Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

:cool:We all can read what RCCL requests, but they hope that everyone will abide by this. Then when CUSTOMERS (i.e.$$$$) don't, they have no desire apparently for ruffle feathers. Since RCCL appears weak, people take advantage of them (see world affairs). Even if we don't respect RCCL because of their stand (or lack thereof), we should abide out of respect for others.:cool:

People are taking advantage of a company capable of sailing some of he most amazing ships, making possible to do at sea, things that were only possible on land. Really must be some very powerful people. RCCL needs to hire them to take them yet to another level. Why waste such valubale resource? It would take more than clothes to create disrespect for most people I know. Honestly most are not cruisers and would never be if they read some of the posts on these boards. Many enjoy the same establishments I do which fall short of the grade for some on this board;)

:cool:We all can read what RCCL requests, but they hope that everyone will abide by this. Then when CUSTOMERS (i.e.$$$$) don't, they have no desire apparently for ruffle feathers. Since RCCL appears weak, people take advantage of them (see world affairs). Even if we don't respect RCCL because of their stand (or lack thereof), we should abide out of respect for others.:cool:

Again, just me, but I have NEVER considered what someone else has worn as being disrespectful to me.

Halleluejah! Finally someone who sees capris the way I do. Capriis are a plague and are the worst fashion idea ever thought of. I have yet to see ANYONE who looks good in them. My wife included.

But she doesn't listen, she still wears them.

Acyally they 'might' be suitable for gardening I suppose. As long as its out in the 'back 40' where no one will see you.:D

Thank you - I was worried I would get blasted. I'm also glad I'm not the only one.

...And as to affordability, I have 3 daughters who have a taste for expensive trendy jeans, as have I. Many of my jeans cost much more than a dress would cost. So cost really has no bearing on what is or isn't acceptable.

My thinking is that this is generational to a large degree. Women in the "younger" generation have grown up in a time when nice, fashionable jeans with a dressy top and heels is as de rigueur as the "Little Black Dress" was a generation ago, even in expensive restaurants with white tablecloths. Some people don't understand this because they didn't experience this type of fashion in their lives.

But believe me, Royal Caribbean does not want to chase away the under forty set, so jeans won't be leaving the acceptability list for casual night in the MDR anytime soon.

JMO,

Colleen

Excellent points!

I have gone to the main dining room in jeans and I have gone to Chops in long, dressy shorts with a sleeveless top and a jacket.

If I am breaking any rules no one has ever mentioned it to me. I believe that RCI staff shies away from enforcing a 'guideline' with paying customers.

I think that mature adults shouldn't need to have a dress code. They would KNOW that there is no such thing as "dressy shorts" or "dressy jeans".

I don't think someone should have to say anything about dress to anyone over the age of about 12 or 13.

I think that mature adults shouldn't need to have a dress code. They would KNOW that there is no such thing as "dressy shorts" or "dressy jeans".

I don't think someone should have to say anything about dress to anyone over the age of about 12 or 13.

Mature adults with a minimal amount of fashion sense know that there is in fact such a thing as "dressy jeans".

Thank you - I was worried I would get blasted. I'm also glad I'm not the only one.

You are most definitely not the only one.

Many of us know what is appropriate to wear for different occasions....we don't need a dress code giving us orders or permission. It's called commons sense...usually taught at our parents knees.

Unfortunately, some parenting has been lacking in certain areas... Mostly in the area where children are left to their own devises and feel entitled to ignore any rules or guidelines they disagree with.

I've actually seen knuckledragging mouthbreathers wear baseball caps in the MDR....or show up in those draggy-butt cargo shorts with pockets hanging all over and their underwear on display....

Ever since the Clampetts struck oil, cruising has headed south in the decorum department.

Excellent points!

Good point...but just another excuse. "Society" isn't suppose to be the teacher here...parents are. The kid will do what the parent insists. If nobody sets limits for children, they will have none as they get older.

And, there is nothing that replaces "the little black dress"....certainly not jeans - no matter what they cost.

Denim started out as a tent material in the mid 1850's in the gold fields of California. Brought here by Levi Strauss, from Denim France, it was a material he though would replace the canvas used as tenting material during the gold rush. By the time he arrived, tents were being replaced by wood framed huts. Being a clever guy, he turned his material into pants for the miners....sturdy britches with brass brads that lasted a long time.

They are still "sturdy britches"..appropriate for the ballfield, the backyard, the mall, McDonalds, school and other like activities. Just because somebody slaps a label on them doesn't mean they are anything other than sturdy britches....and anyone who pays more than 25 bucks for a pair has been sold a bill-of-goods. Anyone who truly believes that "price paid" makes it appropriate "dressy" wear is kidding themselves.

Like pasta is just noodles, Jeans are just britches.

Very true, but unfortunately common sense, respect, and responsibility seem to be sorely lacking nowadays among many adults, so it's no surprise they fail to pass along those character traits to their children.

You are most definitely not the only one.

Many of us know what is appropriate to wear for different occasions....we don't need a dress code giving us orders or permission. It's called commons sense...usually taught at our parents knees.

Unfortunately' date=' some parenting has been lacking in certain areas... Mostly in the area where children are left to their own devises and feel entitled to ignore any rules or guidelines they disagree with.

I've actually seen knuckledragging mouthbreathers wear baseball caps in the MDR....or show up in those draggy-butt cargo shorts with pockets hanging all over and their underwear on display....

Ever since the Clampetts struck oil, cruising has headed south in the decorum department.[/quote']

I think mature adults shouldn't try to tell other mature adults what is right to wear. And my knuckles do not actually reach the floor. Was it my Reds, Pirates or Indians hat that most offended you? :)

And that is how the "non-conformists" always reacts. They look for a word that is (or) isn't there, and twist the intent of policy to make an excuse as to why the policy does not apply to themselves.

Non-Conformist? Because I stated a fact? I never even said if I would wear jeans in the MDR or not. I was only stating that Royal Caribbean ALLOWS jeans to be worn in the MDR on casual nights at present. Whether that changes or not remains to be seen. I would guess not, as they are going after New cruisers who tend to be younger and many are looking for a more casual holiday. They may dress to the nines on Formal night but want to relax the rest of the time. For the younger generation, dressy jeans ARE appropriate for the MDR on casual nights.

This is generational to a large extent and the younger generation are not going to give way to the older generation, that isn't how it works. You may not like that, but again, what you or I LIKE, is neither here nor there.

Colleen

Mature adults with a minimal amount of fashion sense know that there is in fact such a thing as "dressy jeans".

Ahhh.....thank you, Puffinater. I always like your posts because they are straightforward. I shudder to think of what some people are actually wearing in their lives when they say something so silly and outdated as 'there can't possibly be nice jeans' or 'there are no dressy shorts'. Ugh...all I can picture is a shapless cardigan with a dickie under it and a long wool skirt with loafers or something, fist high in the air with self-admiration, proclaiming 'see...this - THIS is an outfit worthy of dinner! This is fine dining wear'! :p:D

3953784230_c9ca8ccb07.jpg

Ahhh.....thank you, Puffinater. I always like your posts because they are straightforward. I shudder to think of what some people are actually wearing in their lives when they say something so silly and outdated as 'there can't possibly be nice jeans' or 'there are no dressy shorts'. Ugh...all I can picture is a shapless cardigan with a dickie under it and a long wool skirt with loafers or something, fist high in the air with self-admiration, proclaiming 'see...this - THIS is an outfit worthy of dinner! This is fine dining wear'! :p:D

3953784230_c9ca8ccb07.jpg

The envy of her friends and relatives for certain.

They probably think she is way overdressed.

I voted jeans are ok, shorts are not...because jeans today are very nice and I am referring to nice ones...different colors etc...I wear capris all the time in the dining room usually with a really nice top and that is fine...it all depends on the style and look...look nice for dinner!

Good point...but just another excuse. "Society" isn't suppose to be the teacher here...parents are. The kid will do what the parent insists. If nobody sets limits for children' date=' they will have none as they get older.

And, there is nothing that replaces "the little black dress"....certainly not jeans - no matter what they cost.

Denim started out as a tent material in the mid 1850's in the gold fields of California. Brought here by Levi Strauss, from Denim France, it was a material he though would replace the canvas used as tenting material during the gold rush. By the time he arrived, tents were being replaced by wood framed huts. Being a clever guy, he turned his material into pants for the miners....sturdy britches with brass brads that lasted a long time.

They are still "sturdy britches"..appropriate for the ballfield, the backyard, the mall, McDonalds, school and other like activities. Just because somebody slaps a label on them doesn't mean they are anything other than sturdy britches....and anyone who pays more than 25 bucks for a pair has been sold a bill-of-goods. Anyone who truly believes that "price paid" makes it appropriate "dressy" wear is kidding themselves.

Like pasta is just noodles, Jeans are just britches.[/quote']

Was this written in 1958? Talk about being out of touch! Geesh!

How many pages can a thread be!!

I always have a need to occasionally weigh in.

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but I would agree that true dressy jeans should be acceptable on casual nights. But, of course, the problem is how would you write that into policy. "Dressy jeans are acceptable wear in the dining room on casual nights"?????? Doesn't really define it. If you were to ask many twenty year olds what the latest and greatest fashion was in jeans, some might tell you the more ripped and holey the more fashionable. They probably cost $150 as well. In my opinion, these would not be dressy. But in their minds, there is no doubt they are dressy. So you now include those for women?? Then the men start thinking that the jumbo size jeans (gangsta) worn half way down your hips with a biker wallet in the back pocket is surely fashionable and therefore dressy. ButI wouldn't classify them as dressy.

And a final thought on those that think shorts are "acceptable" in the MDR. When there's a sign posted outside the dining room saying "no shorts", ignoring that is no different than lighting up a cigarette in the MDR. It's clearly a "no smoking" area. People should no more think about wearing shorts in the dining room than smoking. It really doesn't matter that one is a health issue and the other isn't; it's about intentionally breaking the rules.

Peter

Yes, it is 2009.

If we posted that girls should wear skirts that reach barely below their navals, sans underwear, kids today would probably understand that dress code immediately.:)

Or pants must be worn hanging a foot below the waistline and your boxer shorts are showing.

There are probably kids out there who still "get it" even though it is 2009.;)

Yes, it is 2009.

If we posted that girls should wear skirts that reach barely below their navals, sans underwear, kids today would probably understand that dress code immediately.:)

Or pants must be worn hanging a foot below the waistline and your boxer shorts are showing.

There are probably kids out there who still "get it" even though it is 2009.;)

You mean wearing pants a foot low so that the Boxers show is out of style??:confused::eek:

No wonder some snicker when my red boxer briefs

show:(

:cj

Archived