After-cruise shore excursions in Ft Lauderdale

shellybell42

Has anyone done one of these? My flight doesn't leave until 4:30, and I have no idea what to do to occupy practically a whole day! Plus, I've got my luggage to drag around, which will be a bit of a pain, but I'll manage...

I noticed on the RCI website that there was a tour of Fort Lauderdale that drops you off at the airport, and I'm thinking of doing that. Any suggestions? I'm wondering about cancellation due to lack of interest, too...

We did a post-cruise sightseeing tour in Miami once, with an airport dropoff and it worked out great. Since your flight departs after 2:30 p.m. there are a couple of post-excursions that you can book with Royal Caribbean, including an airboat ride. Your luggage will be placed on the motorcoach for you during the excursion, and you'll be dropped off right at the Ft. Lauderdale airport afterwards. Just be careful when booking the excursion that you book the one with the Ft. Lauderdale return and not the Miami airport return! :)

We had the same issue after a cruise last spring. Through the boards I found out about a paddleboat tour of the intracoastal waterway. It is carriebcruises.com. I emailed them about luggage and they said they could accomodate luggage.

We ended up booking a post-cruise excursion through HAL which included a tour of FL plus a boat cruise and drop off at the airport. Coincidently (sp) the boat happened be the Carrie B!

Was a great tour, we saw homes of the "rich (and maybe now, not so rich) and famous". And the bit we saw of FL was nice. Made for a VERY long day flying back to CA, but still better than sitting in the airport all day.

Cheryl

Definitely do the Everglades tour! Your luggage will be placed onto the tour bus and locked. It's about a 30-minute bus ride from the port each way. You'll get to ride on an airboat through the Everglades (world's largest slow-moving river), and will be given earplugs, as the noise is deafening. The airboat will stop now and then, and alligators will be either sunning or swimming. ...right alongside your boat. You can get some great pictures! In addition, you'll get to see a video about the Seminole tribe, and there's a small zoo, with a Florida panther and other local wildlife. There is also an alligator pen with adult and baby alligators (which you can hold and have your picture taken). There's a gift shop and a hot dog/hamburger stand. We were there last in 2006, and some of the facility had been damaged by a hurricane in 2005. I'd been there three times before, and the place looked different after the hurricane. They also have a resident crane (rescued with broken wing and very tame). Think his name is Willie. You can buy small fish to feed him. It's definitely cheesy, and they take your picture everywhere (for $$), and constantly ask for donations, but it is a GREAT TOUR! The tour bus' guides are very knowledgeable, and the bus stops at both the MIA and FLL airports on the way back. My other adult kids had early flights, but myself and 23-year old youngest son had late flights, so we took the tour. Now, imagine this "I'm too cool for words" buff 23-year old kid, who didn't even want to do this tour, suddenly reverting to being six. He LOVED it! "Mom! Can we do it again?" Best cruise tour I've ever taken! Usually do my own thing.

Archived