Cabin upgrade while on board?

Katar

We are sailing Dawn to Bermuda on Oct 4 in an inside cabin. This is our 4th cruise (all with NCL), and in the past we have stayed in an inside, oceanview and balcony cabins. We got a really good price for this trip but the catch was that we had to book inside. Being that we are just a few days from departure, our cruise is paid for in full. I am curious however, if it would be possible to upgrade to an oceanview or a balcony while we are on board. This will obviously depend on availability and the price but what are the odds that both of these factors will be in our favor? Any thoughts on this?

I agree with sunedaze, but it is possible to upgrade after you board, if cabins are available. But if you really want an OV or balcony, I'd do it now. If it doesn't matter that much to you, then waiting could cost less.

Not sure if you can upgrade while onboard, but why don't you check what cabins are still available on your cruise and call beforehand to upgrade?

If you booked direct with NCL, call.

If you booked through a TA, have them call.

I was upgraded on our Nov. cruise and I saw a few others were also at no additional cost.

Give it a try!

We have had friends get upgraded on board. They even send porter to move your stuff.

Calling before you board is a better idea.

They won't even talk to you about this until the ship is underway & all the luggage is delivered b/c they just don't have the resources to do much else until then.

I agree with the rest if at all possible call before you go. But, yes you can get an upgrade if available. We just went on a 1-nighter and got an upgrade to a suite. If you don't call before you go when you board go directly to the reception desk and ask if anything is available. There were several people ahead of us on the list but we still got one. :D

We are sailing Dawn to Bermuda on Oct 4 in an inside cabin. This is our 4th cruise (all with NCL), and in the past we have stayed in an inside, oceanview and balcony cabins. We got a really good price for this trip but the catch was that we had to book inside. Being that we are just a few days from departure, our cruise is paid for in full. I am curious however, if it would be possible to upgrade to an oceanview or a balcony while we are on board. This will obviously depend on availability and the price but what are the odds that both of these factors will be in our favor? Any thoughts on this?

I would call. I took a look and they only have oceanviews and balconies available.

I found this.... Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Dawn

Departing from New York, New York

On October 4, 2009

Guests: 2 adults

Category (click for more info) Location Member Rate*

Balcony Stateroom (BE) Balcony 747.76

Balcony Stateroom (BC) Balcony 1000.66

Balcony Stateroom (BB) Balcony 1000.66

OP.. I hate to pop anyones bubble.. but I also like people to know the real deal... and the truth is once you are onboard the chances are slim to none. If you want it now, call them and see what you can work out. And please come back and let us know what you decide and especially come back and tell us about your cruise.

OP.. I hate to pop anyones bubble.. but I also like people to know the real deal... and the truth is once you are onboard the chances are slim to none. If you want it now, call them and see what you can work out. And please come back and let us know what you decide and especially come back and tell us about your cruise.

Chances may be slim, but they are not none. I have firsthand knowledge of an upgrade on second day of a cruise, with porters used as mentioned above.

They are definitely not none. We once had a room that was on deck 4 on the Majesty which we just couldn't stay in. It smelled like an ashtray and we just couldn't breathe in there. Of course they said they couldn't move because it was a sell out. Next morning magically a room was available. We ended up moving up to deck 7. Porters took care of everything. Another time we got a call the first day at sea while on the Pearl asking if we would be interested in moving from our BB balcony to a penthouse, for a nominal fee. Kicking ourselves that we didn't even check it out.

This thread reminded me of my first cruise in 2001 on USS Norway. My son (19) and I were in the bowels of the ship aft. While standing in line to check in we were talking to several people who were going directly to the pursers desk to get a free upgrade. We had NO idea of what they were talking about. We had the tiniest cabin with a set of bunk beds, 3/4 bath that was about 6 ft. square and the hum of the propeller to rock us to sleep. It was my favorite cruise that I will always remember fondly. I've since cruised NCL in a few suites and have a couple more booked but I will always remember the rocking and swaying and humming in the bowels.

Point of story: some of those people did indeed get free upgrades and some didn't. I wouldn't have traded my little slice of heaven cabin for anything and it will always be my favorite cruise. Bigger isn't always better.:)

Thanks for a great thread.

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. Considering what we paid for our cabin on deck 4 (in the bowels), and given the cost of any other at this time, it is highly unlikely that we will upgrade. We trully got a one of a kind deal this time - 7 day cruise from NY to Bermuda for a total of $1280 for both us, and thats including all taxes and port charges! Needless to say, I am not complaining. The only reason I started this discussion is because on our last years cruise (also on Dawn and same itenerary), we had an obstructed view cabin. On day 3, our ceiling sprang a small leak. Before we had a chance to make any requests, NCL moved us to a mini suite :D Perhaps we got lucky that an empty cabin was available (I was thinking of sneaking an electric drill and a wrench on this sailing so that we can get lucky again :rolleyes:). Or maybe its quite common to have a few spare cabins on each cruise. In any case, we are thrilled about our trip regardless of what kind of cabin we will have.

Archived