Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

Wait! you mean I have to do morning math?? uh oh, Im in trouble lol...:D

Thanks, more coffee for me then some math!

Awwww, now I dont like the poll! Too confusing for a blonde in the morning! (j/k) Maybe a poll is in order with each option being unique! lol

I know, I know!! That's why I did it for us - I've had about 3 cups already!:eek:

Believe me, this redhead gets confused just as easy!:D And I had NO IDEA that this poll would grow to such huge numbers, so you can understand if I bow out of making another??:p

Agreed! Applebees is good fast food with bagged salad! No comparison to RCI MDR's. And as for NYC classy restaurtants, There ARE many that require suits & ties (that was to the poster who disagreed about suit & tie spots in the city. They are there, beleive me!)

I was saying no to the 'there are at least 100 high class restaurants that require a suit and tie'. I live here, too:) (yay bridge and tunnel crew) and have worked in the NYC hospitality industry along with my sweetie of 6 years - him as a chef with such people as Thomas Keller, Laurent Tourondaol, Chrisitan Delovrier and the like. Even per se, which is rated in the top 5 restaurants in the country call for a jacket/no tie. I guess it depends on what you consider 'high class', though..... most here do not require it that I have been to (although that's just my experience, I suppose, but probably worth more than someone with none here...:D)

Wonder what the boss thinks. No jeans in my office of professional engineers and architects. Well, since I'm considered to be living in Mayberry by a previous poster, since jeans are at the bottom of the clothes tree, how do you dress down from there? Jeans for painting, mowing, and ... a sit down dinner, weddings, funerals.

Boss has been known to wear jeans too. I've even seen the CEO come in with jeans on. So, I'm not all that concerned with what they think on the situation.

pcl - not sure which remark you are referring to. The nasty remark at Texas was to me personally, which I'm actually taking as a high compliment since how can a native Texan possibly be insulted by that? :D If it's my remark about Voyager, I didn't mean it in a negative way at all. We love our Texas cruises. But compared to cruising out of LA, FLL, San Juan etc, it is noticeable that there are more people wearing jeans. And boots. And cowboy hats. ;)

It's merely a general comment to the people who don't approve of jeans that you will see a vast difference in the percentage of jeans wearers on a Texas cruise. Best to be prepared. :) Of course, it's also been remarked upon on this board and ONboard how friendly the passenger base is on Texas based cruises. We like to think of it as Texas hospitality.

Although I'm still confused by people ranting against jeans. They are NOT forbidden by the cruise line. The daily compass used to say "no jeans or shorts in the MDR at night." It no longer says jeans. It only says shorts. Now of course you have to rely on common sense for how casual those jeans should be but as numerous people have said, myself included, there are a lot worse things than a pair of jeans.

No - you have to add jeans/no shorts with jeans and shorts okay because both categories say 'jeans ok'. So the tally is:

Jeans ok: 431

jeans not okay: 382

:)

And actually, with all of the numbers this is the stats:

# of people that feel Jeans are ok: 432

# of people that feel Shorts are ok: 121

# of people that feel Jeans are not ok: 392

# of people that feel Shorts are not ok: 703

397 FOR no Jeans if you add both polls that say no Jeans.:D

I can't help but notice that the anti-jeans people can not make their points without insults. Personally, I'd rather cruise with a ship full of people wearing jeans than a ship full of miserable people who judge me based on my clothes.

The irony of this post is that you couldn't make your point without being insulting.

Of course, there has been plenty of condescending posts from people on both sides of the issue so it’s not even a valid point.

Wanna make a bet the people who think it okay to wear jeans are a lot younger than those who think it inappropriate? ;)

Umm...I'm 28 and voted that neither was okay. Does that make me old?

As a matter of fact, on my first cruise (at age 21) I ate in the WJ on casual nights because I felt I hadn't packed appropriate attire to eat in the MDR. (I did remember my evening gown for formal night, thank goodness, or I would have missed out on the MDR completely!)

I think smart tailored shorts are fine paired with a nice collared t-shirt nothing wrong with that. Shorts that someone would wear to the pool or for working out - not okay.

I agree with this totally. Mostly Shorts for Men... Nice shorts and a polo can look very nice.

I think Jeans can be dressed up more on a women than on men. Maybe Dark Jeans with a formal top and heels.

I think the nice shorts on men look better than the jeans on women though.

Personally if jeans and shorts were the worst I had seen then I would be happy.

I am not nit picky but I did see a girl with a bathingsuit on under a tiny tank top and a mini jean skirt!:eek:

I really don't care too much. It just makes people watching more fun! ;)

The irony of this post is that you couldn't make your point without being insulting.

Of course, there has been plenty of condescending posts from people on both sides of the issue so it’s not even a valid point.

Exactly! The pro-jeans group likes to brag about their tolerance and easy-going manner, yet in many of their posts they casually throw in insults like "miserable", or "old fogeys" as if somehow those terms are not insulting coming from someone pretending to be funny or tolerant. I've seen as many insulting and condescending posts on this thread from those supporting jeans as I've seen from those against them. Neither side on this thread can rightly claim the high moral ground.

I reread it too, don't know what was insulting. I know I wouldn't want to cruise with miserable people.

You and the rest of the pro-jeans bunch calling those that disagree with you "miserable" is no different than the anti-jean crowd referring to you and your side as "sloppy" or "classless". Each side is making character assumptions about the other one and most likely neither is 100% accurate in their characterizations. There are many miserable jean-wearing people in this world and I'm sure there are many sloppy individuals who don't wear jeans. The appropriateness of jeans in the MDR is definitely one of those issues where all cruise lovers have to agree to disagree if we're to happily coexist aboard the same ships.

You and the rest of the pro-jeans bunch calling those that disagree with you "miserable" is no different than the anti-jean crowd referring to you and your side as "sloppy" or "classless". Each side is making character assumptions about the other one and most likely neither is 100% accurate in their characterizations. There are many miserable jean-wearing people in this world and I'm sure there are many sloppy individuals who don't wear jeans. The appropriateness of jeans in the MDR is definitely one of those issues where all cruise lovers have to agree to disagree if we're to happily coexist aboard the same ships.

Brilliant post as usual. I am not pro-jean, as I stated earlier I only own one pair of jeans. I am pro I don't care what you wear and I don't understand why you care what I wear.

You and the rest of the pro-jeans bunch calling those that disagree with you "miserable" is no different than the anti-jean crowd referring to you and your side as "sloppy" or "classless".

For the record, I am not pro-jeans. I do not wear them on cruises. I just don't care when other people wear them.

"Miserable" was referring to those who judge others based on their clothing.....calling them McDonald's workers, or lawn cutters. I think you and a couple others read it in the wrong context.

Brilliant post as usual. I am not pro-jean, as I stated earlier I only own one pair of jeans. I am pro I don't care what you wear and I don't understand why you care what I wear.

You sound like a really happy person! I guess the term miserable can be used to describe others besides just the anti-jeans posters.:rolleyes:

You sound like a really happy person! I guess the term miserable can be used to describe others besides just the anti-jeans posters.:rolleyes:

I am probably the happiest person you never met. Right now my mother in law is dying of cancer, my sister in law dropped dead of a stroke at age 50 Friday night, I ran a marathon this weekend and am so sore I can hardly walk and I am still smiling because God let me rise this morning. I love life and living and think everyone one should let everyone else be who they are without judging them.

I am probably the happiest person you never met. Right now my mother in law is dying of cancer, my sister in law dropped dead of a stroke at age 50 Friday night, I ran a marathon this weekend and am so sore I can hardly walk and I am still smiling because God let me rise this morning. I love life and living and think everyone one should let everyone else be who they are without judging them.

Sorry to hear about the difficult times you're experiencing right now. That only makes your repeated references to other posters on this thread as "miserable" even more puzzling. You don't know what is going on in their lives at this time, and it sure sounds like you're judging them based on their opinion. Tolerance and being non-judgmental works both ways.

Sorry to hear about the difficult times you're experiencing right now. That only makes your repeated references to other posters on this thread as "miserable" even more puzzling. You don't know what is going on in their lives at this time, and it sure sounds like you're judging them based on their opinion. Tolerance and being non-judgmental works both ways.

Thanks for the well wishes. God only gives you what you can handle, with the sorrows come some joys, my daughter got engaged Thursday night so we are in the process of planning a wedding . I'm not sure I described anyone as miserable other than to say "I wouldn't want to cruise with miserable people" and I wouldn't.

They must see something we don't....and I wrote it! :confused:

Hi Cruzaholic,

I’m sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you. That was not my intent. I was just using your post to make a general observation, imho of course.

I took your statement that “I'd rather cruise with a ship full of people wearing jeans than a ship full of miserable people who judge me based on my clothes” to mean anti-jean people must be miserable. I don’t think that is entirely accurate.

If I read too much into your post, I apologize.

For the record, I don’t want to cruise with miserable people either whether they are in gowns & tuxes or jeans & shorts.

Hi Cruzaholic,

I’m sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you. That was not my intent. I was just using your post to make a general observation, imho of course.

I took your statement that “I'd rather cruise with a ship full of people wearing jeans than a ship full of miserable people who judge me based on my clothes” to mean anti-jean people must be miserable. I don’t think that is entirely accurate.

If I read too much into your post, I apologize.

For the record, I don’t want to cruise with miserable people either whether they are in gowns & tuxes or jeans & shorts.

Agreement is a great thing. And I agree with you.

For the record, I am not pro-jeans. I do not wear them on cruises. I just don't care when other people wear them.

"Miserable" was referring to those who judge others based on their clothing.....calling them McDonald's workers, or lawn cutters. I think you and a couple others read it in the wrong context.

Got'cha.

I guess I read your post in the wrong context.

Archived