First time cruiser

hunnibee

Hello all.....We are planning a trip on the Exstacy in July 2005. This will be our first time to cruise. Is there any tips, hints or any info that can be given would be greatly appreciated. We are porting at Cozumel, Play de Carma what are the best excursions to go on. I don't know much bout the cruise line but TA said something bout 6A what is this and how good is it. Thanks in advance for info.

:)

Best advice is to read the boards, you will find LOADS of information here. If you have specific questions about your ship, or the cruise, ask them... A 6A is an Oceanview cabin. The cabins are relatively small, but they fit the need!!! Also, go to the Ports of Call section of the message boards and you will find plenty of info on the various ports/excursions, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Best advice is to read the boards, you will find LOADS of information here!

Couldn't have said that better myself!! :) You are only new prior to posting, so you've made the first step into learning all kinds of information. Information that I wish I had before my first cruise (or second for that matter). And remember, there is never a 'DUMB' question.. :D

Again, welcome aboard.. !!

First a bit of info. Some people are confused by this. Calica is the port for the town of Playa Del Carmen and it isn't much to look at. It is a rock quarry. In the summer it is hotter than hades and dusty but don't let that bother you. What lies beyond is pretty nice. I've done the Calica Reef Snorkel, the Calica Beach Break and Xcaret. The snorkeling is so-so. (Your opinion of it will depend on how much and where you have snorkeled in the past.) The beach break is relaxing. Xcaret is interesting, and was pleasantly beter developed from much of what I've seen in Mexico.

The town of Playa del Carmen is nice and fairly easy to get around in. A taxi from Calica to Playa is about $10 US. Share it with someone. There are always people getting off the ship. Don't even think about walking. Shopping in Playa is pretty good for local trinkets and the like. IMHO, Cozumel is much better. My DW spends quite a bit more in Cozumel if that is any indication......

There are some good beachfront bars in Playa. Senor Frogs is the best if you want a wild, party atmosphere. Some of the others are more sedate.

In Cozumel I've taken the Catamaran Sail, Snorkel and Beach Break. That is a fun one if you are in to drinking and partying with people. again the snorkeling is only fair. I've also done Passion Island but was really hung over from Senor Frogs the night before.Are you noticing a theme here? The food was good and they have an open bar. Story goes it is the beach where many of the Corona Beer comercials are filmed.

It looks as though Carnival has added several trips since I was last on the cruise. Quite a few of them look interesting. So much of what makes a good excursion depends on what you are looking for so keep that in mind. Some want it mild, some wild.

Shopping is good on Cozumel. Some say stick to the approved stores others say don't. For jewelry purchases ($500 or more) we always do. Everything is negotiable, but be ready to walk away. Chances are you'll see it in another store anyway.

Well that's just a few thoughts and observations of mine. One thing is for certain you'll get lots of opinions and some good facts by hanging around the boards.

Just remember, most opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Good Luck, have fun, and toast a sunset for me!

Archived