Dive Question for GC

DuluthFireCruiser

When looking at the Princess Grand Dive Excursions, there is a trip listed "for advanced divers only," those with advanced certification or a history of 25 dive trips. Is this enforced? Been on about 16 trips, quite a few to the same depths as this one. Thanks in advance for any info.

If you make your own diving arrangements you don't have to deal with this restriction that may be enforced. I went with Neptunesdivers.com 8 divers max, nice boat, you get to have some input as to what sites you dive, and less expensive than the ship's excursion. I recommend this unless your ship is in port too late to make the morning trip. They might do and afternoon trip is there is enough divers. I'd contact them in any case.

I don't have personal experience with the Princess dive excursions even though I have cruised on the Grand. How are they going to enforce this anyway. I don't think they check your log book, they have to trust you to tell them you have only been on a certain number of dives. Also, you say "16 trips". Does this mean 16 actual dives or 16, 2 tank trips out? I think a dive trip is a boat ride to the dive site, dive, surface interval, dive, then a boat ride back to the dock. That makes it 2 dives and one trip.

No clue if it is actually enforced or not - if so, more likely the ship's insurance that is forcing it - not the tour company. Of course, technically speaking, they only state you must present your C card + some other stuff - doesn't state the other stuff has to be yours!

I went to the Princess site and assume this is what you are looking at?

"

New Waves/North Wall & Rays Certified Scuba For Experienced Divers

We combined two of Grand Cayman’s most legendary and spectacular dive sites into the underwater experience of a lifetime.

Your first dive takes you over the “North Wall.” You soar over a coral wall before descending an average maximum of 80 feet; the wall features crevices and overhangs teeming with hard corals, sponges, and gorgonians. The marine life includes sea turtles, leopard rays, grouper, and snapper. The second dive site, Stingray City, has been called “the best 12-foot dive in the world.”On arrival at Stingray City you’re briefed on the unique history of this dive and given tips on feeding and interacting with the stingrays. This tour is a must for divers interested in underwater photography. Scuba equipment, professional supervision and transportation included.

SPECIAL NOTES

Certified divers must present their openwater certification cards to participate. This advanced dive is not recommended for new or inexperienced divers. Dive sites are subject to change. Divers must present an advanced certification card or a log book indicating at least 25 dives.

"

The price on the website is $99 adult or child. It actually seems like a reasonable price to me, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the replies, I thought $99 sounded reasonable, too. That and the fact we won't have to worry about the ship leaving without us, seemed like the way to go, though normally we would tour with a private company. Guess I'll just bring my dive certification card and have my log book along in case I need it. Maybe they will just have us sign a waiver stating we meet the qualifications....

Also bring a backup plan in case they do check. You still might shop around before you go, but factors to consider include transportation and equipment rentals when comparing similar sounding tours.

Also, tours booked through the ship tend to cancel before tours you book own you own do, when weather is a factor.

Weather can be a factor. The wind is from the north, you probably won't be doing a north wall dive and maybe not even stingray city. Diving on the north side is very weather dependent and they won't know until the day you get there if they will really take you to the north wall or just dive on the west end where there is more protection from the wind. So, the "advanced dive" might turn out to be a "normal" dive after all.

Archived