Anything to do right at the port in Cozumel?

chaderic

Is there much to do right at the port when you get off the boat in Cozumel? Shopping? Beach? Snorkeling? I've heard of many people booking excursions at other ports and then wishing they had just hung around the port and saved the money because there was plenty to see and do right there. (Jamaica, however, is a place where everyone said to definitly book an excursion, but Grand Cayman has a lot of walking distance stuff right there...) So what about Cozumel? Again... Beach? Snorkel? Shopping? Thanks!:D

This is a Carnival thread, so I'm assuming Puerta Maya pier. If so, there is a shopping plaza adjacent to the pier (and duty-free shopping inside the pier), which includes a Pancho's Backyard.

Turn north outside the shopping plaza, you can find a beach within walking distance with snorkeling (though not that good) hidden among the hotels opposite the next-door International Pier. Ask a local to point out the underwater plane crashed during filming of a James Bond movie.

Correction - this is NOT a Carnival thread - it's a thread for anyone coming to Cozumel. Sometimes Carnival ships do port at Playa Langusta.

WOW

TN, don't sweat it. Many of us forget which thread we are in.

But Karlanee was almost right. It's a thread for anyone GOING to Cozumel.

Dolly

WOW

TN, don't sweat it. Many of us forget which thread we are in.

But Karlanee was almost right. It's a thread for anyone GOING to Cozumel.

Dolly

Dolly, is there a reason for you to yell at me when I was simply correcting a fellow poster? I was not being rude - didn't mean to sound that way. I just wanted to make sure TN knew it wasn't a board just for Carnival ships. I'm not biased - I'm a Carnival cruiser - exclusively so far - but I also know as you said, it's easy to forget where you are at with so many threads out there to look at. Of course I'm one of those posters who jumps all over the boards to find information because there is so much information here that sometimes it can get buried in a thread totally different from where it should be.

Sorry if you thought I was being mean. I wasn't trying to. I was just trying to emphasize the word NOT so as to not confuse anyone.

Conquest usually docks at Puerta Maya but has recently pulled into Punta Langosta too. But can't recall it ever being at TMM. Puerta Maya has nice shopping right there but not great eating. Snorkeling within 1 mile walking distance across from Papa Hog's at Villa Blanca reef - rental equipment available. Punta Langosta has good shopping too - Baskin Robbins! And it has the advantage of being right on the edge of downtown where you can walk and shop and eat.

Big Ed, sorry the Princess line uses various piers, I can't see the pattern quite yet. Please post again as we get closer to your cruise date and I'll be happy to give you a better idea.

cert4me: The Sun docks at the Punta Langosta pier. There will be nine ships in town according to the schedule.

Everyone, please note that none of this is cast in cement. Pier assignments generally have a pattern but can change on any occassion. Carnival generally uses Puerta Maya. Norwegian generally uses Punta Langosta. It depends alot on how many ships are in town and which one gets here first.

Hi Sally,

I'm wondering about a day in May (20th specifically). I am cruising the Valor and notice that 3 ships are in port that day. Do Carnival ships always dock at Puerta Maya or is there a chance they might dock at Punta Langosta? I docked in Punta Langosta last November (2003) and found it very convenient to shops and restaurants that I want to visit again. Any info would be great!

Thanks!

phlydude: Carnival docks at the Puerta Maya pier unless it is full. Since there are only three ships in town and one is RCI and they generally dock at the International pier, that leaves both Puerta Maya berths open for the two Carnival ships. It is highly unlikely they will dock elsewhere. Sorry.

phlydude: Carnival docks at the Puerta Maya pier unless it is full. Since there are only three ships in town and one is RCI and they generally dock at the International pier, that leaves both Puerta Maya berths open for the two Carnival ships. It is highly unlikely they will dock elsewhere. Sorry.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. It's actually good since I will get to see more of Cozumel!!! :D

Its been 10yrs since the last cruise there, but there is tons to do. You can definately feel good about no shore excursion here. Cabs are cheaper away from the pier, sitting cabs are premium as they are there waiting for you, just hail one on the street. Snorkeling is great. An easy place is Chanukah (not sure on spelling). Not far and it is a park with facilities. I believe it may be about 10.00 to get in. If you are planning to snorkel pick a place that has rock as the fish are there. If the ad reads powder sand then there is likely minimal rock and that mean less fish.If you are there most of the day into the eve, go back to the boat for a late lunch then head to town, San Miguel to shop. Dont hesitate to venture 3 or 4 streets off the main area, youll get better deals and they love to barter. A trip to Mexico is not complete with out a Margarita.

Go to the locals...Kathy's Pizza is a good spot. When we were there they served them 2 for $5. Be prepared to be double fisted and you will definatly get your monies worth if you know what I mean. You can fill your day with several activities and only spend $20-25 per person.

Is there much to do right at the port when you get off the boat in Cozumel? Shopping? Beach? Snorkeling? I've heard of many people booking excursions at other ports and then wishing they had just hung around the port and saved the money because there was plenty to see and do right there. (Jamaica, however, is a place where everyone said to definitly book an excursion, but Grand Cayman has a lot of walking distance stuff right there...) So what about Cozumel? Again... Beach? Snorkel? Shopping? Thanks!:D

Thanks. Funny, there was no pier at Carlos and Charlies when I was there last. Ive heard there has been tons of growth. So really all 3 piers are close to downtown, Punta Langosta is right there. Gee we will miss eachother by 2 weeks.

There are 3 piers. The International and Puerta Maya are close together and up to the right if looking towards the land from the ship. The Punta Langosta is the one across from Carlos and Charlie's and Senor Frogs.

Archived