$$$ question

julestx

We prefer to take cash to spend in ports.

Depends on what you are buying and where you are.

A place like Grand Cayman is more expensive for lunch, drinks, souveniers, etc. Cozumel for the very same things would be less.

If it is a tender port we take more, when the ship is docked we can take less. It is often a short walk back to the ship when docked, but can be a long tender ride (Belize).

We always take good old american greenbacks...we never use our CC in ports, even at restaurants and bars. We visited our bank last week and got our cash for our upcoming cruise. My wife loves to count it over and over...lol:)

We are lucky to have an account at a couple of Canadian banks (we are Canadians after all) and I know they have branches in the Georgetown with ATM's in case we need more. We really do not like relying on the ATM on the ship because we have heard that it may run dry later in the cruise.

We never make any 'major' purchases while in port, so don't use credit cards. Although I do carry one in case of an emergency.

Traveler's checks are almost impossible to cash in a port because of all the fraud possibilities. we quit using them a few years ago, but they can be cashed at the purser's desk.

I take cash in $100 bills and have them changed at the purser desk as needed. As mentioned above, small bills are best. I also do not carry all of my cash in one place (wallet), so if there are prying eyes, I look pretty poor.

Cash, CC or travelers' cheques all work in port...just depends on whether you want change in foreign currency or not.

As for those who want to use CCs...keep in mind that the exchange rate on your CC is often 2-4% on top of each purchase, but most purchases, would be negligible. If you are concerned about CC # theft, just be sure to call your CC prior to departure to advise them that purchases overseas may occur. I've never had a problem with my AMEX card at retailers that accept AMEX. cheers2.gif

Cash, CC or travelers' cheques all work in port...just depends on whether you want change in foreign currency or not.

As for those who want to use CCs...keep in mind that the exchange rate on your CC is often 2-4% on top of each purchase, but most purchases, would be negligible. If you are concerned about CC # theft, just be sure to call your CC prior to departure to advise them that purchases overseas may occur. I've never had a problem with my AMEX card at retailers that accept AMEX. cheers2.gif

I went to Canada last month and used a CC. They did do the exchange (which wasn't much being their money is worth about the same as ours) but they charged me 3% for them to do the exchange, I didn't know they did that because I don't usually charge when I am out of the country. So I say bring cash.

I went to Canada last month and used a CC. They did do the exchange (which wasn't much being their money is worth about the same as ours) but they charged me 3% for them to do the exchange, I didn't know they did that because I don't usually charge when I am out of the country. So I say bring cash.

He he he he...we Canadians are a sneaky bunch...:)

but it does sound like a big charge (3%), who charged that your bank or the Canadian vendor?

My post was mostly to educate those, such as yourself, who are not familiar with exchange rates on CCs. While I agree it is a pain to pay the fee for use of the CC...oftentime many of the vendors in port won't necessarily give you a straight conversion to US dollars either...

For example, I was in Cancun two weeks ago, and some vendors adhered to the 12.8 pesos = 1 USD, but many used a 10 to 1 equivalency if you paid in USD...so what's worse? Charging and paying a 2.7% upcharge on my AMEX or paying a 2.8% upcharge in USD and getting pesos back?

He he he he...we Canadians are a sneaky bunch...:)

but it does sound like a big charge (3%), who charged that your bank or the Canadian vendor?

Always the CC companies...check your agreements.

I do like Canadian ATMs though...no user fees for banks outside the system. :D

Archived