St. John Trunk Bay review from 9-21-09

terryde

We took the ferry from Red Hook. Took buses from Kmart (flag down any bus, even private ones charge the same, about $1.50 each) and it was fairly quick to Red Hook. Make sure you get there early (we got off the ship right after docked) as this plan takes time and you spend a lot of time in transit!

Then at Cruz Bay, on St. John, taxis are ready to take you to Trunk Bay. We liked it there, but used Coki in St thomas twice before and my DH honestly thought it was better at Coki. Good snorkeling both places and much quieter (at least in Sept in the morning) at Trunk Bay. We had to hustle back - the ferry was ready to take us and if we missed that one they had cancelled a later ferry that day. We took the 1pm - the 2pm was cancelled and the next was 3:45. We needed to board by 4:30. Then back to a bus (that came right away), and back to ship with time to shop/drink beer for about an hour.

what time did you dock? how crowded was the ferry back from St Johns? I am on freedom next week and it docks at st thomas at 11:00. I really ant to go to St Johns but worry abut time frame getting to and back. thanks

The ferries from Cruz bay, St John to Red Hook leave every hour on the hour........There is no 3:45 ferry to Red Hook. There may be a ferry from Cruz bay to Charlotte Amalie at 3:45.

I have never heard them cancelling one of the hourly ferry rides to Red Hook.....it just doesn't happen.....it is possible that the cancelled ferry referred to above was also to Charlotte Amalie.

Archived