Bannister Island

rjkcubs

Does anyone know if the Bannister Island Beach Break is still offered through Carnival? Our group went there last year (mainly due to small children in our group) and had a blast. We were hoping to book again for this year. However, I can't find it available on Carnival's website.

We went to Bannister Island when we did the Reef snorkel and beach break excursion on the Legend (8/30). I just looked at the excursion list I brought home and there is a 'Private Island Beach Break" listed, but it doesn't say what island. From the description it sounds like it could be Bannister, tho.

I was on the Legend 9/6...we ended going to Bannister Island with an outside company.

While relaxing on the lounge chairs, the new manager of Bannister Island came over and asked how we were doing and how we liked the place.

We told her that we were having a great time and really enjoyed the location. I did question her as to why Carnival did not offer the excursion.

She explained that as of 9/1 Carnival put them on a 60 day suspension. She explained that according to Carnival, they were not 100% up to Carnivals stipulations for being an approved shore excursion.

She told us they were in the middle of making all the neccesary changes and repairs and should be back on track with Carnival at the end of October when them come out again to reavaluate their location.

In my honest opinion I did not see any major issues, and we had a blast there and would highly recommend it.

If you want to see pictures click on the links below my signature and judge for yourself.

I was on the Legend 9/6...we ended going to Bannister Island with an outside company.

While relaxing on the lounge chairs, the new manager of Bannister Island came over and asked how we were doing and how we liked the place.

We told her that we were having a great time and really enjoyed the location. I did question her as to why Carnival did not offer the excursion.

She explained that as of 9/1 Carnival put them on a 60 day suspension. She explained that according to Carnival, they were not 100% up to Carnivals stipulations for being an approved shore excursion.

She told us they were in the middle of making all the neccesary changes and repairs and should be back on track with Carnival at the end of October when them come out again to reavaluate their location.

In my honest opinion I did not see any major issues, and we had a blast there and would highly recommend it.

If you want to see pictures click on the links below my signature and judge for yourself.

We're looking to hit Bannister in a couple weeks. Can you please tell me what outside company you went with?

I'm not sure if Carnival is still offering Bannister Island (Private Beach Break) because of the murder on the Island or because people complain about the weather and being stranded on the island when it rains. (It happened to us two years ago, it's sprinkled the whole time and we were freezing and we're from New York so the cold shouldn't bother us that much....Carnival gave us our money back for this excursion.)

The murder happened spring of 2009, and evidently was the manager and money was stolen.

Thanks for all of the reply's. I had heard about the murder and was shocked when I saw it. I assumed they had worked past that. We have been to Bannister before and loved it. I agree that being an island you would think there would be alot of beach space, however, only one side of the island has a stretch of beach. That being said, when we were there it seemed to have plenty of room for everyone. My kids loved it there, and was one of our most enjoyable days in port. I will say that Bannister's beach was much better than anything that was offered the year before in Progresso!

I really don't have anything to compare this to in regards to Carnival excursions because in ten years of cruising this is the only excursion we have done through Carnival. But, I really didn't think it was that bad. Again, thanks everyone for the responses!

I booked with coral breezes. It cost 35.00 pp just to do the beach.

Did you book this when you got off the ship, or in advance. I'm asking because I don't see the beach only excursion on their website. I'd love to just do the beach

The only problem with doing this on your own is that you don't get picked up directly from the ship. If you use Carnival they pick you up and take you directly to Bannister. You use an outside company, and have to catch a tender to the mainland (after all the Carnival excursions have left), then catch another boat over to Bannister, then the same on the way back. It just seems to complicated when it used to be so easy. This is why it is the only excursion we have ever done through Carnival.

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what we have been looking for on the Carnival website. I have contacted Carnival directly several times and they have not answered my questions directly...it's like they were skirting the issue. Would love to see this added back on their "approved" list. But, if not I appreciate the outside company (Coral Breezes) name. Can anyone tell me if they have bar/lunch service on Bannister Island and do you rent chairs when you get there? Also any other info you could give regarding Bannister would be great. Thanks. Oh....we'll be there in January. 86 days to go.

They do have a bar right there on the island. When we went through Carnival, you received a free rum punch with the purchase of the excursion. I seem to remember them having food too, but I am not certain as we didn't eat. There are chairs everywhere and are free to use.

As I said earlier we were with a group of kids and it worked out perfectly for us. The water is shallow enough that the kids can play with no problem. I will say, this spot is not for snorkeling. The area out from the beach is restricted as to how far out you can go. It really is a fairly small area. With all the people in the water, the sand gets stirred up and it never gets deep enough to snorkel. However, we did find a few starfish in the restricted area.

I would recommend this, we had a blast.

Archived