Your favorite martini at Crooners

lovevacadays

Well, nothing beats the classics: Bombay Sapphire (or Tanqueray in a pinch!) & the barest whisper of vermouth, with a twist.

However, on my last cruise, I really enjoyed the London Lemonade or something like that. Sorry I can't recall the exact name, but it's made with Tanqueray and something lemony (duh!). Very nicely tart, not sweet at all -- I don't care much for sweet drinks.

Well, nothing beats the classics: Bombay Sapphire (or Tanqueray in a pinch!) & the barest whisper of vermouth, with a twist.

However, on my last cruise, I really enjoyed the London Lemonade or something like that. Sorry I can't recall the exact name, but it's made with Tanqueray and something lemony (duh!). Very nicely tart, not sweet at all -- I don't care much for sweet drinks.

Could it be you're thinking of the Lemon Drop Martini?

Could it be you're thinking of the Lemon Drop Martini?

There's two lemon ones, or there used to be---one sweet, with vodka and a sugar lined rim, and another that is much tarter, made with gin. If I remember right (but I might not), Princess calls them the lemon meringue martini (the sweet one, like a lemon drop anywhere else), and the London Lemonade.

CL - do you remember what was in the Black Star Liner?

I do love Tanquery Gin on the rocks but hadn't had one in quite awhile. Thanks for the reminder.

We had the bartender on the Golden (Hi Ricky!) give us the recipe:

1 oz Stoli Vodka

1/2 oz Creme de Cacao Dark

1/2 oz Cold Espresso

1 oz Heavy Cream

Dash of chocolate syrup

Definitely no a low calorie drink . . . :)

LOL, I have already told you this, but you MUST try the Toasted Almond Martini! Oh its so good! And my mother says you absolutely have to try the Watermelon Martini, my mother does not "drink," and had MANY of them on our last cruise, we all were freezing with sweatshirts on, and she just kept talking about how hot is was :eek: hmm... wonder why...:rolleyes:

rdsqrl,

I couldn't agree more... Bombay Sapphire Gin with a brief glance at the bottle of vermouth.

The classics endure! All those sweet drinks die off after time!

Cruise on! - Demented :cool:

rdsqrl,

I couldn't agree more... Bombay Sapphire Gin with a brief glance at the bottle of vermouth.

The classics endure! All those sweet drinks die off after time!

Cruise on! - Demented :cool:

Yes!! Yes!! As long as the glance is towards Martini and Rossi....plus lots of olives.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm noticing my posts are all about food and alcohol. LOL. I wonder if that is an indication that I will be spending lots of time in bars and restaurants!?!

I'm typically a Ketel One Vodka and three olive martini girl but do like to try new things when on vacation. On the Sapphire Princess I tried the Very Berry which was really good and not too terribly sweet and the Margaritatini which, obviously, is made with tequila in a martini glass so I guess not a legitimate martini. It was really good as well - didn't have the margarita mix flavor as I think they used lime juice only with it.:D

Thanks for all the replies. I'm noticing my posts are all about food and alcohol. LOL. I wonder if that is an indication that I will be spending lots of time in bars and restaurants!?!

I'm typically a Ketel One Vodka and three olive martini girl but do like to try new things when on vacation. On the Sapphire Princess I tried the Very Berry which was really good and not too terribly sweet and the Margaritatini which, obviously, is made with tequila in a martini glass so I guess not a legitimate martini. It was really good as well - didn't have the margarita mix flavor as I think they used lime juice only with it.:D

Forgot all about the Margaritini - loved that!

CL-JW I loved the margaritatini too but have not had anyone since then been able to make it like it tastes on the Ship. I've tried a few places and they have given me something that just tastes like lime juice and very tart. I guess I'm going to have to ask the bartender on the Crown how it is made.

There's two lemon ones, or there used to be---one sweet, with vodka and a sugar lined rim, and another that is much tarter, made with gin. If I remember right (but I might not), Princess calls them the lemon meringue martini (the sweet one, like a lemon drop anywhere else), and the London Lemonade.

Thank you, yes, I'm nearly 100% positive it had London in the name and was definitely not a copy of the ubiquitous lemon drop martini.

. . . the Margaritatini which, obviously, is made with tequila in a martini glass so I guess not a legitimate martini. It was really good as well - didn't have the margarita mix flavor as I think they used lime juice only with it.:D

That sounds interesting, like a gimlet but replacing the gin (or vodka) with tequila. A gimlet is just gin, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup (lazy bartenders use Rose's Lime Juice, but I don't order it anywhere that isn't going to use fresh-squeezed lime). It's probably my go-to summertime drink, right up there with gin-and-tonic (although lacking the G&T's anti-malarial benefits, which imparts a certain virtue to imbibing that is lacking in other cocktails).

Archived