Is Caye Caulker safe for single woman traveler?

cherylroslyn

I am traveling to Belize alone in November. I would like to take a water taxi to Caye Caulker and maybe rent a bike and go to the split or wander around...swim ....eat....drink..whatever..... In daylight will it be ok? Anyone see a problem with this plan...honestly????

I am traveling to Belize alone in November. I would like to take a water taxi to Caye Caulker and maybe rent a bike and go to the split or wander around...swim ....eat....drink..whatever..... In daylight will it be ok? Anyone see a problem with this plan...honestly????

No problem with your plan at all. To be 100% safe, I would only go from where the water taxi drops you off down the main street in town to the split. We (two women) have rented golf carts and gone over the island, but my friend knows the island well and we know where we are going. We are never afraid, but again, we know the back side of the island. You should have a wonderful safe time. I wouldn't go in anyone's house or let them buy you a drink thinking that you were interested, but just being a tourist, no problem. The other stuff goes for anywhere a woman may travel alone.

No problem with your plan at all. To be 100% safe, I would only go from where the water taxi drops you off down the main street in town to the split. We (two women) have rented golf carts and gone over the island, but my friend knows the island well and we know where we are going. We are never afraid, but again, we know the back side of the island. You should have a wonderful safe time. I wouldn't go in anyone's house or let them buy you a drink thinking that you were interested, but just being a tourist, no problem. The other stuff goes for anywhere a woman may travel alone.

Thanks...now I feel better!!!!

Personally, I would not go "on my own" in Belize, traveling alone or otherwise. This is one island I would book through the ship. There is a "Beach Break" to Calkner that I have taken twice that is really nice. Relaxing, clean and enjoyable.

We just went to Caye Caulker last Thursday, October 1, off the Carnival Legend. We took the San Pedro Express Water Taxi. There is absolutely no reason to go to Caye Caulker. The taxi was fine and reasonable enough at $12.50 round trip. It was pouring rain when we got into the tender in Belize, pouring as we entered the Cruise Ship Village and pouring all the way to Caye Caulker. I'm telling you this because maybe our experience was slanted due to the bad weather. To get to the water taxi you do have to go out of the gate, but it is a quick left then another left. You aren't outside the gate a minute or two. We arrived at Caye Caulker in pouring rain. We got a golf cart taxi driver to show us the island for $20. There was nothing to do or see except a lot of rundown houses, fallen down trees, very bumpy wet roads, and sand flies that bit the heck out of me and my sister. I couldn't keep my legs clear of them while swatting constantly at one point. We told the taxi driver to take us back for the next water taxi or we would have had to wait two hours for the next. When we returned to the Cruise Ship Village the shops and bars were now open and it had quit raining and it was kind of cool.

Archived