need suggestions for 84 yr old mother in law

carmcoop

I need suggestions for what to do in Belize - considering we will have my 84 yr old mother in law. This year she has greatly slowed down - She is a little shaky walking - but is okay with minimal assistance. Certainly nothing that requires too much walking or exertion. So long as she has AC for transportation, a chair in the shade and breeze, and not too much walking. For example:

In Grand Gayman, we'll take a taxi to 7 mile beach

In Cozumel, we'll take a cab to Paradise beach

In Roatan, we'll do a VB tour and a little beach time.

But I don't yet have Belize figured out..... We were in Belize a few years ago - we went to Bannister Island (directly from the boat).

So far, based on reading the posts it seems that our choices are

a) stay on the ship or

b) take the tender to port and maybe do Wet Lizard.

I'm a little concerned with the tender - I don't actually remember how rough that was?

Would appreciate any help you guys might have - how rough is the tender? including the getting on and off? Is Wet Lizard reasonable walking distance? Any other suggestions?

I really appreciate the help - we ALWAYS plan our trips based on the good info that everyone posts on this site - and I've never been disappointed!

My sister and I had Belize as ourr last stop on our recent Carnival Legend trip. We were so tired from three full days on our other stops, that we opted for a 3 or 4 hour ship sponsored tour in Belize. It was called "Sights and Sounds of Belize." I didn't expect much, but actually ended up really enjoying the tour. We took a bus through Old Belize and saw some local homes and got some history of the area. There is plenty of poverty visible, but there is also much to appreciate.

We stopped at a museum with some historic displays and they put on a show from some native Belizeans musicians. The show was my favorite part. They were quite good. For a relaxing, stress free tour suitable for any age, I found this to be a pretty good deal. The price was reasonable and you'll have some time to shop or eat in the port area after the tour. You can catch the tender back to the ship any time after the tour.

My overall favorite tour in Belize was the combo river tour with a trip to Altun Ha ruins. But is was a long day, was hot, and included a bumpy bus ride one way. It might be too much for your mom. My first suggestion is probably better suited.

The tender ride is fine, a bit crowded, but not rough.

Archived