Cozumel Reef Condition

londonbridge247

I've heard that Cozumel's reefs are not in good condition right now because of a Hurricane Wilma. Is this still the case? We're debating between a Southern and Western Caribbean cruise and would like to snorkel or dive in Cozumel if we choose Western.

Give us a little more information on the ports of call for both itineraries and we will try to give you a better review of each port as far as diving and topside activities. With all the Caribbean within a few hours of my hometown, Houston TX for diving I almost always pick Cozumel.

Topside on this island is somewhat limited if staying for a week or more but a single day on this island by cruise ship has plenty to offer. The underwater aquarium like reefs of this island are breathtaking and hard consistently beat day in and day out. Yes sir pre Wilma was even better than it is now but the reefs and sea life surrounding Cozumel are still better than most places in the world for diving. If you have the option to do either (certified to dive) I would by far recommend diving as the deeper you get the less damage from Wilma. Snorkeling is still not nearly as good as it was before the storm and might never be as good as it was in our lifetime but the diving is again first class. Here is a link to our pictures of Cozumel and several of the southern Caribbean islands. http://community.webshots.com/user/diverearl I tend to photograph fish and other critters more than the reef (wish I had a better light system for my camera) but the walls and canyons are second to none with color and sea life.

If you do go to any deep dive be sure to bring a good light even during the day to enhance the true color of the sea. As you probably know things that wouldn't even catch your eye will stop you in your fins with a little beam of light 20' to 130'+ deep.

2162143410091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2378877820091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2493087660091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2986382220091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

The two itineraries we're considering are Western Caribbean from Galveston (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica) and Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale (St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts). I'm certified but my wife is not. I probably won't dive this time. Just snorkel. If we do Western Caribbean, we're planning on snorkeling at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. Thanks for the input.

The two itineraries we're considering are Western Caribbean from Galveston (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica) and Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale (St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts). I'm certified but my wife is not. I probably won't dive this time. Just snorkel. If we do Western Caribbean, we're planning on snorkeling at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. Thanks for the input.

For topside the Southern itinerary is by far our pick of the two. All three islands are extremely beautiful.

Archived