Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

I don't know what the point of this poll is anyway. It's simple. There are two groups of cruisers: those that wear what they want and those that wear what the guidelines suggest. Neither group is going to be influenced by the outcome of this poll. RCCL isn't going to influenced by the outcome of this poll.

I'm in the group that wears what the guidelines suggest. RCCL has a preference relative to what their passengers should wear for dinner. They aren't just filling in space on their website or Compass. Whether they enforce it or not, it is still their preference. Just like some cruisers have their own preferences for what they want to wear.

So, the bottom line is that one group cares about what RCCL prefers and the other doesn't.

Peter

I'm sorry you feel the need to so tightly confine yourself in a descriptive box. I guess I'm just more of a free thinking individual. ;) If something is expressly not allowed, that's fine with me - no shorts, tank tops or bathing suits is all that's in rule form at RCCL. However, I am not so feeble minded that i will only fill my suitcase with the exact articles of clothing that are suggested on the website.:rolleyes:

I've never understood the capris trend. don't like the style, would never wear em, seem like highwaters or old navy uniform pants. Not for me!

Halleluejah! Finally someone who sees capris the way I do. Capriis are a plague and are the worst fashion idea ever thought of. I have yet to see ANYONE who looks good in them. My wife included.

But she doesn't listen, she still wears them.

Acyally they 'might' be suitable for gardening I suppose. As long as its out in the 'back 40' where no one will see you.:D

Halleluejah! Finally someone who sees capris the way I do. Capriis are a plague and are the worst fashion idea ever thought of. I have yet to see ANYONE who looks good in them. My wife included.

Acyally they 'might' be suitable for gardening I suppose. As long as its out in the 'back 40' where no one will see you.:D

LOL! Whoa horrorfan! That's a pretty passionate Capri's view you've got there!

I love the 'back 40'! lol:p

Oh I don't know. Today my company is having an employee apprecaition carnival day for United Way and we were allowed to wear shorts. There was a guy outside wearing capris and I thought they looked real nice. :)

Getting back on topic., if anyone wants my opinion, here it is.

I wear a tux on fromal nights. Well, one cruise I just wore a black suit, which is close enough I guess

Other nights, cockers (or someting similar) and a button shirt or sometimes a polo.

I wouldn't even consider shorts in the MDR. And to be honest I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE wear shorts in the MDR. Would I care. I would probably think it a little odd, but I wouldn't likely have a seizure or go into hysterics or an anxiety attack or anything.

I've never worn jeans in the dining room either, and wouldn't be likely to, but only because I don't wear the spiffy designer type stuff. Give me a comfortable pair of Levis anyday. :)

Oh I don't know. Today my company is having an employee apprecaition carnival day for United Way and we were allowed to wear shorts. There was a guy outside wearing capris and I thought they looked real nice. :)

Oh man. Bad choice for a female. On a man????? That just isn't right. :eek::eek::eek:

But in practical terms & more to this poll, religion should be off topic - since bloodshed are fought over that type of stuff over the centuries. :cool:

We should limit it to the context of this institution & I would suspect that any1 wanting to attend the MDR with all its fine dining accoutrement should be respectful of all that it represent esp. since they CAN afford to cruise in the first place :)

& 1 of the ways over the centuries that we respect our host & their institution is to dress in certain classic norms.

Oh yes, I agree with you. As I said, the post I was quoted in was in direct response to going to church. Which I hate talking about but am thrilled it stayed civil!!

I agree that you should dress neat and clean and nicely in the MDR. There is a difference between that and the WJ, for sure. However, I guess the problem is the 'classic norms' part! lol:p If they are going to declare "Casual" nights in the MDR (I believe they have gotten rid of elegant casual, or whatever it was called) then they obviously realize that for the three different age segments that really are cruising a lot right now they will have some different ideas of casual that still fit in their suggestions for dress code. And they obviously are okay with those represented outfits because I've called, emailed and waited in line to ask about jeans and was told of course, every single time....:)

LMAO. Can't stand someone with a difference of opinon? Is that how things are done in Virigina along with NFL QB's that run illegal dog fighting kennels? A great state that you have there.:D Something to be proud of.

??????? Somehow an ENTIRE STATE is at fault because a football player did something wrong???????

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women - Quoted from RCL's website.

Jeans are not mentioned - so no jeans.

I don't know what the point of this poll is anyway. It's simple. There are two groups of cruisers: those that wear what they want and those that wear what the guidelines suggest. Neither group is going to be influenced by the outcome of this poll. RCCL isn't going to influenced by the outcome of this poll.

I'm in the group that wears what the guidelines suggest. RCCL has a preference relative to what their passengers should wear for dinner. They aren't just filling in space on their website or Compass. Whether they enforce it or not, it is still their preference. Just like some cruisers have their own preferences for what they want to wear.

So, the bottom line is that one group cares about what RCCL prefers and the other doesn't.

While I agree that there are two groups of cruisers that have emerged from this poll, I have to disagree on how you define them. I would define them as those who believe jeans are appropriate in the MDR and those who think that RCCL doesn't want jeans in the MDR. The poll had nothing to do with RCCL's suggested guidelines, but with what is appropriate. RCCL has no issue with jeans in the MDR and never has. Whether or not they are appropriate is always a very debatable subject and I'm surprised that it is such a close vote. Vote your feelings, but please don't tell me that RCCL cares about it or prefers that jeans are not worn in the MDR. I have cruised with RCCL 34 times, I wore jeans on my first cruise in 1980 and I wore jeans on my most recent cruise earlier this year. I also wore jeans on every cruise in between and I never once felt out of place or that I was uncaring about RCCL's guidelines.

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women - Quoted from RCL's website.

So using the same misguided logic, evening gowns, military uniform, national dress are also not mentioned - so no evening gowns, military uniform, national dress. :rolleyes:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women - Quoted from RCL's website.

You're joking, right? Skirts are not mentioned either, so I guess no skirts? Also, It doesn't say shirts for women, either, so I guess no shirts?

It doesn't say formal dresses for women - so I guess no floor length dresses or pant suits?

That is just silly. They mention about 6 articles of clothing. Are you telling me that you advocate women going shirtless on casual and smart casual night, not wearing any skirts, only dresses, and no pantsuits on formal night or long dresses on formal nights?:rolleyes:

We are talking about people who can afford to go on a cruise.... and should be able to afford to buy the proper clothing, as set forth in the dress code.

So then jeans are acceptable in the MDR on casual night because Royal Caribbean says they are acceptable. So anyone wearing jeans on casual night IS abiding by the dress code and rules as set out by Royal Caribbean.

They may not SPECIFICALLY state this on their website, but when asked, the representatives from Royal Caribbean always say that yes, jeans are acceptable attire on casual nights. If Royal Caribbean wanted to prevent jeans fom being worn in the MDR on casual nights they would SPECIFICALLY state that in their "suggested" MDR attire section on their website. But they do not.

Just as when one inquires about the dress code in Chops Grille one is told that jeans are acceptable but that shorts are SPECIFICALLY prohibited on either male or female customers. I have witnessed someone being told to leave Chops because he was wearing shorts. (I thought it was unecessary as he looked perfectly fine and there were very few people in the restaurant at the time, 6pm), but they did enforce their rule.

And as to affordability, I have 3 daughters who have a taste for expensive trendy jeans, as have I. Many of my jeans cost much more than a dress would cost. So cost really has no bearing on what is or isn't acceptable.

My thinking is that this is generational to a large degree. Women in the "younger" generation have grown up in a time when nice, fashionable jeans with a dressy top and heels is as de rigueur as the "Little Black Dress" was a generation ago, even in expensive restaurants with white tablecloths. Some people don't understand this because they didn't experience this type of fashion in their lives.

But believe me, Royal Caribbean does not want to chase away the under forty set, so jeans won't be leaving the acceptability list for casual night in the MDR anytime soon.

JMO,

Colleen

Well they say men can wear "slacks" and women can wear "pants". Jeans are certainly "pants" but I am not sure if they are considered "slacks". So I guess it is ok for women to wear jeans, but it is a little unclear about men.

One thing for certain though, men cannot wear "pants" because they don't mention pants for men, but men can wear "shirts" because they are specifically mentioned. But women cannot wear "shirts" because they are not mentioned, but they can wear "pants" because they are specifically mentioned.

So according to your way of thinking, if one walked into the MDR on a casual night and saw a lot of men wearing shirts but no pants and a lot of women wearing pants but no shirts, that would be acceptable?

Just wondering,

Colleen

Um, no that isn't what we were talking about. The quote you pasted of mine was in reference to those attending church services. For my take on the jeans/shorts on casual night in the MDR please feel free to see the very first post in this thread on page 1!:)

But in your response to OV8 it was you who linked the two institutions by using the phrase "the problem with thinking like that." It was a bad analogy because those less fortunate souls "that need prayer the most" have nothing in common with the capricious immature cruisers that ignore the cruise line's dress code because it's "their vacation", not because they can't afford a pair of pants.

So using the same misguided logic, evening gowns, military uniform, national dress are also not mentioned - so no evening gowns, military uniform, national dress. :rolleyes:

These are all appropriate for formal night. The quote was a suggestion and all of these fall within that guideline.

You're joking, right? Skirts are not mentioned either, so I guess no skirts? Also, It doesn't say shirts for women, either, so I guess no shirts?

It doesn't say formal dresses for women - so I guess no floor length dresses or pant suits?

That is just silly. They mention about 6 articles of clothing. Are you telling me that you advocate women going shirtless on casual and smart casual night, not wearing any skirts, only dresses, and no pantsuits on formal night or long dresses on formal nights?:rolleyes:

You're taking it way out of context. Every piece of clothing for men and women should not have to be listed to know what they require as appropriate for casual, smart causal, and formal. The concern was jeans and shorts. Those aren't suggested attire and anything along those lines are inappropriate. I would think that a man going to dinner would wear a shirt with pants and a woman would wear a skirt with a top on casual and smart casual night. If it's a cocktail suit or a long formal skirt or formal pants suit for formal night, then that's appropriate. (with a top with the skirt and pants).

Well they say men can wear "slacks" and women can wear "pants". Jeans are certainly "pants" but I am not sure if they are considered "slacks". So I guess it is ok for women to wear jeans, but it is a little unclear about men.

One thing for certain though, men cannot wear "pants" because they don't mention pants for men, but men can wear "shirts" because they are specifically mentioned. But women cannot wear "shirts" because they are not mentioned, but they can wear "pants" because they are specifically mentioned.

So according to your way of thinking, if one walked into the MDR on a casual night and saw a lot of men wearing shirts but no pants and a lot of women wearing pants but no shirts, that would be acceptable?

Just wondering,

Colleen

My way of thinking is that they would have sense enough to wear a top and bottom that are appropriate for dinner whether it is casual, smart casual, or formal.

You're taking it way out of context. Every piece of clothing for men and women should not have to be listed to know what they require as appropriate for casual, smart causal, and formal. The concern was jeans and shorts. Those aren't suggested attire and anything along those lines are inappropriate. I would think that a man going to dinner would wear a shirt with pants and a woman would wear a skirt with a top on casual and smart casual night. If it's a cocktail suit or a long formal skirt or formal pants suit for formal night, then that's appropriate. (with a top with the skirt and pants).

Aren't jeans just pants made out of denim? That's what the dictionary says.

Archived