snokel equipment

Savannah

Should we bring our own snokel mouthpiece? We are doing an excusion

and was concerned about using the mouthpiece on the snokel. Don't mind

using the fins and mask. Have never snokel before, if we buy one whats

the best kind to get?

Savannah - We had the same concerns as you regarding snorkel equipment. We ended up purchasing our own (for peace of mind) through snorkelcity.com. Although we were on an excursion once and used the ones they had, we felt uncomfortable doing so. Supposedly, most excursions sanitize the equipment after each use, but who really knows for sure???

Frankly we worry more about the mask than the snorkel itself. We have had bad luck with poor quality masks, ill-fitting masks, and generally crappy masks. I'm sure I've had my mouth on far worse things than a used snorkel.

Suzannah, After our first cruise we went out and brought our own snorkling gear. ONe reason was hubby wears glasses and need a prescription glass to see. Now we take it with us on all our cruises and don't have to worry about the condition of the gear and you can snorkle anywhere

ANN

I like to use my own gear, but the fins take up a lot of room. We've settled on buying the right kind of mask and one of those snorkels with the underwater valve, and then using the provided fins.

A compromise that saves room and is more comfortable.

Um...well I guess I am a minority here -- I don't mind using the rented ones, or the ones offered by the tours. Of course I would love to have my own, but hauling all that stuff for only an hour or two of snorkling isn't worth it to me. If snorkling was going to be my main activity at several ports I might think about it -- but I have always used the community gear and never once gotten sick from it (although I do some vigiorous cleaning of the mouth piece with little alcohol swabs I bring along just for piece of mind). Just thought I'd add a differing opinion here. If you can get your own and don't mind the space it will take up, certainly do it -- otherwise I thin it is pretty safe to use the rentals or tour equiptment. Also remember that if you take your own, you are responsible for carting it around the port after your excursion.

I highly recommend buying your own mask and snorkel. As a pp noted, if you wear prescription glasses, it's a must. The newer snorkels have a top valve, as well as the bottom drain- keeps the water from rushing in when you dive, and keeps the waves from flooding the tube. The mask and snorkel don't take up much room in the luggage. You can still rent the fins and vest. I don't use the fins. It's much quieter and although you'll move slower, I find that you'll see much more - some fish etc hide with loud noises

We bought our own (except fins). The mask and snorkel are usually sold as a set. I have seen them at Costco in the past (usually Spring/Summer). In California they are available year-round at sports stores such as Big 5 and Sports Chalet. I think they range in price from $15 to $30. I'm sure you can pay more, but as someone else said, if you only use them for 30 minutes on a cruise, do you really want to pay top dollar? It is nice to have your own, but we have also used the ones provided on the tours and haven't had any trouble with them. As someone mentioned, if you bring your own you have to carry them around all day which can be a drag when shopping. ;)

.... but as someone else said, if you only use them for 30 minutes on a cruise, do you really want to pay top dollar? It is nice to have your own, but we have also used the ones provided on the tours and haven't had any trouble with them. As someone mentioned, if you bring your own you have to carry them around all day which can be a drag when shopping. ;)

If you think that you'll never take another cruise, or vacation where you can snorkel or scuba dive, by all means rent. After my first snorkeling experience I was hooked ( I even bring them along on our Jersey shore vacations LOL). As far as how much to spend, I think that you can find good ones in the $20-$30 range, but I'm replacing mine with one with the top plug... all that tooting to clear the snorkel is a pain. And you have to have a mask that fits right and feels comfortable, and has a good viewing range.

Archived