Travel Ironing Board

KevinsCruising

Hi Cruisers,

Does anyone pack some sort of travel ironing board? Or do you pack anything that you can use as an ironing board? Small enough to fit in suitcase?? :confused:

Thanks,

I don't understand if you are talking about JUST an ironing board, or an ironing board AND an iron. If you are including an iron, FORGET ABOUT IT; they are definitely NOT ALLOWED in the cabin. If you desperately must iron your stuff, you can usually find an iron and an

ironing board in the laundry rooms located around the ship. Or you can send your things to be pressed to the ship's laundry, at a fee of course. ;)

Hmmm, I have taken an iron on every cruise I have been on without an issue. I usually just put a towel on the bed and iron it on that but never had a problem using an iron in my room.

Irons are not allowed on cruise ships. You've been lucky that the cabin steward didn't see it. In most ships they have self laundromat rooms and they have ironing boards and irons.

Irons are not allowed on cruise ships. You've been lucky that the cabin steward didn't see it. In most ships they have self laundromat rooms and they have ironing boards and irons.

NCL ships no longer have the laundry rooms. I think you can request an iron from the front desk but I am not completely sure.

NCL ships no longer have the laundry rooms. I think you can request an iron from the front desk but I am not completely sure.

I think your right. We sailed the Gem this past March and I believe my sister in law requested an iron and they brought her one. It not like we are sneaking RUM in the iron LOL :D

Sounds kind of dangerouse to use the bed as an ironing board. What if you forgot about it and caught the matress on fire. It does happen because my sister caught a bed on fire with a bed lamp that she forgot to turn off. I do not think it is worth the lives of thousands just to iron your clothes.

Last thing I would do on a cruise is iron. Not something I do at home either.

When we first get our stateroom, the first thing I do is take everything that needs to be pressed and give it to the stateroom attendant. It comes back the following day, all nice and pressed! The charge is minimal, and worth it to not have to stand there an iron on my vacation!! :D

Hi Kevin,

As was mentioned earlier, you can request an iron and ironing board from your room steward. Don't bother packing anything. Irons have been known to put you in the naughty room along with those who are packing alcohol.

See you on board!

Diane

Hi Kevin,

As was mentioned earlier, you can request an iron and ironing board from your room steward. Don't bother packing anything. Irons have been known to put you in the naughty room along with those who are packing alcohol.

See you on board!

Diane

After a Las Vegas hotel fire in 1974, worldwide 400 died in hotels fires, our Congress passed a Fire Prevention and Control Act of 1974, which has been amended upon since. Its a long document, but in the act hotels have to either provide ironing boards in the room or their laundry. The very last thing fire prevention personnel want is people using their irons on anything less tnan an ironing board...

Since NCL pulled their laundry rooms and don't have ironing boards in cabins, I highly recommend using the ship's laundry/cleaning service. There was and is a reason why Congress passed such legislation..... Safety first.....

We took a SA cruise on the Dream. I requested an iron and board and got both for 2 or 3 days before they took them away. I hope to get one on the Sun for a 27 days cruise in April. I do wish they still had laundries though. However it is a vacation so why not let them do it, right? Have a great trip. I am going to.

I understand that an Iron that is left on or just unattended while it is cooling down is a fire danger but it seems that smoking is a more common sorce of starting fires (at least in homes) it out numbers all other sorces.

If people can be trusted to deal with smoking in their rooms it seems that ironing should be ok.

That being said I have no intensions of ironing (or smoking:p) on my vacation

We were just on the Sky at the end of July with our parents and the staff no longer provided irons. Your three choices were - (1) pay for them to iron (i.e. putting your clothes in the laundry bag), (2) try to get some of the wrinkles out using the steam taking a shower in the morning, or (3) walk around wrinkled :D

Trust no one was walking around giving you the :confused: eye because your clothes were wrinkled, lol...

I am in the fire protection field myself so I totally understand and agree with not having irons in the room. However, it was our first time sailing with NCL and having did a Princess cruise this past January, there were public laundry rooms with irons/ironing boards set up and secured....Even if the irons didn't turn off by themselves, the laundry rooms were separated from the corridors by the necessary compartments and fire doors...LOL - even on vacation, I can't get away from work because I surely checked the laundry doors for their fire rating...Force of habit :D

I understand that an Iron that is left on or just unattended while it is cooling down is a fire danger but it seems that smoking is a more common sorce of starting fires (at least in homes) it out numbers all other sorces.

If people can be trusted to deal with smoking in their rooms it seems that ironing should be ok.

That being said I have no intensions of ironing (or smoking:p) on my vacation

Here we go.... now that being said, I'm thinking water should not be allowed in the pool since the major cause of accidents are slips and falls.......

Here we go.... now that being said, I'm thinking water should not be allowed in the pool since the major cause of accidents are slips and falls.......

I didn't say no smoking I said that if your going to trust people to smoke you should trust people to use an iron.:cool:

last time we were on the STAR someone asked for an iron and the cabin steward said NO SORRY and told them about the cleaning service on board...irons are not suppose to be on the ships and if you are getting them i think it depends on what ship, crew, etc because all i have ever heard is NO IRONS!!

I have never taken an ironing board. Just put a towel down on a flat hardish surface -- the bed will do in a pinch.

Now that's a fire waiting to happen.:(

The contract you agreed to says no irons, candles, knives, and the list goes on.

OP.. trust me... noone will even notice your clothes are less than perfectly ironed.

When we first get our stateroom, the first thing I do is take everything that needs to be pressed and give it to the stateroom attendant. It comes back the following day, all nice and pressed! The charge is minimal, and worth it to not have to stand there an iron on my vacation!! :D

I honestly never thought of that....I just spent time last night ironing some linen stuff for our cruise knowing that there would still be wrinkles after the suitcase gets finished with it. I even "roll" everything.....

What a great find on the forum tonight. Do you remember what the going rate is?

I used to pack a travel ironing board and travel iron but when they had the laundry rooms I used those, and now I don't feel right about packing an iron anymore because of safety concerns....and, to tell you the truth, the last thing I want to do on vacation is iron!

Archived