Can't decide - Stingray Sandbar OR Glass bottom boat???

josask

DH and I have done the Stingray sandbar 10 yrs ago and LOVED it. Would love for our children (aged 7, 9 & 13) to experience it on our upcoming cruise but don't know if it would be good for kids, maybe the glass bottom boat would be better. Any suggestions???

DH and I have done the Stingray sandbar 10 yrs ago and LOVED it. Would love for our children (aged 7, 9 & 13) to experience it on our upcoming cruise but don't know if it would be good for kids, maybe the glass bottom boat would be better. Any suggestions???

I've never been on the glass-bottom boat tour, so no opinion there. Go with your personal feelings and take them on the Stingray tour. It'll be a benchmark life experience for your family. Check out some of the other comments on the stingray tours in the Cayman Islands threads; the vote is overwhelmingly in the positive for them, even from people who were initially afraid to get into the water with them. Seeing them is beautiful, being right in the water with them is breathtaking and fun.

If the Steve Irwin question comes up, just tell the kids that Steve was playing with the stingray equivalent of a wild mountain lion, not the Cayman Islands aquatic equivalent of the local stray cat that's willing to take a little bit of petting in exchange for a snack. the 'rays aren't exactly "tame" but they are well-used to having humans around them. Tell the kids to listen to your tourguides, follow their directions to ensure neither they nor the 'rays get hurt, and everybody will have a great time.

Dang, I truly wish I were going with you.:) Come back and tell us how it went!

• 1 month later...

There were a few kids on our tour and they LOVED the stingrays.. most do a snorkling tour to a couple reefs so I guess it depends if you want to look or be int he water looking.. Also kids can stand up in Stingray City and for the snorkling they had ropes they could hold on to.. I recommend Captain Marvins

Archived