Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

That says it all:D The thing is why do you care??:confused: I'm sure some see what you wear as atrocious also.So what.This is not High School.Why should someone care if you think they look atrocious?:confused:Are you the clothes police?:rolleyes:

I loved my Grandmother so much I would never laugh at what she was wering like one poster sadly did.I guess I just remember the love

:cj

I am not trying to ban polyester in the dining room but you are trying to ban denim.

This thread is about whether or not jeans should be allowed in the dining room- you're right it is not high school but that is the topic.

This is what I would wear

jeans.jpg.01f56c8117de41c93c156010f9e8a045.jpg

Can anyone honestly say that it looks worse than something like this

polyester.jpg.db1a4570af90895f7a6e86bcb1831ebf.jpg

The one on the bottom is what the jean haters think is appropriate for the dining room on casual nights but the other photo is not?:eek:

On most of my cruises, especially the HAL one, a majority of the women were dressed like the 2nd photo, not anything I would wear but not something I think should not be allowed. Everyone should be able to wear what they want as long as it is ok with the cruiseline!

This thread is about whether or not jeans should be allowed in the dining room- you're right it is not high school but that is the topic.

[ATTACH]133517[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]133518[/ATTACH]

The one on the bottom is what the jean haters think is appropriate for the dining room on casual nights but the other photo is not?

On most of my cruises, especially the HAL one, a majority of the women were dressed like the 2nd photo, not anything I would wear but not something I think should not be allowed. Everyone should be able to wear what they want as long as it is ok with the cruiseline!

You took a very black/white approach.

There is another alternative.... you could also wear nice capris (which would be lighter for a Caribbean cruise anyways).

There really is no debate...cruiselines want to appeal to many more people...which is why jeans are now allowed, just as how they have a more relaxed formal night...you are no longer "required" to wear a tux or suit, some men are wearing just nice shirts and ties (no jackets) and women in nice dresses but not gowns as it was at one point.

It is no longer the "upscale" vacation that it once was. Which means that, if they are smart and want to target all demographics, they will allow jeans. Which results in many other changes.

So...like it or not the "no jeans" have lost.

That says it all:D The thing is why do you care??:confused: I'm sure some see what you wear as atrocious also.So what.This is not High School.Why should someone care if you think they look atrocious?:confused:Are you the clothes police?:rolleyes:

I loved my Grandmother so much I would never laugh at what she was wering like one poster sadly did.I guess I just remember the love

Come on, if you can't laugh at granny in polyester and a 45 years old mama (me) in a prom/bridesmaid's gown, what can you laugh at. If you met me or my granny we would laugh with you too. I give you permission to laugh if you see me tumble down the stairs on any ship in heels. It's funny to see someone 5'.11" wearing 3.5-4" heels on a moving ship. Laughter is always fine, as long as you are not pointing. Dancing in them was plain silly! I

Hazeleyez- I agree that cruising is NOT the "upscale' vacation it used to be. The cruise lines have decided to turn wonderful vessels meant to take you to beautiful places into amusement parks and circus at sea. After doing rock wall and flow rider, my legs and body would be useless for pretty shoes and frock. It doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to sit and have a nice meal because I had too much fun in the day.

That's Funny!

2891288220101627832S200x200Q85.jpg

Aww - sorry she didn't instill any sense of humor or irony or a zest for life in you. I feel bad for you and you certainly have my pity. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful relationship with my Grandma as a person, not just a figurehead....

By the way, people that can't laugh at themselves or close family without malice because they are afraid of how it will be perceived seem to be sheltered and joyless, to me. You shouldn't have to 'remember the love' it should just be there....

You took a very black/white approach.

There is another alternative.... you could also wear nice capris (which would be lighter for a Caribbean cruise anyways).

There really is no debate...cruiselines want to appeal to many more people...which is why jeans are now allowed, just as how they have a more relaxed formal night...you are no longer "required" to wear a tux or suit, some men are wearing just nice shirts and ties (no jackets) and women in nice dresses but not gowns as it was at one point.

It is no longer the "upscale" vacation that it once was. Which means that, if they are smart and want to target all demographics, they will allow jeans. Which results in many other changes.

So...like it or not the "no jeans" have lost.

Sorry, I don't wear capris very often. I am only 5'4" and in my opinion, unless you are very tall, capris make your legs look even shorter and stubbier than they are. Not a very flattering look for us short people! My jeans are not hot at all, in fact they "breathe" much better and are cooler than synthetic fabrics like rayon and polyester.

Aww - sorry she didn't instill any sense of humor or irony or a zest for life in you. I feel bad for you and you certainly have my pity. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful relationship with my Grandma as a person, not just a figurehead....

By the way, people that can't laugh at themselves or close family without malice because they are afraid of how it will be perceived seem to be sheltered and joyless, to me. You shouldn't have to 'remember the love' it should just be there....

She installed values in me that sadly you are lacking and I don't need a lecture from a angry person like you .I thank the Lord I don't have to go thru life being like you.I will pray for you.You have my pity

[ATTACH]133517[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]133518[/ATTACH]

The one on the bottom is what the jean haters think is appropriate for the dining room on casual nights but the other photo is not?:eek:

Wonderful examples!! The first, to me, is obviously so much better and more fashionable but that doesn't mean the second outfit should be banned!:rolleyes:

Great point!

She installed values in me that sadly you are lacking and I don't need a lecture from a pathetic person like you .I thank the Lord I don't have to go thru life being like you.I will pray for you.You have my pity

If the values you display here are the ones you profess she instilled in you I would think she would be quite embarrassed, personally. Unless she was the one that taught you to judge people based on how they dress, talk down to people, name call and have false superiority issues....

Thanks for the prayers though! However, not sure if whoever you pray to would smile on that kind of thanks you are offering! Lol:p:p

She installed values in me that sadly you are lacking and I don't need a lecture from a pathetic person like you .I thank the Lord I don't have to go thru life being like you.I will pray for you.You have my pity

This post is how you make your dear granny proud:confused:.

Would name calling and put down of a female one of those precious values? Heavens sake, you brought the Lord into this after calling one of his creation pathetic and a feeling of pity. You might be thanking someone but who is to be determined. My granny taught me when you live a life thanking the Lord you feel Grace and sympathy towards others. Maybe we all need to start worrying about ourself, starting with praying for ourself....JMOP

No flame intended because granny said that would not be nice:-)

So much about granny, back to jeans in the dining room!

Ummmm.....why don't you make sure to take a shower and do your hair, put on something causal and classy and make it a nice night out for yourself and I'll do the same. Sorry, but in this day and age, jeans with a dressy top and heels is a casual, classy outfit. What are you wearing that is different? Dockers? That's not considered classy where I'm from for dining out but casual, yes. Dress pants? Too business-wearish for dining out. What else....let's see? Skirt - sure, dress -sure - I mean it's all opinions, but since yours is so strong I'm just giving you mine.

Now if you are a man, then it's different. Nice jeans, polo shirt looks great. Sport coat, casual shirt and jeans look nice. I think a suit is a bit much on casual night for me, but okay. Dockers, again, to me are a bit too casual but for men I think's its fine.

See how useless my opinions are and how they don't really matter?:D Just because you haven't discovered the fashion of jeans doesn't mean its equated to not showering or doing your hair. Actually, that makes me ask. When you wear jeans do you not shower, brush your hair, put on nice shoes (I guarantee my heels are much nicer with my jeans than they would be with chino's or dockers;)) and perfume? Because that's kind of gross....just saying...

I'm pretty sure my jeans, heels and cute top are going to look alot better than the woman at the next table's elastic waist, polyester pants, sweater with a picture of a cat on it and tennis shoes. But yes, both are allowed into the dining room on casual night. Jeans are perfectly fine and better than what many wear!

I have to admit some ladies look beautiful in jeans & heels for these few they can get away even with murder :-) not only on cruises but anywhere the rules are bended or overlooked if this is the case -happens all the time... but the average Joe, please.

Now let me apologize if you are one of these selected goddess on earth you can wear anything you want and everyone will recognize this :-) T

Many people when told they can wear jeans, wear the same ones that they use to mow the lawn. How many look as good and have the fit as the models in the attached photo examples.

Right! Just like many when told to wear "slacks" wear elastic waist polyester. What is your point?

I have to admit some ladies look beautiful in jeans & heels for these few they can get away even with murder :-) not only on cruises but anywhere the rules are bended or overlooked if this is the case -happens all the time... but the average Joe, please.

Now let me apologize if you are one of these selected goddess on earth you can wear anything you want and everyone will recognize this :-) T

Apology accepted! LOL!!!:p:D:p

No! I wish I looked as good as the model. But you have to admit that any woman would look better in outfit #1 than #2, yet the 2nd one conforms to the "code".

Many people when told they can wear jeans, wear the same ones that they use to mow the lawn.

That maybe what you do, but don't assume that others do the same. You have adopted the same ridiculous reasoning that many anti jean people adopt, namely, jeans by their very nature must be dirty, worn out, full of holes and worn by someone with no class or dress taste.

Get with it, it's 2009, Eisenhower is no longer President.

You painted the wrong picture.... Usually it's faded, sometimes ripped/holey and dirty jeans, and a shirt with 2 cats....hump'n.

Usually? On all the cruises that I have been on, I've never seen dirty/ripped jeans and never a shirt as you describe, but it is good to see you posting something other than the link to the suggested dress code.

If the values you display here are the ones you profess she instilled in you I would think she would be quite embarrassed, personally. Unless she was the one that taught you to judge people based on how they dress, talk down to people, name call and have false superiority issues....

Thanks for the prayers though! However, not sure if whoever you pray to would smile on that kind of thanks you are offering! Lol:p:p

Whatever:rolleyes:

This post is how you make your dear granny proud:confused:.

Would name calling and put down of a female one of those precious values? Heavens sake, you brought the Lord into this after calling one of his creation pathetic and a feeling of pity. You might be thanking someone but who is to be determined. My granny taught me when you live a life thanking the Lord you feel Grace and sympathy towards others. Maybe we all need to start worrying about ourself, starting with praying for ourself....JMOP

No flame intended because granny said that would not be nice:-)

So much about granny, back to jeans in the dining room!

whatever:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't wear capris very often. I am only 5'4" and in my opinion, unless you are very tall, capris make your legs look even shorter and stubbier than they are. Not a very flattering look for us short people! My jeans are not hot at all, in fact they "breathe" much better and are cooler than synthetic fabrics like rayon and polyester.

Well, since I am only 5' I must be one of those that people say look much worse than those in jeans...guess I'll have to re-think my wardrobe for January.

Well, since I am only 5' I must be one of those that people say look much worse than those in jeans...guess I'll have to re-think my wardrobe for January.

You can still wear capris! They just don't look that great on me, but I have worn them. Pair them with great shoes that don't cut you off at the ankle and you'll look great!:)

luckyprincess

The more of your posts that I read, the more I hope I never cruise with you! You seem to be very full of yourself, and very judgemental! People who really do look good in clothes don't have to tell others that they do. Your name seems to say it all, you think you are a princess, maybe you just neeed to grow up a bit, after all, you are "youngish"!

You can still wear capris! They just don't look that great on me, but I have worn them. Pair them with great shoes that don't cut you off at the ankle and you'll look great!:)

Trust me, I do...my husband laughs at how picky I am when I am looking for some "dressy" sandals. I am not partial to flats (especially with how short I am) or very casual shoes.

Gotta love being short...I think I read on hear that someone sometimes wears nice pants with filp flops? I am sure they look very stylish on him/her but my gosh on me...I would have tripped on the pants leg very easily...forget about what I was wearing, people would be irritated at having to step over me to get into the MDR.:)

Archived