Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

If the food is good, what difference does it make?

For me the food in Horizon Court on Princess was BETTER than in the MDR.

The taste of the food is what remembered not the location or the plate it's served on. If I want food to be remembered I go to a nice land restaurant serving hundreds not thousand. MDR is nothing more than banquet, served on pretty plate, though some think it's fine dining:p

quote]

Does Princess have a dress code for dinner?

Is there a dress code for Horizon Court?

Yes, they do and I found people were up to code but NOT the food!

Fortunately I only care about what I see in the mirror, the look in my beloved face, followed by what's on the place and the conversation I am sharing. BTW, the food was NOT deserving of these outfits with 3.5" heels and Wonder jelled push-up bra. So-so food on pretty plate is NOT reason enough! In search of a tasty dish, I wore the gowns in the buffet. No one said anything about violating dress code, which they could have easily argued.

2495765190101627832S200x200Q85.jpg2300733720101627832S200x200Q85.jpg

Great!!! Then let's get rid of the dress code discussions and turn the MDR into a Food Court!

"I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes." – Yves Saint-Laurent

So what does YSL know about fashion, obviously not as much as some who post here on CC.:rolleyes:

I've disagreed with her views on jeans but I have not found this to be the case at all. I think she's held her own against some of the name calling nitwits.

We can easily see whose posts the attacks came from...lets not call those fools out again...kind of like embarrassing those that are down already.

Thank you OV8!:D I always like discussing things with you on here, even if we don't disagree and enjoy your humor, as well!

But hey, that's coming from a pompous ditz, so take it with a grain of salt! Lol!:p

I have a problem with shorts in most venues to be honest. I hate to see them in airplanes too, but that's because I'm old and when I first started air travel in the early 60's, we always wore a suit and white gloves. I still wear shoes on planes. Can't bring myself to board without my feet covered. Old habits die hard I suppose.

But as to jeans, jeans are accepted in most places and when more formal, expensive jeans are readily accepted. The jeans I wear cost upward of $150. For a more dressy occassion, I pair them with a dressy shirt/top and accessorize with sparkling jewelry. A pair of high heels go with. I may be in jeans, but the look is appropriate in a casually formal environment.

But formal wear? NEVER would I wear a pair of jeans, no matter how expensive! :)

"I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes." – Yves Saint-Laurent

So what does YSL know about fashion, obviously not as much as some who post here on CC.:rolleyes:

Perfect. How do any of the anti jeans people combat that? They'll probably take their tux, go home and not play anymore.

Great!!! Then let's get rid of the dress code discussions and turn the MDR into a Food Court! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Good food, good company, good service.....you might be on to something!

Maybe some/few will stop acting as if they need others to dress a certain way to validate how they look and feel about their cruise.

To discuss food court, after 10 cruises I opted for the first time to go to the buffet for dinner. It was quite liberating, an easy feeling, unconstrained, not wondering if I was going to wait in vain for a meal I may not enjoy. Sheeesh, wait a second, that feeling was due to the fact the heels and bra were missing and I was wearing a pair of skinny jeans suitable for a Queen:D If the Queen was 5'11" she would be wearing them too. She knows class and elegance are in the fabric of ones character, not in the thread of ones clothing!

Perfect. How do any of the anti jeans people combat that? They'll probably take their tux, go home and not play anymore.

Wishful thinking. The poor souls woke up one morning and realize their very one of a kind vacation is nothing more than a boat ride for some, to see amazing places and meet wonderful people. Formal night is nothing more than an excuse for pictures because many people don't have to be told when to dress up, look fancy, and feel special. They do it for anniversary, church, dinners, or plays several time per years.

My husband and I wear fashionable, dark denim jeans when we go out. He prefers jeans to any other piece of clothing. However, on this cruise we won't wear them to the MDR to respect the dress code. We'll bring them for Windjammer and maybe they are allowed in the Pub?

I'm curious about Smart Casual night. I don't think I'll get DH to wear his jacket 3 nights! Is a shirt and tie sans jacket ok for that night? And he technically doesn't have a suit - but a black sport coat he wears with black pants.

No smart casual on our 7 dayer in August they had 2 formal and the rest casual.........Jeans are allowed and have been since my first cruise with RCCL back in 2004.....

If you don't want to wear them fine.......but I would suggest bringing a couple of pairs because once you get there and see for yourself how many people are wearing them you will be happy you brought yours;)

You can even ask the maitre di and he will tell you they are allowed..........

Wishful thinking. The poor souls woke up one morning and realize their very one of a kind vacation is nothing more than a boat ride for some, to see amazing places and meet wonderful people. Formal night is nothing more than an excuse for pictures because many people don't have to be told when to dress up, look fancy, and feel special. They do it for anniversary, church, dinners, or plays several time per years.

Have met many wonderful and interesting people on cruises. Some of us feel special every day the Lord lets us rise.

I'm getting confused again (for the tenth time on this thread). When you're talking about jeans verses tuxes, are you talking casual nights or formal nights? This thread is all about casual night, right?

But I do have to ask, do you think jeans are appropriate for formal nights in the MDR?

Peter

NO JEANS OR SHORTS IN THE MAIN DINNING ROOM.

I can't believe some people, why not stay in your room and order room service instead.

Take a shower, do your hair, change clothes for something casual and classy, put some perfume and nice shoes, make it a nice night out... but no jeans in MDR!

I'm getting confused again (for the tenth time on this thread). When you're talking about jeans verses tuxes, are you talking casual nights or formal nights? This thread is all about casual night, right?

But I do have to ask, do you think jeans are appropriate for formal nights in the MDR?

Peter

Pete R. Appropriate is for you to decide or better yet let RCI decide. What I know is I would not wear jeans or shorts, on casual nights but I have absolutely no problem with someone else that wears them on casual or formal nights, for that matter. It's not my business what other people wear as I have said before I am too busy enjoying the company of my lovely wife and the food, which I enjoy in the MDR, to even notice what other people wear. And I will never understand why what I wear would bother someone else or why they would even look at me(well it could be my sagging 53 year old man body that people can't take their eyes off) or my clothing. I really seems simple to me.

The poll has nothing to do with formal night.

However, on a brighter note......

Neither are okay in MDR is now leading with 305 votes (46.64%)

While jeans are fine, shorts are not has received 255 votes (38.99%).

The other options have too few votes to mention.

But wearing jeans is O.K. according to 345 people or 52.3 %

Had this been a new experience for a daughter of mine and she asked such a question' date=' I'd have encouraged her to pick up a book and read about it.....

Breeding is easy, teaching is the hard part.[/quote']

HAHA!!! I love these threads. The people who claim to have such good "breeding" and "class" would be eaten for lunch by those who actually have them.

I can't believe some people, why not stay in your room and order room service instead.

Take a shower, do your hair, change clothes for something casual and classy, put some perfume and nice shoes, make it a nice night out... but no jeans in MDR!

This is just the response that drives me crazy. How about you dress how you want and go where you want and every else does the same. It seems to me the typical response from people who don't think jeans or shorts should be in the dining room is "go somewhere else" or in your case "stay in your room". Ridiculous.

Peter

I would not but has to do more with pictures than anything else. Would it bother me if someone did, absolutely NOT. If I can go to church and listen to a wonderful sermon from someone wearing jean, I can do it in a dining room serving banquet food. I would prefer everyone dresses into their gowns and suits (tux I think is over done) because I think it looks quite lovely. I dress formally every night, in buffet or MDR. If there is a rule that stated NO jeans and someone broke it, would I get my knickers in a knot, I doubt it.!

If it bothers me that much, to ask about it on the internet, then it's time for ME to choice a different kind of vacation...JMOP

"Rules are guideline for the wise and blind obedience of fools"

Breaking them have propelled into greatest (Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandella) while landing others into jail (Martha Stewart)

Ummmm.....why don't you make sure to take a shower and do your hair, put on something causal and classy and make it a nice night out for yourself and I'll do the same. Sorry, but in this day and age, jeans with a dressy top and heels is a casual, classy outfit. What are you wearing that is different? Dockers? That's not considered classy where I'm from for dining out but casual, yes. Dress pants? Too business-wearish for dining out. What else....let's see? Skirt - sure, dress -sure - I mean it's all opinions, but since yours is so strong I'm just giving you mine.

Now if you are a man, then it's different. Nice jeans, polo shirt looks great. Sport coat, casual shirt and jeans look nice. I think a suit is a bit much on casual night for me, but okay. Dockers, again, to me are a bit too casual but for men I think's its fine.

See how useless my opinions are and how they don't really matter?:D Just because you haven't discovered the fashion of jeans doesn't mean its equated to not showering or doing your hair. Actually, that makes me ask. When you wear jeans do you not shower, brush your hair, put on nice shoes (I guarantee my heels are much nicer with my jeans than they would be with chino's or dockers;)) and perfume? Because that's kind of gross....just saying...

How would your dining experience change if you couldn't see what others are wearing? Would the food taste any different, the conversation any less. What if we lost our ability to turn our noses up and judge fabric.

Archived