Where is the rule that alcohol can not be brought on ship?

kdinkus1

Is there a rule that one can not bring their own alcohol onboard ship? If so, can you tell me where it is? Right now there is a thread about how much alcohol a person was able to smuggle onboard. Others responded with praise... If it is against Carnival's company policy, then why do people continue to do it? But most of all... why do others think this is great? What would happen if we all broke Carnival's rules? Is this deemed 'acceptable behavior' as long as one doesn't get caught? Saying that it's cheaper to bring their own liquor or that they still spend money at the bar so they're still giving money to Carnival, are still just excuses used to break the rules. It's still wrong... :(

Can I bring liquor on board?spacer.gifA liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However for purposes of housing small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

One view is that "rules are rules". I don't have a particular problem with that view. However, do the people who share that view ever drive a car at a speed that exceeds the posted speed limit, or cross the street when the "do not cross" sign or icon is illuminated?

There are dozens of examples of rules that are routinely broken and I suspect that many people who defend Carnival's right to prohibit surplus alcohol are also breaking these rules. People "smuggle" their own refreshments into movie theaters to avoid the high prices, despite the posted policies indicating "no outside food or beverages permitted".

People will take cell-phone photos at concerts despite printed restrictions on tickets "no outside audio or video recording devices permitted." My personal favorite is when people buy tickets to a sporting event and "move up" to better, vacant seats. They didn't pay for those seats and have no right to occupy them.

Excluding the "speeding" and "jaywalking" examples, these are all "rules" that are implemented via contract that people routinely break and no one seems to have a problem with it. So it is sometimes difficult to understand why the violation of a similar contract term gets so much attention.

Is there a rule that one can not bring their own alcohol onboard ship? If so, can you tell me where it is? Right now there is a thread about how much alcohol a person was able to smuggle onboard. Others responded with praise... If it is against Carnival's company policy, then why do people continue to do it? But most of all... why do others think this is great? What would happen if we all broke Carnival's rules? Is this deemed 'acceptable behavior' as long as one doesn't get caught? Saying that it's cheaper to bring their own liquor or that they still spend money at the bar so they're still giving money to Carnival, are still just excuses used to break the rules. It's still wrong... :(

LOL friday.gif

If it is against Carnival's company policy, then why do people continue to do it? But most of all... why do others think this is great? What would happen if we all broke Carnival's rules? Is this deemed 'acceptable behavior' as long as one doesn't get caught? Saying that it's cheaper to bring their own liquor or that they still spend money at the bar so they're still giving money to Carnival, are still just excuses used to break the rules. It's still wrong... :(

Well, you will be sure to get a lot if firey responses ... I'll give you my view.

• Cruise lines have a liability issue with alcohol. It is a dangerous substance when abused, and the ship is a moving vehicle. Lots and lots of dangers and chances for people to get injured if they drink too much. Every injury is a potential lawsuit. So, the ship bans liquor for liability insurance reasons, I am sure.
  • The fare you pay for your cruise is way less than it costs Carnival to provide you with the product you get for free with the fare. This has two big effects: charge extra for some food, beverages, and especially for alcohol. This spending brings the average passenger's cost up to a profitable level.

So there are valid reasons the cruise line has for the ban. Now here's my point of view:

• I am a responsible, mature adult and not a reckless kid (anymore) so I am not a danger when I drink. Some people cannot control their drinking and need supervision by a bartender, but I don't.
  • My cabin is like a hotel room in many ways. If I want to drink there, I am not taking space in a bar, or a bartender's time, nor am I going to annoy people. I should be able to drink in my room with my own booze. The cruise line agrees and lets you bring some wine and even lets you purchase liquor by the bottle for your room.
  • Regarding profits, no one forces Carnival and other lines to offer 7 day cruises for $349 - they choose to do that. If they can't make a profit they should raise the fare. Why make the young heavy drinker subsidize the older non-drinker? Makes no sense.

BUT the bottom line is enforcement. Some lines like NCL and RCL go to great lengths to catch smugglers. Still, there is no way to stop it, as I have brought on more alcohol on NCL recently than I could drink. But it takes more effort.

I applaud Carnival for realizing that enforcement (as it is done today) is futile. The only enforcement that would work would be if they kicked you off the ship if the find booze in your bag. If that happens, people will stop smuggling (and stop cruising too.) Even then, I doubt they would catch the rumrunners taped to my chest.

It's not a law, it's a company policy, and I can choose to abide or not as it is not strictly enforced.

While I've referred to this rule as one that arises through contract, there is significant debate about whether, in fact, a contractual term exists.

Let's say my wife pays for our tickets. Let's say it is a surprise and I don't even know about it until after the purchase is complete. How can I be bound by a contract that I didn't sign or enter into? My wife wasn't acting as my agent, because she didn't have my consent or direction. The only one theoretically bound by that contract is my wife. If I bring extra alcohol on board, I haven't breached any contract because I don't have one with Carnival.

But we can go one step further. Let's say I've bought my own tickets and I've stuffed my bag full of alcohol. I then present that bag full of alcohol to the embarkation staff who inspect that bag (likely with an X-ray scanner, but possibly also a hand-inspection). There is a legal principle that says that, despite their right to prevent me from boarding due to the contractual term related to alcohol, if they choose to allow me to board, then they have waived that term of the contract and I'm entitled to proceed as if that contractual term or policy didn't exist.

There is a fairly convincing view that Carnival actually wants you to break the rule. They are so lax in enforcing it because they don't want to discourage passengers from buying tickets. They would rather lose a few drink sales than lose a few cabin bookings. After a certain point, the "rule" ceases to have any standing because it is being continuously disregarded by Carnival's own staff, because it is to their advantage to do so.

With all that said, let me say that on our last cruise in March, we brought our share of two champagne bottles per couple. On the one before that, we didn't bring any of our own alcohol.

But I just can't get all excited about other passengers bringing their own beverages with them.

Better duck!! You're going to get hit hard.....

You are going to hear every excuse in the book, every reason why it's OK to break the rules, every personal reason under the sun.

You'll hear heartbreaking stories about how someone simply can't last a week without having their favorite beer, wine, booze and the ship doesn't sell it. Their palates are so refined that there is simply no other booze that can pass their lips. Then, those who like to have a nice drink on the balcony while getting dressed for dinner.....completely ignoring the fact that they can bring one from the bar...or order room service...or, indeed, a pre-arranged set up is available so you can have it in your cabin anytime.

Some will be honest and say they don't like paying shipboard prices for booze......so, bring their own to save money.

And, that's the crux of it. There are no sad stories, it's all because they want to save money. In the process, drink prices are raised every year....

Carnival is complicit in this. There are scanners that can detect liquids in a suitcase....some cruise lines already use this - and almost all airlines.

When Carnival gets serious, they'll put a stop to it. But, as long as they can raise prices for those of us who don't smuggle; as long as they reach their revenue targets, it probably won't change.

Some folks simply believe they are exempt from any rule they disagree with.....and, their behavior affects all of us.

Several of my cruising buddies and friends have started emailing Carnival objecting to the practice of ignoring smugglers....and, have filled out comment cards onboard objecting to the practice. Will it do any good? Probably not. But, who knows. It worked for the nonsmokers.....

There's just something wrong here....when the majority follow the rules and pay the prices while others are permitted to bring their own...and Carnival turns a blind eye to the practice. Some will say "well, you can smuggle too".....ignoring the fact that most of us recognize rules are rules....and choose to follow them...no matter what the place or situation.

Well, you will be sure to get a lot if firey responses ... I'll give you my view.

• Cruise lines have a liability issue with alcohol. It is a dangerous substance when abused, and the ship is a moving vehicle. Lots and lots of dangers and chances for people to get injured if they drink too much. Every injury is a potential lawsuit. So, the ship bans liquor for liability insurance reasons, I am sure.
  • The fare you pay for your cruise is way less than it costs Carnival to provide you with the product you get for free with the fare. This has two big effects: charge extra for some food, beverages, and especially for alcohol. This spending brings the average passenger's cost up to a profitable level.

So there are valid reasons the cruise line has for the ban. Now here's my point of view:

• I am a responsible, mature adult and not a reckless kid (anymore) so I am not a danger when I drink. Some people cannot control their drinking and need supervision by a bartender, but I don't.
  • My cabin is like a hotel room in many ways. If I want to drink there, I am not taking space in a bar, or a bartender's time, nor am I going to annoy people. I should be able to drink in my room with my own booze. The cruise line agrees and lets you bring some wine and even lets you purchase liquor by the bottle for your room.
  • Regarding profits, no one forces Carnival and other lines to offer 7 day cruises for $349 - they choose to do that. If they can't make a profit they should raise the fare. Why make the young heavy drinker subsidize the older non-drinker? Makes no sense.

BUT the bottom line is enforcement. Some lines like NCL and RCL go to great lengths to catch smugglers. Still, there is no way to stop it, as I have brought on more alcohol on NCL recently than I could drink. But it takes more effort.

I applaud Carnival for realizing that enforcement (as it is done today) is futile. The only enforcement that would work would be if they kicked you off the ship if the find booze in your bag. If that happens, people will stop smuggling (and stop cruising too.) Even then, I doubt they would catch the rumrunners taped to my chest.

It's not a law, it's a company policy, and I can choose to abide or not as it is not strictly enforced.

Actually, in most states, it is against the law to bring alcoholic beverages [other than wine] into a place that sells alcoholic beverages. LOOK IT UP! And until a ship leaves the dock, it IS a place that sells alcoholic beverages IN that state. Only then, does it become company policy.

BUT, LAW or POLICY, the ONLY important FACT is that we give our word to abide by the rules when we purchase our cruise fare. Smuggling booze aboard IS breaking your OWN word. So your S&S bill is $100., $200, $300, or $500. lower. My word, honor, and integrity is worth FAR more than that. Yours is worth the price you sell it for!

While I've referred to this rule as one that arises through contract, there is significant debate about whether, in fact, a contractual term exists.

Let's say my wife pays for our tickets. Let's say it is a surprise and I don't even know about it until after the purchase is complete. How can I be bound by a contract that I didn't sign or enter into? My wife wasn't acting as my agent, because she didn't have my consent or direction. The only one theoretically bound by that contract is my wife. If I bring extra alcohol on board, I haven't breached any contract because I don't have one with Carnival.

One flaw - by using the ticket you are bound to the contract:

This ticket is valid only for the person(s) named hereon as Guests and cannot be transferred or modified without Carnival’s written consent. The acceptance or use of this ticket by the person(s) named hereon as Guests shall be deemed acceptance and agreement by each of them to all of the terms and conditions of this Passage Contract.

One flaw - by using the ticket you are bound to the contract:

This ticket is valid only for the person(s) named hereon as Guests and cannot be transferred or modified without Carnival’s written consent. The acceptance or use of this ticket by the person(s) named hereon as Guests shall be deemed acceptance and agreement by each of them to all of the terms and conditions of this Passage Contract.

A ticket issuer can't "deem" acceptance. Only a court can "deem" that you accepted the ticket. Attempts to enforce deemed acceptance were routinely thrown out of court, until ticket issuers stopped trying them. They still print it on the ticket because they want to be as intimidating as possible.

Actually, in most states, it is against the law to bring alcoholic beverages [other than wine] into a place that sells alcoholic beverages. LOOK IT UP! And until a ship leaves the dock, it IS a place that sells alcoholic beverages IN that state. Only then, does it become company policy.

BUT, LAW or POLICY, the ONLY important FACT is that we give our word to abide by the rules when we purchase our cruise fare. Smuggling booze aboard IS breaking your OWN word. So your S&S bill is $100., $200, $300, or $500. lower. My word, honor, and integrity is worth FAR more than that. Yours is worth the price you sell it for!

Just like we all give our WORD when we sign our name to apply for a driver's license that we'll abide by the traffic laws, which is why we NEVER see anyone exceeding the speed limit.

I usually like to have a pre-dinner drink on my balcony while waiting for my wife to get ready. I am one of those passengers who packs a small bottle of whiskey in my luggage. That's it. I certainly purchase many bottles of wine and beer with my Sign & Sail card. I understand Carnival's policy on smuggling booze and when the day comes that they start enforcing this rule, I will discontinue "smuggling" booze. It wouldn't bother me in the least and I will still continue cruising with Carnival.

With that being said, what I can't stand on this board is the immaturity and irresponsibility of some posters who choose to post pictures and brag about the vast amounts of alcohol they smuggled on board. Yesterday's post was over the top! I'm sure Carnival management and employees read this board too.

If you don't smuggle anything on board then that is you. Why are others up in arms about things that they wouldn't have knowledge of unless the OP admits to it?

People do things that are worse than smuggling liquor and I'm pretty sure this is nothing new to Carnival or anyone else that reads these boards. If Carnival does happen to read the post and then acknowledges that said poster has been a repeat customer to their cruise line (despite all of the others that are available) and they choose to crackdown, trust me they'll feel it. I'm sure they will appreciate a repeat offender as long as that person uses their cruiseline for their vacation. All in all, they still make money!!!

If everyone were to mind their business and ignore those posts that somehow make you feel guilty of the offense as the poster - just don't read it.

I'm amazed that people have to comment on EVERY thread - geesh!!

The simple reason they don't allow it is becaue they want you to purchase it from them.......that is where they make their profit.......

It is the same anywhere a venue sells alcohol......period..........

You mean it's as simple as that? :eek:

I was on that thread this morning and was thoroughly enjoying the hilarious amounts of alcohol on the pictures and the comments. Please post if if you have it.

Thanks!!

p.s. I do bring an acceptable level when I travel - though I do purchase quite a bit from the ship also.

C'est la vie!!

If you don't smuggle anything on board then that is you. Why are others up in arms about things that they wouldn't have knowledge of unless the OP admits to it?

People do things that are worse than smuggling liquor and I'm pretty sure this is nothing new to Carnival or anyone else that reads these boards. If Carnival does happen to read the post and then acknowledges that said poster has been a repeat customer to their cruise line (despite all of the others that are available) and they choose to crackdown, trust me they'll feel it. I'm sure they will appreciate a repeat offender as long as that person uses their cruiseline for their vacation. All in all, they still make money!!!

If everyone were to mind their business and ignore those posts that somehow make you feel guilty of the offense as the poster - just don't read it.

I'm amazed that people have to comment on EVERY thread - geesh!!

And yet it is OK that you did :rolleyes:

I agree with you. I have never understood the mentality used here to excuse this behavior. And that's all it is - excuses to break a rule they don't like. The plain truth is they are trying to save a few bucks any way they can and they will justify their behavior any way they can. Period. Their is no way to argue with them. It doesn't bother their conscience to break this rule. To you and me it would. That's why they do it and we don't. No stuck up noses - just the way it is.

I agree with you. I have never understood the mentality used here to excuse this behavior. And that's all it is - excuses to break a rule they don't like. The plain truth is they are trying to save a few bucks any way they can and they will justify their behavior any way they can. Period. Their is no way to argue with them. It doesn't bother their conscience to break this rule. To you and me it would. That's why they do it and we don't. No stuck up noses - just the way it is.

So are you justifyng their behavior by saying they are trying to save a few bucks:confused: Or is that not the plain truth?

Just like we all give our WORD when we sign our name to apply for a driver's license that we'll abide by the traffic laws, which is why we NEVER see anyone exceeding the speed limit.

Just because you "see" someone speeding doesn't make it right. It is still breaking the traffic rules and if caught results in punishment.

A ticket issuer can't "deem" acceptance. Only a court can "deem" that you accepted the ticket. Attempts to enforce deemed acceptance were routinely thrown out of court, until ticket issuers stopped trying them. They still print it on the ticket because they want to be as intimidating as possible.

Probably why Carnival now requires that you acknowledge that you have read and accept the terms of the cruise contract as part of the funpass process.

When you click on the little box you accept the following (along with the rest of the contract):

"(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation."

Archived