Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

Ok, I admit to only reading page one and then the last 4 pages but call me crazy - RCCL does NOT prohibit jeans in the dining room. By virtue of working in a fashion related industry, I'm going to wear my Blue Cults or 7's if I want to dang it - they are not dungarees or jeans I mow the yard in. (Although I don't mow, Mr Wolf does, but you get my point.) And now that I've made my point, I don't really wear jeans on a cruise - they're too heavy and I like wearing something lighter but there are no prohibitions against them and insulting people for wearing jeans is out of line - if RCCL does not prohibit it, why the insults? You can't force people to have common sense or good taste. There are some outfits that are MUCH worse than a pair of jeans - the scary bright yellow crinoline too short square dance dress I saw once on a lady of a certain age springs to mind. :eek: :eek:

Off topic to Lucky P - I dinged that other little personal attack on you today. Kudos to you for taking the high road and ignoring it.

Thank you so much!! I took a deep...cleansing....breath.... Lol!:p

Wanna make a bet the people who think it okay to wear jeans are a lot younger than those who think it inappropriate?

I guess it depends what you call old, but I'm 75 and I wear jeans in the MDR on casual nights, you lose your bet.

There are some outfits that are MUCH worse than a pair of jeans - the scary bright yellow crinoline too short square dance dress I saw once on a lady of a certain age springs to mind.

I've cruised with some of the dress code mafia who love to give advice on what people should wear. I just hope that nobody listens to them. They left a lot to be desired.

How about one floor jeans and shorts, one floor true casual. I bet the jeans and shorts would be full and after 10 cruises of not going to the dining room you will find me there. I do go true casual at Chops at least two times a cruise but the rest is shorts.................I'm on vacation.....................

jbond, I was using a dramatic example to prove the same point - that automatically making jeans a dirty word of something to wear is inappropriate when there are non jeans outfits that are easily more frightening.

if you have a problem with jeans, don't cruise Voyager.
My comment was in general to the thread, not to any one poster. Hence, the paragraph separation. Thanks for allowing me to clarify my comment.

I guess it depends what you call old, but I'm 75 and I wear jeans in the MDR on casual nights, you lose your bet.

I've cruised with some of the dress code mafia who love to give advice on what people should wear. I just hope that nobody listens to them. They left a lot to be desired.

I'm with ya sister! I'm a few years behind you but I wear jeans 24/7. I was just pointing out that younger people were born in a time where jeans have always been fashionable. My generation not so much.

To the rude comment above about jeans on Voyager, I realize that will happen and will probably happen in the dining room as well, but I think it is not in good taste. I have been on enough cruises to know how it works and there are always those that will try to ruin your vacation. These postings were about your opinion and I gave mine, I am sorry that you don't agree but that is your option. However, being rude is not called for, so please keep that in mind. Last I checked we all had the right to state how we feel and that can happen without taking jabs at other people.

Interesting how wearing jeans being okay is keeping a pretty good pace with those who think wearing jeans is not okay. Wanna make a bet the people who think it okay to wear jeans are a lot younger than those who think it inappropriate? ;)

I'm pretty darn old and I think jeans are fine, only own one pair but think they are fine in any setting.

Interestingly, I'm at work right now. Work dress code is business casual. And I am currently wearing jeans. So, it would seem that in some (many) instances, jeans ARE considered business casual.

Yes. That's been true here (midwest) for a long time, depending on employer, industry, rank/nature of job, blah blah.

On this job, we can't wear BLUE jeans without special permission (dirty projects) but can wear jeans of any other color any day of the week. I have 2 different browns, and 2 green, and 2 black and one new pair that is very deep red and still too good for work ; )

I'm with ya sister! I'm a few years behind you but I wear jeans 24/7. I was just pointing out that younger people were born in a time where jeans have always been fashionable. My generation not so much.

I can at least remember when parents of my friends started wearing jeans. It was very weird at first because KIDS wore jeans, not adults, except workmen. Then they gained acceptance. early 70s?

Mom doesn't wear them any more, at 75, but dad still would be, pushing 80. I don't ever remember seeing his older brother in them, tho. Dad wore a suit and tie to work, his brother was in tool and die.

I think there is something to the "wear something you don't have to wear to work" on vacation.

Am I too late to suggest Denim of the Seas as the newest ship??!!

Denim Dinner, strictly enforced. Even Formal Night could be denim-required.

Interestingly, I'm at work right now. Work dress code is business casual. And I am currently wearing jeans. So, it would seem that in some (many) instances, jeans ARE considered business casual.

Wonder what the boss thinks. No jeans in my office of professional engineers and architects. Well, since I'm considered to be living in Mayberry by a previous poster, since jeans are at the bottom of the clothes tree, how do you dress down from there? Jeans for painting, mowing, and ... a sit down dinner, weddings, funerals.

I think I'm going to start wearing sweat pants to the MDR so when I pack on those cruise pounds from choking down the "terrible" food, I will be comfortable and no one will notice by stomach hanging out.:D

(quote]

I have to agree that age isn't a true factor here. While I won't "look down" on people who wear nice jeans to dinner, my preference would be to not allow them (and I am 33).

I have to agree that age isn't a true factor here. While I won't "look down" on people who wear nice jeans to dinner, my preference would be to not allow them (and I am 33).

Now see.....here is a mature way to express disapproval of jeans (unlike the person before you). Thank you.

These are TWO different choices. You cannot lump them together. Each person is allowed ONE vote. That vote has to choose one or the other. So, Neither jeans or shorts has the most votes at 355.

Jeans are fine, Shorts are not is 2nd with 304 votes.

This morning's tally

Jeans O.K. - 431

No Jeans - 381

Sadam strikes again.

(quote]

I agree this was a nice way to put your feelings into words.

I also agree with your viewpoint.

I don't think this issue is about "age" as much as it is about what people believe is "tasteful" for the MDR. Saying that the younger crowd would always be the ones who would vote to allow jeans isn't fair.

You would be considered one of the "younger" crowd and I'm betting there are lots more like you who feel the same.:)

This morning's tally

Jeans O.K. - 431

No Jeans - 381

Sadam strikes again.

That sounds official enough for me. Let those that don't approve look the other way....as long as the condition of what anyone is wearing, why on earth should is make a difference what a person chooses to wear? It makes absolutely no difference on the quality of the food.

oops.... the morning tally reads:

Jeans OK= 321

NO Jeans = 382

I just voted. Now to read on and enjoy the entertainment. MDR dress code always is. Im going to try & not comment lol

No - you have to add jeans/no shorts with jeans and shorts okay because both categories say 'jeans ok'. So the tally is:

Jeans ok: 431

jeans not okay: 382

:)

And actually, with all of the numbers this is the stats:

# of people that feel Jeans are ok: 432

# of people that feel Shorts are ok: 121

# of people that feel Jeans are not ok: 392

# of people that feel Shorts are not ok: 703

I disagree with the notion the Applebees puts out a better plate than the MDR on any RCL ship on a consistent basis.

Applebees uses bagged salad for their tossed salad just for a start, yuck. And serves Pepsi at the bar, double yuck.

And in Manhattan there has to be at least 100 high class restaurants that require a jacket & tie.

Agreed! Applebees is good fast food with bagged salad! No comparison to RCI MDR's. And as for NYC classy restaurtants, There ARE many that require suits & ties (that was to the poster who disagreed about suit & tie spots in the city. They are there, beleive me!)

We just got off the Grandeur. Jeans are ok, I saw only one guy in shorts over 5 nights. Carnival is more relaxed with this policy.

the one time we sailed Carnival Miracle we were VERY surprised when the night before Formal night the Maitre 'd actually made an announcement in the MDR that they will not allow any one with jeans or shorts the following night. We were quite surprised!

Re read my quote above. >>>>clip fwd>>

To most people, it's a place you have dinner that doesn't cost extra and don't have to stand in a line.

Ouch, we're never going to be on the same cruise. Wow. It always puzzles me that some folks think THEY dont pay for the food on their cruise. Plus, mjm - this is a message board, unless you took your own poll and can furnish results, why say "to most people", that reveals ignorance. Plus, how can it even remotely be 'generational', my kids look fwd to dressing up as do other kids (20somethings) we sail with do! And, they loveee their jeans and I loveee mine!

I havent often see jeans in the MDR, and I admit we (4) are all people-watchers (in general). I was in the fashion industry in the city and its hard to not notice fashion. The only things we might notice in the MDR are 'unsightly' things..or entertaining things :-) A 17yo came to the MDR one night dressed like the Captain...blue blazer and he bought a kids white captains hat in the logo shop! He had slacks on tho, no jeans! rofl adorable!

No - you have to add jeans/no shorts with jeans and shorts okay because both categories say 'jeans ok'. So the tally is:

Jeans ok: 431

jeans not okay: 382

:)

And actually, with all of the numbers this is the stats:

# of people that feel Jeans are ok: 432

# of people that feel Shorts are ok: 121

# of people that feel Jeans are not ok: 392

# of people that feel Shorts are not ok: 703

Wait! you mean I have to do morning math?? uh oh, Im in trouble lol...:D

Thanks, more coffee for me then some math!

Awwww, now I dont like the poll! Too confusing for a blonde in the morning! (j/k) Maybe a poll is in order with each option being unique! lol

Archived