So how much do they spend on spirits? - I'm going to tell you

Capt. John

i've never thought about how "much $$" I'm "saving" - i choose seabourne b/c of the wonderful service and intimacy; i dont drink that much and thankfully either do the other passengers I've met (on the more exotic, and longer cruises) -granted, caribbean and transatlantic cruises and others that are deeply discounted attract a different cruiser (someonelooking at price) - that said, i take the full (unopened) bottles and give them to the stewards.

granted, caribbean and transatlantic cruises and others that are deeply discounted attract a different cruiser (someonelooking at price) -

Can you clairfy that? Are the transatlantic cruises less enjoyable due to the mix of passengers on board? :confused: Are you suggesting that the crew and or Seabourn might not make much on on these cruises due to the fact that the cruisers might we watching the wallet?

Last year we did both the transatlantic and a 14 day Black Sea cruise with Seabourn (no "e" on the end) and the mix of passengers was indistinguishable, they were all normal people, some are wealthy, some not so wealthy and some who pretend to be wealthy. We chose the transatlantic cruise because we wanted a relaxing holiday and the Black Sea cruise because we wanted to see specific ports, they were both fantastic cruises with great fellow guests and the same fantastic service and food.

Daneite

Thanks for the reply Daneite, I'm really not worried, I'm just confused by Hobar's statement.

I'm looking forward to simply relaxing on this long cruise and enjoying the Seabourn cuisine that everyone talks about. I'm sure on this intimate ship I will meet a wide variety of people unlike the huge liners.

matt,

i've been on 14+ day cruises, and on consecutive 1 week cruises - i found service somewhat better on the former; but more important, the passengers were also more travelled on the former, although they do tend to be older, probably due to the more abundant leisure time; and i found on the shorter cruises some passengers were tuned into their offices. i much prefer the longer cruises. but i absolutely love seabourne (with or w/o an "e" at the end), and mjuch prefer it to silver sea (with or w/o an "s" at the end)

matt,

let's be honest, a couple spending $15k for 2 weeks is in a different class than those paying the discounted fares for caribbean and transatlantic - fares in other regions are more than twice the price of caribbean and transatlantic, and attract a different class of people.l enough said.;

matt,

let's be honest, a couple spending $15k for 2 weeks is in a different class than those paying the discounted fares for caribbean and transatlantic - fares in other regions are more than twice the price of caribbean and transatlantic, and attract a different class of people.l enough said.;

Hobar,

I beg to differ. Some people prefer to take a few of the shorter cruises during the year rather than one 14 plus day cruise. It has nothing to do with class or a lack of it.

Those that keep bringing up the class issue tend to fall in the later category.

But maybe not all.

Just my opinion.

mcboo:D

P.S.

Matt you will have a wonderful time whatever class some decide to assign to you.:D:D:D

that said, i take the full (unopened) bottles and give them to the stewards.

If you mean give them as tips then please don't. All the bottles have little labels on them and if a crew member is caught with one then they are sacked and on the next plane home, even if the guest gave it to them. They do random cabin inspections to look out for this sort of thing. Any bottles given as tips are to be put back into ship's stock.

Much better to give tips to individual stewardesses and waiters who rely on these to bost their income or else you can give some to crew welfare which everyone is supposed to benefit from. The crew welfare money goes to subsidise crew excursions, video/TV/DVD in the crew cabins, movies for the crew channel etc.

Phil

Matt~~~let me reassure you that the Crossing's are truly very special. Guests are usually seasoned Seabourn sailor's.......most are close friends who schedule their "cruise year" around the Crossing's........March and September. The Crossing's are a distinctive style of sailing......elegance rules, but the ambiance is like no other sailing.......it is warm, most inviting and comfortable. The service is Seabourn's highest level of personal service, as the guests know most of the Staff and Crew......where their homes are, their families, children (some of us even take gifts to their children) and their birthday's!

We take great delight in our Crossing parties.......our March Pride Crossing Gala is actually known thru' out the cruising world! (this booking sells out months in advance) During the 12 day's at sea we will have our formal evenings, but also will have at least 5 or 6 additional private parties......we laugh and say, "somebody can drop their hat and a party will break out!" (fun and phooey) Both the Legend and the Pride Transatlantic Crossing's are extremely popular now.......I can remember 5 years ago we only had 97 guests........now one needs to book on board for the next year's Crossing.......to assure a suite!

You will enjoy every second on board the Legend Crossing........and I'll wager you a "bag of potato chips" that you WILL book on board for next year's

"creme de la' creme" Crossing.........it's as good at it gets!

We have a saying......."Amigos Para Siempre!"

Martita

mcboo

You put that very well! I was searching for a way to say it without being rude but really struggled.

Hobar

We will have to agree to disagree, we have done the longer cruises, the back to backs and the 7 day cruises and you can get all manner of people on each and everyone of them. Just because someone has the money to pay for them does not automatically mean they are of a certain "class". Money does not give you class, you cannot buy it.

All the people we have met during our 168 days on Seabourn in the last 5 years have been successful in one way or another as even the discounted fares are not cheap cruises. The only difference between the passengers is the number of zeros at the end of their bank balance.

BTW if you look at your Seabourn brochure, tickets etc you will find it is spelt without an "e" and Silversea is all one word.

Daneite

Matt - As usual, Miss Martita is exactly right! I worried about "stuffy or snobby" people before my Legend holiday cruise and found only friendly, fun-loving folks onboard! Believe me when I tell you I've seen the most "snobby" people on mass-market lines...................

Claudia

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was a little taken aback at first. While I'm sure I will never be able to afford to spend $15000 on a cruise, that has not stopped me from seeing wonderful places all over the world, meeting fascinating people and simply having a full and rich life.

I'm always been taught that money does not buy class.

Martha - you may not know this but we share something in common. I became addicted to cruising with my mother as well. This will be our 6th cruise and she is beyond excited. Whenever I speak with her on the phone, I always relay the things you post here. I would not be surprised if we can give you that bag of potato chip personally on the Pride in 2006! :)

McBoo, Daneite and venicecruiser - thanks for the comments, I hope someday our paths will cross! :)

anthony~~~Yes, it "started with a drink!"..........

My Mother's favorite toast at dinner........."girls, don't forget to renew your PASSPORT, you sure don't want to stay home!!!!" At 94 years of age, she was still clinking her champagne glass, with her desert spoon to alert all at the dining table that it was her turn to make a toast!

Matt~~~I give this toast to your Mother now~~~~long may the two of you enjoy cruisin' together! Salute!

Martita

Matt--Have a marvelous cruise with your mother; I was introduced to cruising by my parents when I was 18 and haven't stopped since. After our first Seabourn (Pride, and still our favorite) cruise, my husband and I have strayed only once--to sail with longtime Seabourn friends on Silversea last summer. We are "returning" to Pride in February.

May your first Seabourn cruise be the first of many. In case you have not been told, after 140 days sailing with Seabourn your next cruise is free! What an reward for loyalty.

I, too, hope to see you at the Sky Bar one day.

PS One is born with or without class; it cannot be bought, no matter your monetary status.

We are sailing the Rio-Manaus portion with long-time friends whom we met on a Pride Valparaiso - Cape Horn and back to Valparaiso cruise several years ago.

You will love it.

Boybumba is amazing, make sure you go visit the hotel on stilts above the forest canopy and try to take the helicopter ride from there.

I didn't like Manaus much - very tacky with lots of people after your money. Opera house is nice though.

You may want to take some old clothes with you to throw to the Amazonian indians who will gather out the back of the ship when you moor up. Also, take some small change to give to the kids but whatever you do DON'T hold the sloths as they are riddled with fleas. Have your photo taken with the kids and give them a buck or two but let them hold the sloths. Also, if you have a balcony keep your door closed at all times. There are some VERY big bugs and you don't want them crawling into bed with you. You can pick up some great souvenirs there as well, especially gemstones.

Rio is amazing. Make sure you take a helicopter ride while you are there. It really is the only way to appreciate the beauty of the city.

I know you make a stop at another resort city just after Rio although the name escapes me. If you go visit the beach you will be offered coconuts with a straw to drink from. If you get one (and the ARE delicious) then make sure the guy cuts the top off in front of you. Don;t take one that has already been opened because there have been a lot of cases of people drinking them, falling asleep because they have been drugged and waking up several hours later with wallets and stuff missing.

Also, if you are going do me a favour. Go to your local supermarket and buy a box of Orville Redenbacher's Cinnabons flavour microwave popcorn and take it with you. Give it to Carol Frey the tour manager and watch her face light up. After that you will certainly get *special* treatment when it comes to your tours ;-)

Enjoy the trip, I really wish I was there with you but I'll be out on the P&O Oceana in a couple of weeks time.

Phil

Archived