Flying with a 5 & 6 y/o

jerseygirl79

Take along some extra toys in case of technical glitches, flight delays or shear boredom. Some new toys that are wrapped up are always popular as are some snacks or light meals depending on the length of your flight. Small story books and activity books such as mazes are also great. I think Dover Books publishes small activity and sticker books that are only 3" x 4".

Have a great trip!

N.

P.S. I would also take along a change of clothing just in case of ... I sometimes take along a change of clothes for myself as well. I don't think I will ever forget the time that I watched a 4yr old throw up all over his mother :eek: at the start of their trip. Luckily she had a change of clothes with her.

A small emergency kit of medicine to help head off any queasy stomachs and stuffy noses wouldn't be a bad idea either.

N.

Bring some kind of straw/sippy/closed cup to avoid inevitable spills - especially with your laptop nearby. Bring your own food/snacks/drinks for the flight and add an hour or two to be prepared for since more often than not there are delays sitting on the tarmac, etc. without food/beverage service.

Best.

Mia

Don't pack a bunch of stuff. They will be thrilled to be on the plane for a first time and won't want to probably do too much anyway and you'll be stuck lugging around a heavy bag. If they are anything like my kids, if they can watch a movie and eat a snack they'll be fine.

On our flight to London this summer we sat on the runway for an hour and a half on flight #1. Our 4 hour layover turned into 10+ when flight #2 was delayed. 24 hours of travel with a 4 year old. The thrill of flying didn't last that long...

My best find was "Where's Waldo". This occupied her on the plane as well as on shore excursions. Along with sticker books, snacks, sippy cups and movies she did pretty well. The change of clothes also came in handy, as did the pajamas I put her in once we finally got on the second flight. For the 5 year old girl maybe a Barbie doll if she is into that. I brought some magnetic dress up dolls but it was too easy to lose the pieces. Color Wonder was great too. We also bought a kid safe camera and she was able to take her own pictures throughout the cruise. Very, very helpful...

The laptop should be headphone friendly. Having them view a movie is an excellent idea but the volume can be annoying to passengers in surrounding seats...

And it should have 2 headphone ports. If it doesn't, get a portable DVD player which does have 2 headphone ports. Having one child with headphones and one without will not work. If you try to play the laptop/DVD player without headphones, the flight attendant and/or fellow passengers will be on you pretty quickly.

Make sure they go to the bathroom before boarding. If they don't, they'll most likely be agitating to go during boarding or when the plane is landing or taking off.

I'm not sure if they are too young for this. My 10 yr old grandson has been flying since he's been an infant. We have always been well equipped for entertaining him but the last 4 years have been a breeze. He puts on his Ipod and is allowed unlimited play time on his handheld Nintendo DS(as long as the battery lasts). This very active kid sits very quietly and comfortably throughout the flight and both of these items are lightweight and easy to pack...

We will be flying with a 3 1/2, a 6, and a 7 1/2 year old next spring. Their first times on a plane.

I will bring our ipods with family friendly music loaded for them. They will be able to watch movies or tv on the plane as we plan to fly Jet Blue.

I am also planning to bring some color wonder activity kits for them.

All good advice! To add my two cents, unless you have a light notebook (or unless you need it on the trip as a computer) a cheap DVD player is smaller and lighter. They have them for as little as $60 up here in Canada, should be even cheaper in the US. We have 2, 1 for each DS. Each DS gets a small backpack with his DVD player, a soft-cover disk holder with 5-6 DVDs in it, their earphones and their own snacks. Maybe 5lbs, not heavy and they enjoy having their own supply of food.

We pack the same as we do for a car trip, except for drinks which can't go through security. I carry a change of clothes, crackers or granola bars, and a box of Mike & Ike's, which have somehow become a travel tradition.

DD packs her own backpack with whatever she wants, usually her Leapster, books, Littlest Pet Shop toys, and a sketch book and pencils. I tell her she can pack whatever she wants, but she has to carry it.

The big hit last month was a new portable white board with wipe off markers.

I love the idea of bringing your own sippy's with lids and drinks but the pp is right, you can't get the liquids past security. If you want to save some money, just bring the one serving powdered drink mixes in your purses and mix them with water when you get past security. I love juice and a couple weeks ago when I was in Denver airport I struggled finding bottled juice past security on the same wing as my gate. Which I thought was odd!

My dd5 is a frequent flyer. She packs and carries her own backpack with her Leapster (used mainly for traveling so she loves the unlimited play time), some crayons and a coloring/activity book or two. That, and some snacks, occupy her just fine. There's been many trips where she colored for half of it and played with the seat table and onboard magazines for the other half. For some reason, she loves the emergency card- lol.

Archived