Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

The question is about non-formal nights. You would wear a tux?

Does this look like an outfit for changing oil?....

http://www.bcbusinessonline.ca/bcb/after-hours/style/2008/10/09/boris-wertz-nexopia

Unlike many, it seems , i know when to wear a tux,the outfit shown will fit in at any ball game or stag party.My employees also knew what to wear and when.

Unlike many, it seems , i know when to wear a tux,the outfit shown will fit in at any ball game or stag party.My employees also knew what to wear and when.

So again - you would wear a tux on non-formal nights - since that's what this thread is addressing? Just want to clarify that you think that's appropriate... If not, what would you wear for casual dinner wear? Just curious:)

P.S. - What is a stag party? Is it like a bachelor party? I've never heard that term.

I feel that except for the first night, when luggage may or may have have made an appearance, it is inappropriate to wear shorts or jeans in the MDR. I feel that it is an elegant place, and not dressing nicely ruins the feel and mood of the dining experience.

Am I going to be fashion police and condemn others for what they choose to wear? Nope. But you will not catch me, or my husband wearing anything less than our best when we dine in the MDR on a cruise. If we don't feel like making the effort, we will choose another dining venue for that evening.

I tell the dh and the kids to leave the jeans at home. We have plenty of clothes that fall into the "business casual" or "classy but casual" scene without denim.

Fashion police...I won't say anything but I may just take your picture when you aren't looking so I can someday post it on Cruise Critic! ;)

I guess I am used to going to different places, but the MDR really isn't so elegant or upscale as to deserve this much deference: it's a large banquet room that seats 1000 people. If it were on land, no one would get very excited about it. I think Portofino is much nicer and more elegant than the MDR, and no one gets worked up about what people wear there.

I guess I am used to going to different places, but the MDR really isn't so elegant or upscale as to deserve this much deference: it's a large banquet room that seats 1000 people. If it were on land, no one would get very excited about it. I think Portofino is much nicer and more elegant than the MDR, and no one gets worked up about what people wear there.

I agree. I have made this point before that it is essentially a large catering hall - yes it's very pretty, but this isn't fine dining - it's banquet dining. But then someone told me that for them, this is the only time they dine out with cloth napkins, china and traditional table settings, so for them, this is fine dining. So I do understand that idea.

I think it matters where you are from, how often you eat at actual fine dining or at least Michelin starred type places and whatnot, so I do get that for some people this is truly an event. I've said it before, but my sister lives in South Dakota not near a major city and she has said that where she is Olive Garden is probably the nicest restaurant there is...

I agree. I have made this point before that it is essentially a large catering hall - yes it's very pretty, but this isn't fine dining - it's banquet dining. But then someone told me that for them, this is the only time they dine out with cloth napkins, china and traditional table settings, so for them, this is fine dining. So I do understand that idea.

I think it matters where you are from, how often you eat at actual fine dining or at least Michelin starred type places and whatnot, so I do get that for some people this is truly an event. I've said it before, but my sister lives in South Dakota not near a major city and she has said that where she is Olive Garden is probably the nicest restaurant there is...

You're absolutely right and I appreciate that. But people like your sister are not the ones making the big deal about this. It's the people who act like they regularly dine at Michelin two stars, but really only know of Michelin as a tire company. I've been fortunate enough to go to Michelin starred restaurants, and some of the outfits I see in the MDR that are seen as fitting into the dress code would be grossly out of place there.

You're absolutely right and I appreciate that. But people like your sister are not the ones making the big deal about this. It's the people who act like they regularly dine at Michelin two stars, but really only know of Michelin as a tire company. I've been fortunate enough to go to Michelin starred restaurants, and some of the outfits I see in the MDR that are seen as fitting into the dress code would be grossly out of place there.

Excellent point - you are right on that!:p

ok this is how I see it. The MDR should be a place where you dress nicer, it is a nice restaurant. If you want to wear jeans or shorts or anything other that a little dressier clothing, then they have created the WJ and such for that. Come on people would it kill you to step out of your comfort zones and follow the rules that are in place.

Sorry I had to get that off my chest, this issue drives me crazy!

Or it depends on how and what they feel is appropriate. I live 20 minutes from Baltimore which has many fine dining restaurants. It is also easy to get to DC, Philly, and, if you want to go up to NYC for a weekend - its only a 3 hour train ride. I have been to many 5* restaurants. At chain restaurants I will wear jeans. Dinner in the MDR, while its not 5* it is classier (in my eyes) than restaurants such as Olive Garden.

ok this is how I see it. The MDR should be a place where you dress nicer, it is a nice restaurant. If you want to wear jeans or shorts or anything other that a little dressier clothing, then they have created the WJ and such for that. Come on people would it kill you to step out of your comfort zones and follow the rules that are in place.

But the point is that there are tons of people not wearing jeans and shorts that do not look dressy and in fact look sloppier than wearing nice jeans and heels so where do you draw the line? The cruiselines now allow jeans in the dining room. Does this mean jeans that you would do yardwork in? No. Just like it shouldn't mean "slacks" that look sloppy either but that doesn't stop people from wearing them anyway. There are always going to be people who do not look "dressed" for dinner no matter what fabric they are wearing. I don't own a pair of women's Dockers, I would never in a million years wear something like that. I do however have lots of business style wool, cotton and linen slacks. I would never wear these out either because I consider them my work clothes and associate them with business. I will wear a skirt, a sundress or great jeans and a top when going out either at home or on vacation.

Looks like the guy who cuts my lawn. But he doesn't wear a sport coat.:rolleyes:

Brittney doesn't wear underwear, is that the look we should follow? Or George Clooney's day old beard stubble.

Hey sorry, but I just have to chime in here for a second. George Clooney would be welcome to sit at my dining table in the MDR ANYTIME, day old beard stubble or not....LoL!!!

Colleen

I know, we're all going a little crazy from other people's opinions!:p But as a lot of people have mentioned, jeans, heels and a dressy top is dressy in most major cities for dining out in far nicer venues than the MDR. To go to a nice restaurant in say, NYC, you would wear what I just described, not dress pants, dockers, a fancy dress - that's just not considered appropriate for some of the nicest restaurants out there. What is it you would wear to the MDR that would look differently nicer than say, this outfit:

3961141360_82ba5dd345.jpg

I know, we're all going a little crazy from other people's opinions!:p But as a lot of people have mentioned, jeans, heels and a dressy top is dressy in most major cities for dining out in far nicer venues than the MDR.

I agree. It seems that stepping aboard a ship makes you enter a bit of a time warp. Fun thread.

I wear shorts most of the time. However went I go to the MDR for dinner I will not wear shorts. Jeans are okay unless they are ripped to shreds making you look like a hobo. When it comes down to the bottom line whatever the rules of the ship are is what should be followed. If the MDR has a dress code it should not only be followed but enforced. It does not take too much effort to put on a pair of decent pants while going into a roomful of people to share a meal.

Actually, shorts do not bother me as much as flip-flops. You sit down for a nice dinner and look down to see someones nasty,ugly beat up feet. I'd have everyone in shorts and tee shirts as long as they all wore shoes.:p

Archived