Group Activities??

AmyD102

Hello All!

I am getting married Sept 4, 2010 on the Carnival Miracle. We already have 73 sailing guests booked to attend our wedding/cruise.

I was wondering if anyone else had done any get-to-know-you/fun activities for your groups while on the ship. We were considering doing a decorate your door contest so we could identify our group members from everyone else or maybe some get to know each other games at dinner.

We weren't sure if this would be to cheesy or if anyone had any other fun ideas for our group since its very diverse (he's Spanish and I'm not) and our families/friends don't really know each other that well yet.

Thanks for any help!

Amy

Hi Amy!

We're in the same boat! FI's family mostly speaks Spanish and my family doesn't, so I know how that is. My group and I are planning a couple of activities, but nothing that requires actual work or anything. Are you booked as a group? We're having a group cocktail party, so this will be a chance for everyone to break the ice. We're also planning a couple of group excursions- a brewery tour in Mazatlan, and a yacht tour in Cabo.

I tried to steer clear of too many organized activities, since it's also a vacation for everyone.

Wow tons of guests! We did a welcome dinner before we set sail and the last night of the cruise we all met up at one of the bars. I love the door decorating idea but I don't know if you'd have time to do it, I didn't have much free time, it might be easier to have people met up for ice cream or something.

First congrats on your wedding. I was married on the Miracle May 8 and it was awesome!!! You will love it!

There were only 10 of us sailing so we didn't need to do any getting to know you activities. It will be difficult to get 73 people organized for an activity at dinner. You'll likely have different waiters and with the food ordering, eating, and singing and dancing by the waiters; there's a lot going on.

I like the suggestions for a dinner beforehand if possible. You have a lot of personalities and they are on vacation, so everyone may not want to do organized events.

Have you thought about speaking with your PVP or TA about renting a lounge and having a meet and greet of sorts? I'm not sure of the costs but it's an option to get everyone together during the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Amy!

We're in the same boat! FI's family mostly speaks Spanish and my family doesn't, so I know how that is. My group and I are planning a couple of activities, but nothing that requires actual work or anything. Are you booked as a group? We're having a group cocktail party, so this will be a chance for everyone to break the ice. We're also planning a couple of group excursions- a brewery tour in Mazatlan, and a yacht tour in Cabo.

I tried to steer clear of too many organized activities, since it's also a vacation for everyone.

Thanks everyone for the responses, sorry i haven't replied earlier my comp has a virus, so i had to wait to come back on!!! Soo aggravating!!

But that's besides the point..lol

We did book as a group and we are getting a cocktail party and a large group photo done on one of the formal nights since our group is so big. I was just thinking of maybe some trivia to do during dinner so everyone can mingle, and get the chance to get some free prizes(we were thinking free drink coupons) But I'm not sure if anyone would enjoy it, or if we should just let people do their own thing.

I had a question for holstang, we were thinking of having 4 poems instead of two during the ceremony (2 in english and 2 in spanish) and maybe seeing if we can mix our reception music to accomodate both cultures, have you chosen to do anything like this, and do u think the cruise line will let us??

Thanks All!!

Amy

Hi Amy!

I'm in the middle of talking with TWE regarding a couple of special requests that I have. So I'll let you know how that goes.

I didn't incorporate any spanish poems into our ceremony, I honestly disn't even think about it. But for the most part, they do understand english, so I'm not worried about it. But if it's something that you feel is important, then let them know you want to request this.

Instead of a sand or candle ceremony, we are doing a wine blending ceremony. I'll let you know how accommodating they are for that. I also requested possibly having on of the ship guitarists come and play a song for us during the reception, although I don't even know if this is possible. I wanted him to play Hotel California, since it's my dad's song.

There are so many activities on the ship, if they want to do something, they will. And most likely your party will all congregate together!

We had 60 sailing guests. We did not do any formal activities during the cruise, other than the wedding and reception. But we did choose a different bar or lounge each night to gather for pre-dinner cocktails.

Everyone didn't make it every night, but that was the point. By making it informal and flexible, our guests didn't have to plan the day around it. And since folks did very different things during the day, it became a good time for people to plan after dinner activities and to coordinate the next day's port plans.

Archived