Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

How would your dining experience change if you couldn't see what others are wearing? Would the food taste any different, the conversation any less. What if we lost our ability to turn our noses up and judge fabric.

People think about what a great post this is.

Ummmm.....why don't you make sure to take a shower and do your hair, put on something causal and classy and make it a nice night out for yourself and I'll do the same. Sorry, but in this day and age, jeans with a dressy top and heels is a casual, classy outfit. What are you wearing that is different? Dockers? That's not considered classy where I'm from for dining out but casual, yes. Dress pants? Too business-wearish for dining out. What else....let's see? Skirt - sure, dress -sure - I mean it's all opinions, but since yours is so strong I'm just giving you mine.

Now if you are a man, then it's different. Nice jeans, polo shirt looks great. Sport coat, casual shirt and jeans look nice. I think a suit is a bit much on casual night for me, but okay. Dockers, again, to me are a bit too casual but for men I think's its fine.

See how useless my opinions don't really matter?:D Just because you haven't discovered the fashion of jeans doesn't mean its equated to not showering or doing your hair. Actually, that makes me ask. When you wear jeans do you not shower, brush your hair, put on nice shoes (I guarantee my heels are much nicer with my jeans than they would be with chino's or dockers;)) and perfume? Because that's kind of gross....just saying...

That's so true! I don't know why jeans are associated with not showering. Is it because of all the Brett Favre and Nascar commercials? If so, that's just rude.

I mean, I guess it's a lot easier to just wear khakis and a button down and buy 7 of each and not care--and then if you don't know anything about what other people wear in other parts of the country, it's just easier to judge. It's funny that people often say things like, "Well, wouldn't you feel embarrassed or stand out if you wore x, y, or z in the MDR?" Well, these same people would stand out if they wore their dockers out to a nice dinner in NYC or Miami, wouldn't they?

NO JEANS OR SHORTS IN THE MAIN DINNING ROOM.

I can't believe some people, why not stay in your room and order room service instead.

Take a shower, do your hair, change clothes for something casual and classy, put some perfume and nice shoes, make it a nice night out... but no jeans in MDR!

I'm pretty sure my jeans, heels and cute top are going to look alot better than the woman at the next table's elastic waist, polyester pants, sweater with a picture of a cat on it and tennis shoes. But yes, both are allowed into the dining room on casual night. Jeans are perfectly fine and better than what many wear!

I'm pretty sure my jeans, heels and cute top are going to look alot better than the woman at the next table's elastic waist, polyester pants, sweater with a picture of a cat on it and tennis shoes. But yes, both are allowed into the dining room on casual night. Jeans are perfectly fine and better than what many wear!

I just busted out laughing because you described my Grandma's outfit to a tee!! sorry Grams, but it was funny!:p:D

P.S. - don't worry, she had an excellent sense of humor and would've laughed very hard at that description!:)

I just busted out laughing because you described my Grandma's outfit to a tee!! sorry Gram, but it was funny!:p:D

P.S. - don't worry, she had an excellent sense of humor and would've laughed very hard at that description!:)

Instead of worrying about who's wearing what or who should be allowed to wear what and when and why...........

And taking polls for same................

A much simpler poll shoud be asked..........

How many of you

1- Say thank you to God before you eat a meal?

2- Say thank you to God for giving you the funds, health, etc. to be able to go on these vacations?

I'll start the proceedings by answering yes to 1 & 2. any other takers?

Don't you think its amusing the attacks coming from both sides?You get throw the jeans in the trash can from one side and then you have some jean lover ridiculing someones Grandma for what she wears on the other.Why would one side be pathetically childish and the other side not?

:cj

Instead of worrying about who's wearing what or who should be allowed to wear what and when and why...........

And taking polls for same................

A much simpler poll shoud be asked..........

How many of you

1- Say thank you to God before you eat a meal?

2- Say thank you to God for giving you the funds, health, etc. to be able to go on these vacations?

I'll start the proceedings by answering yes to 1 & 2. any other takers?

Amen

Don't you think its amusing the attacks coming from both sides?You get throw the jeans in the trash can from one side and then you have some jean lover ridiculing someones Grandma for what she wears on the other.Why would one side be pathetically childish and the other side not?

I do think it's all amusing because I can tell who gets it and who doesn't. It just depends on how you look at it.

It's an internet message board. That's why it's amusing.

I do think it's all amusing because I can tell who gets it and who doesn't. It just depends on how you look at it.

It's an internet message board. That's why it's amusing.

I realize that most of these post are for amusement only.People cannot possibly get worked up that much over the way one dresses or the way a stranger thinks of what they wear.Its not like we are in High School anymore

I realize that most of these post are for amusement only.People cannot possibly get worked up that much over the way one dresses or the way a stranger thinks of what they wear.Its not like we are in High School anymore

Apparently they do. It's more that some people feel that they have the right--no, the duty--to impose their will on everyone else, and that those that don't adhere to their ideals will ruin their vacations. To me, it's funny that those people think that constantly re-posting dress codes or disparaging those that may have different ideas of dress will actually change someone's mind about what they will wear. The inflated sense of self-worth is mind boggling.

Apparently they do. It's more that some people feel that they have the right--no, the duty--to impose their will on everyone else, and that those that don't adhere to their ideals will ruin their vacations. To me, it's funny that those people think that constantly re-posting dress codes or disparaging those that may have different ideas of dress will actually change someone's mind about what they will wear. The inflated sense of self-worth is mind boggling.

There isn't one poster on this or any other cruise related message board whose negative comments would affect my vacation in a negative manner, ever.

Feel sorry for them, yes, pray for them, sure, argue a point here, why not, let them ruin my vaycay, no way Jose!

Attack? Ridiculing? She was just describing an outfit which seems to be more casual the hers..........

Attack? Ridiculing? She was just describing an outfit which seems to be more casual the hers..........

Exactly! I was just making a point that there are clothing items that fit the "code" that are much more casual and look much worse that a pair of nice, tailored jeans. Not that jeans are against any dress codes that I have seen in the last 5 years at least. I personally don't think that it is the fabric of a piece of clothing that makes it more casual than others, it is the fit and what you wear with it. A pair of men's Dockers for example, exactly the same cut as a many jeans yet the cotton fabric somehow makes these more upscale? Not! A pair of baggy elastic women's pants are much more casual than a pair of well fitting jeans.

And I never ridiculed anyones Grandmother! It was another poster who said hers dressed like that. Trust me I have seen younger women wear atroucious polyester outfits too!:eek:

Thanks for letting us know your psychic abilities. We'll add that to your repertoire of useless revelations on this thread.

Speaking of useless revelations, have you actually contributed ANYTHING of any use on this thread or any thread for that matter? You are truly an enlightned mind.

You painted the wrong picture.... Usually it's faded, sometimes ripped/holey and dirty jeans, and a shirt with 2 cats....hump'n.

Normally a person wearing polyester pants with the cat shirt that is not even close to being X-rated.

Pretty much a traditionalist but I guess what is appropriate is whatever is permitted to be worn. Just got back from a cruise on the Grandeur and saw quite a few shorts but did not particularly notice or look for folks wearing jeans. The folks that run the MDR set the standard and if they have no problem with shorts/jeans that should be the end of it.

Exactly! I was just making a point that there are clothing items that fit the "code" that are much more casual and look much worse that a pair of nice, tailored jeans. Not that jeans are against any dress codes that I have seen in the last 5 years at least. I personally don't think that it is the fabric of a piece of clothing that makes it more casual than others, it is the fit and what you wear with it. A pair of men's Dockers for example, exactly the same cut as a many jeans yet the cotton fabric somehow makes these more upscale? Not! A pair of baggy elastic women's pants are much more casual than a pair of well fitting jeans.

And I never ridiculed anyones Grandmother! It was another poster who said hers dressed like that. Trust me I have seen younger women wear atroucious polyester outfits too!:eek:

The problem is: If RCI were to add jeans to the dress code, it would be a generic reference to jeans. This would then allow the dirty, ripped, holey and faded jeans.

Look at the code now..it is too generic and it has become an "anything goes", in some people's minds.

Before you give yourself a cramp patting yourself on the back I would give credit to your daughter for working hard.

Unless you jammed all that info into her head with the business end of a shovel I would say that her accomplishments are hers, not yours.:)

but hey..you wouldn't be the first person to ever live vicariously through a kid.;)

I don't think he's living vicariously through his DD at all. I mean, unless his DD somehow magically popped out as an infant knowing everything about working hard, behaving appropriately, and being a strong woman, her parents perhaps do deserve those pats on the backs. Certainly his DD is to be commended and praised for her accomplishments (and good humor too).

beachchick

That says it all:D The thing is why do you care??:confused: I'm sure some see what you wear as atrocious also.So what.This is not High School.Why should someone care if you think they look atrocious?:confused:Are you the clothes police?:rolleyes:

I loved my Grandmother so much I would never laugh at what she was wering like one poster sadly did.I guess I just remember the love

The problem is: If RCI were to add jeans to the dress code, it would be a generic reference to jeans. This would then allow the dirty, ripped, holey and faded jeans.

Look at the code now..it is too generic and it has become an "anything goes", in some people's minds.

Just like now when it says "slacks". That can mean nice, tailored, linen pants or elastic waisted polyester yet no one, including me is saying that they should be banned. Trust me, it is already anything goes. The people who think that their polyester pants are fine for the main dining room are the same ones that will be wearing tacky jeans, most everyone else will know what is appropriate. There will always be a certain percentage of people who either don't look in the mirror or don't care.

Archived