Easiest ports in Florida?

CRUISING71

We like the ease of Port Canaveral the best! We have only cruised from there and Miami, but, PC was less stressful. We go a day early anyways, so we fly in, rent a car, drive to Cocoa Beach to spend the night then drop the car off at the rental place and catch the shuttle to the port. We usually book a ship excursion when we get off the ship to take up some time before heading to the airport.

I guess you will get all different answers. We also had that wait 2 1/2 hours in Ft Lauderdale Airport a few years ago. It was awful. This past Feb it was great.

Miami, We have done them a couple times. They were great and had no problems. Got right thru.

Orlando, we always rent a car from budget and stay at the Radisson at the port. Your kids would love it. Ride is so easy. Not much traffic. Ron Jon's is down the street. It is one of our favorites too. We already have them booked for next Feb on the new Dream.

Isn't Ft. Lauderdale airport right next door to the cruise terminal?

It is indeed. Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport is a 5 min. cab ride from Port Everglades. No car rental, no long drive, it can't be beat. I live 10 minutes from Port Everglades and we always try to cruise from this port. Even if you fly into Miami International for a Port of Miami departure, the airport is quite a ways away from the port. And if you fly into Orlando, there is a drive to Port Canaveral.

Don't forget the port of JACKSONVILLE! :)

Here is my opinion (and I have either sailed from or visited all of them!):

1. Ft. Lauderdale: Closest port to the airport. You literally fly right next to the cruise ships right before landing (when landing to the west). Quick and inexpensive cab drive. Cruise terminal which Carnival uses is not the best though.
  2. Tampa: 15 minute drive from the airport. VERY nice cruise terminal with shopping and restaurants within walking distance. The Florida Aquarium is also within walking distance.
  3. Miami: 15 minute drive (which can turn into an hour if the Palmetto expressway is backed up). Very nice and attractive new cruise terminal. If you're Platinum, they have a separate check in lounge behind closed doors which is a VERY nice perk. Cruise Terminal is in Dodge Island, but it's a quick cab drive to the Bayside Marketplace (if you have a few hours to kill).
  4. Port Canaveral: Yes. It's a long drive from the Orlando airport (41 miles). But it's a VERY easy drive on a straight expressway. Nice cruise terminal but nothing to do nearby.
  5. Jacksonville: 15 minute drive from the airport. Both the airport and the cruise terminal are north of the city of Jacksonville, so there's absolutely NO traffic. The terminal looks like a warehouse/afterthought but check in should be one of the easiest. The cruise terminal was literally built in an isolated part of an industrial area so don't expect anything to do near the port.

Yes, to all the above. Excellent feedback. I live in Florida so I've never had to deal with airports and always drive to the port.... this is all good advise.

Can't speak about cruise-the-same-day experience, but we LOVED Port Canaveral. Flew down the day before, spent the day at the Radisson Resort at the Port, and took the free shuttle the next morning to the Port. Literally five minutes from hotel to port. Only a 30 minute check-in time before we were on the ship. And did I mention the awesome pool at the Radisson? Other nice hotels in the area, and we had no trouble with dining options. Good luck to you.

Port Canaveral is my favorite....totally!

1. FLL/Port Everglades. The cab ride is about ten minutes less than Miami and about $10 cheaper. It is an easy airport to get in and out of. The port itself is a bit more complicated then Miami but not much.

2. Tampa. Easy cab ride and the airport isn't hard to get around. Port is easy to get to.

3. Miami: Fairly easy to get to port by cab but the airport is larger and harder to navigate. The port, itself, is the easiest.

4. Port Canaveral: LONG ride from Orlando to port.

Take care,

Mike

I'll second this!

It is indeed. Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport is a 5 min. cab ride from Port Everglades. No car rental, no long drive, it can't be beat. I live 10 minutes from Port Everglades and we always try to cruise from this port. Even if you fly into Miami International for a Port of Miami departure, the airport is quite a ways away from the port. And if you fly into Orlando, there is a drive to Port Canaveral.

The drive to Port Canaveral from Orlando is a really simple and straight shot...very nice drive, in facts. I made the drive earlier this year, though from the gulf coast...it nice in fact.

Archived