or symbol.

Dave

Archived