New Diamond event questions?

B&C-Cruisers

I was on Monarch Sept 7-11. As D+, this was the first time I had any special treatment on a Sovereign-class ship. The offerings were pretty much as described above, but were certainly new to that class.

The Continental breakfast was in a section of the Viking Crown lounge and was the same as CL menus on other ships, except no cappuccino, etc., and no toaster. I typically have breakfast in the MDR and then go to the CL for another cup of coffee and some comraderie later in the morning. When I did that on Monarch, there were seemingly low-level "uniforms" there, but nobody that I recognized - people thought perhaps the bar manager, but it wasn't important enough to follow up.

The evening event, also in the Viking Crown, was always hosted - usually by the Loyalty Ambassador, once by a GR staffer. The wine flowed freely and the only snack was the trail-mix type already mentioned.

Because this feature was an addition, there was no grumbling. As a matter of fact, there were Diamond members telling us D+ folks that they were anxious to get to D+. There was some mention of the lack of beer and sodas, but that was merely part of the conversation, not really gripes. The biggest compaint I heard was the desire for more substantial snacks.

I missed the cappuccino machine, especially in the afternoon. No matter what, the offerings represented a place to escape from the crowds at times.

YMMV.

We will avoid the Diamond Lounge for awhile. Until all the angry folks have moved on to another cruise line. Last thing we want to do is share a drink with angry folks!

I wouldn't automatically assume that the people you meet and share a drink with at the Diamond Event will be "angry folks" as you put it. We had no such reports on our September transatlantic cruise and I think that by the time most people board they have resigned themselves to the changes that have happened and are more interested in having a good cruise than grumbling and making themselves and those around them miserable. There will always be some who will complain but they were doing that before the changes and will be doing so afterwards. You just have to learn to avoid them, but in avoiding them I wouldn't suggest you not visit the Diamond Lounge. :rolleyes:

With all of the discussion on CC about changes in the loyality program and the constant statement from many posters that they are "moving on" to other cruise lines, I have yet to see an analysis of the cutbacks by other cruise lines. I just finished an 18 day cruise on Crown Princess and other than some free internet their "Elite" members didn't appear to be receiving much in the way of perks. I would like to hear from those who have moved to other cruise lines about the great perks they are receiving (beyond the recent changes at Celebrity).

negc, I was on the same TA as you and also did not hear any serious grumbling. I personally actually thought the setup was quite nice, with the views and spaciousness (needed, as I heard there were over 300 Diamonds onboard). And although I did not spend time in the Vortex every night, the few times I was there, I saw plenty of officers, GR and a bonus loyalty ambassador mingling with people.

We were on the same cruise and were on B2B. We were in the CL for the first cruise before the change date. It was very difficult to get a chair to sit in the CL. There were so many using the small room.

We were happier though when we had the Vortex Lounge, it had lots of room and a great view. We were there most nights and everyone seemed very pleased with the room. Yes, they did have Officers circulating and a Miami based Customer Service person mingling to chat with the passengers.

We will avoid the Diamond Lounge for awhile. Until all the angry folks have moved on to another cruise line. Last thing we want to do is share a drink with angry folks!

The Diamond Lounge was very pleasant on the Liberty in July. I never heard any complaints. But certainly it is your choice to avoid it, hope that makes you happy.

Happy Cruising,

Colleen

Archived