What are the "MUST SEE" & "not to miss" South American Cruise Destinations

swdke

I am interested in taking a cruise to South America, but there are many options and choices. I think I'd like to hit all the highlight, or must see cities. Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with South American cruise ports. Hoping people here can share their opinions on what are the "must see" destinations or ports, or what "not to miss." Thanks.

I have previously sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Buenos Aires. Most of the ports in Brazil except Rio are not big tourist destinations. They do not get many large cruise ships and English is not very common in the general public. If you like old building and history then there is lots to see as well as nice beaches. In Rio going up Sugar Loaf Mnts and Mt Cordova are the two biggest things. I'm going from LA to Rio this fall. For me the main draw on that cruise is rounding the tip of South America and going to the Falkland Is. Except to see lots of great views and wildlife in Puanta Arenes, Ushusia and Port Stanley. I'll be there mid Dec which is just about the start of thier summer but weather will still be cool/cold.

In your case it would be good to go and check out some of the ship reviews from last winter. Some of them have great info on the ports.

Wayne S.

Hello,

Buenos Aires...a very interesting city overall, See Recoleta Cemetery, a tango show, walk around Puerto Madero, along the River Plata.

Punta Del Este Uruguay...a truly beautiful very upscale beach town

Puerto Madryn...take an ecotour to see the penguins and sea animals.

Ushaia...a wonderful travel experience, but you can see the city by walking around for about an hour. Do not miss a catamaran ride of the beagle Strait and a trip to Tierra Del Fuego National Park.

Be sure you are out on deck when the ship approached Cape Horn.

Valparaiso and Vina Del Mar, Chile. Interesting places to visit.

Archived